Canadian Sisters Separated 47 Years Back Reunited Through Facebook
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 19, 2014 11:50 AM EST
Two Canadian sisters who had been separated nearly half a century back got reunited.
Sandra Barron and Eva Rushton met with each other 47 years after they had been places in separate foster homes in Nova Scotia. Rushton was just two when she saw her sister last time in a court house. Her sister, Barron, was only five that time. It was not possible for little Rushton to understand where her sister had gone until she grew up. Child Services informed her about her sister whose whereabouts were not known at that time.
According to CTV News, Rushton tried looking for her sister for the first time when she became an adult. While she could not find her sister that time, she started looking for Barron again when she was 26. However, she could not have enough information about her long-lost sister as disclosing information was against provincial policies. "I never quite fit into foster care. I always felt alone," Rushton said.
Barron, on the other hand, relocated to Ontario when she was a teenager as she had hoped for reuniting with her biological mother. "Time goes by and before you know it, you're older. A lot of years have gone by," Barron said. Her sister Rushton, meanwhile, resorted to Facebook in search of her sister. She created a Facebook page called "Missing Sister Rushton" in February 2014 and received 13,000 shares in no time. Barron was one of the people whom the page made curious about.
Barron got in touch with Rushton through Facebook and kept contact with her through message or phone-calls. They have also been in touch through the social networking Web site. It was only on Saturday, May 16, when Barron went to Nova Scotia and met her sister whom she had seen years ago. The sisters are apparently looking forward to getting to know each other. "It's like a puzzle and the missing piece is there, and I've got all I need now," Barron said. "It's nice to say you know your family."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal