NBA Trade News: Lakers Target Deron Williams, Kevin Love; GM Mitch Kupchak Looks To Trade First-Rounder For Stars
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 19, 2014 11:24 AM EST
Lakers Trade Rumors - The Los Angeles Lakers are reportedly considering the idea of trading their first round lottery pick in an attempt to land another star to pair with superstar shooting guard Kobe Bryant next season.
Mitch Kupchak might pull off a shocker days leading up to the NBA Draft.
The first-round pick, the Lakers' only significant assets, could be used in a package to get the service of All-Star caliber players such as Kevin Love of the Minnesota Timberwolves and Deron Williams of the Brooklyn Nets, who are both asking their respective teams for an exit, according to reports.
"Mitch Kupchak says he is willing to trade current pick (1-9) for good offer. Also wants to trade for another pick for middle/late 1st round," Mark Medina of Los Angeles Daily News last week.
Love has been under the Lakers radar for quite some time now, but the double-double forward denied all speculations about his chance of playing with the storied franchise during the season. However, a report from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports indicated Love is already asking through his reps the Wolves' management for a trade.
"Beyond the coaching search, the Wolves are under pressure to start considering trade scenarios for Love, who's anxious to exercise his Early Termination Option (ETO) in the summer of 2015 and leave as a free agent, league sources said," via Lakers Nation on Sunday.
"For the first time, [Saunders] sounds like looking at deals for [Love] is an option," one rival executive told Yahoo Sports."
Another target for the Lakers is veteran point guard Deron Williams, who has been subpar for the past two seasons in Brooklyn. Williams, former perennial All-Star, wants to get out from his current situation with the Nets in hope of reviving his career with a championship contender team.
Sports Illustrated reported the Nets could consider putting Williams on the trading block, if the point guard continues to push his request.
"There is an alternative, sources told the Sports Illustrated. "The Nets will not rule out: They could look to trade Williams this summer, retool around Johnson and Lopez, squeeze one more run out of Pierce and Garnett and hope for the best."
NBA pundits are keeping their eyes close on the Lakers, who could really make a big splash on the free-agency market or the trading front this offseason.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims