Canadian Sisters Separated 47 Years Back Reunited Through Facebook
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 19, 2014 11:50 AM EST
Two Canadian sisters who had been separated nearly half a century back got reunited.
Sandra Barron and Eva Rushton met with each other 47 years after they had been places in separate foster homes in Nova Scotia. Rushton was just two when she saw her sister last time in a court house. Her sister, Barron, was only five that time. It was not possible for little Rushton to understand where her sister had gone until she grew up. Child Services informed her about her sister whose whereabouts were not known at that time.
According to CTV News, Rushton tried looking for her sister for the first time when she became an adult. While she could not find her sister that time, she started looking for Barron again when she was 26. However, she could not have enough information about her long-lost sister as disclosing information was against provincial policies. "I never quite fit into foster care. I always felt alone," Rushton said.
Barron, on the other hand, relocated to Ontario when she was a teenager as she had hoped for reuniting with her biological mother. "Time goes by and before you know it, you're older. A lot of years have gone by," Barron said. Her sister Rushton, meanwhile, resorted to Facebook in search of her sister. She created a Facebook page called "Missing Sister Rushton" in February 2014 and received 13,000 shares in no time. Barron was one of the people whom the page made curious about.
Barron got in touch with Rushton through Facebook and kept contact with her through message or phone-calls. They have also been in touch through the social networking Web site. It was only on Saturday, May 16, when Barron went to Nova Scotia and met her sister whom she had seen years ago. The sisters are apparently looking forward to getting to know each other. "It's like a puzzle and the missing piece is there, and I've got all I need now," Barron said. "It's nice to say you know your family."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June