Canadian Sisters Separated 47 Years Back Reunited Through Facebook
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 19, 2014 11:50 AM EST
Two Canadian sisters who had been separated nearly half a century back got reunited.
Sandra Barron and Eva Rushton met with each other 47 years after they had been places in separate foster homes in Nova Scotia. Rushton was just two when she saw her sister last time in a court house. Her sister, Barron, was only five that time. It was not possible for little Rushton to understand where her sister had gone until she grew up. Child Services informed her about her sister whose whereabouts were not known at that time.
According to CTV News, Rushton tried looking for her sister for the first time when she became an adult. While she could not find her sister that time, she started looking for Barron again when she was 26. However, she could not have enough information about her long-lost sister as disclosing information was against provincial policies. "I never quite fit into foster care. I always felt alone," Rushton said.
Barron, on the other hand, relocated to Ontario when she was a teenager as she had hoped for reuniting with her biological mother. "Time goes by and before you know it, you're older. A lot of years have gone by," Barron said. Her sister Rushton, meanwhile, resorted to Facebook in search of her sister. She created a Facebook page called "Missing Sister Rushton" in February 2014 and received 13,000 shares in no time. Barron was one of the people whom the page made curious about.
Barron got in touch with Rushton through Facebook and kept contact with her through message or phone-calls. They have also been in touch through the social networking Web site. It was only on Saturday, May 16, when Barron went to Nova Scotia and met her sister whom she had seen years ago. The sisters are apparently looking forward to getting to know each other. "It's like a puzzle and the missing piece is there, and I've got all I need now," Barron said. "It's nice to say you know your family."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence