NBA Trade News: Lakers Target Deron Williams, Kevin Love; GM Mitch Kupchak Looks To Trade First-Rounder For Stars
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 19, 2014 11:24 AM EST
Lakers Trade Rumors - The Los Angeles Lakers are reportedly considering the idea of trading their first round lottery pick in an attempt to land another star to pair with superstar shooting guard Kobe Bryant next season.
Mitch Kupchak might pull off a shocker days leading up to the NBA Draft.
The first-round pick, the Lakers' only significant assets, could be used in a package to get the service of All-Star caliber players such as Kevin Love of the Minnesota Timberwolves and Deron Williams of the Brooklyn Nets, who are both asking their respective teams for an exit, according to reports.
"Mitch Kupchak says he is willing to trade current pick (1-9) for good offer. Also wants to trade for another pick for middle/late 1st round," Mark Medina of Los Angeles Daily News last week.
Love has been under the Lakers radar for quite some time now, but the double-double forward denied all speculations about his chance of playing with the storied franchise during the season. However, a report from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports indicated Love is already asking through his reps the Wolves' management for a trade.
"Beyond the coaching search, the Wolves are under pressure to start considering trade scenarios for Love, who's anxious to exercise his Early Termination Option (ETO) in the summer of 2015 and leave as a free agent, league sources said," via Lakers Nation on Sunday.
"For the first time, [Saunders] sounds like looking at deals for [Love] is an option," one rival executive told Yahoo Sports."
Another target for the Lakers is veteran point guard Deron Williams, who has been subpar for the past two seasons in Brooklyn. Williams, former perennial All-Star, wants to get out from his current situation with the Nets in hope of reviving his career with a championship contender team.
Sports Illustrated reported the Nets could consider putting Williams on the trading block, if the point guard continues to push his request.
"There is an alternative, sources told the Sports Illustrated. "The Nets will not rule out: They could look to trade Williams this summer, retool around Johnson and Lopez, squeeze one more run out of Pierce and Garnett and hope for the best."
NBA pundits are keeping their eyes close on the Lakers, who could really make a big splash on the free-agency market or the trading front this offseason.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Iphone 6 Release Date Fast -Approaching, Reuse and Recycle Program Now in Australia