‘The Voice Australia’: Former NRL WAG Maybelle Galuvao Gets Second Shot at Stardom
By Anne Lu | May 19, 2014 7:16 AM EST
“The Voice Australia” contestant Maybelle Galuvao is no stranger to fame. She isn’t just the wife of former Auckland Warriors player Joe Galuvao, she’s also a star of her own rights when she travelled around Europe to perform as part of the girl group Ma-V-Elle.
That was over 15 years ago. With her New Zealand high school friends Lavina Williams and Mavina Davis, Maybelle was able to release two albums, showing signs of attaining international success She postponed following her dreams to prioritise her family.
But now that Joe is retired from playing in the National Rugby League, Maybelle wants to give stardom another shot, and auditioning for “The Voice Australia” was her first step.
“We released two albums, travelled around Europe and did so much for maybe five years and it was great but once me and Joe got married and had our daughter we just wanted to really focus on our family for a time,” she told the Daily Telegraph.
The death of her Samoan father, who was also her musical mentor, drove her to try out her luck in the highly rated talent show.
Her husband and their kids, 15-year-old daughter Praise and nine-year-old son Judah, have been her “cheerleaders” through the whole time, encouraging her to follow her long-abandoned dreams.
“The kids are so proud of their mother and to see what she loves doing on TV,” Joe told the paper. “It was a great moment for us. I guess it’s inspired them to know their mum is out there reaching for her dreams. That she faced the fears and the scrutiny but still reached for what she wants in life.”
Maybelle nailed it the first round during the blind audition. Her rendition of “Gravity” was called “stunning” by coach Kylie Minogue, who was excited to see her join her team.
Also as successful as Maybelle on Sunday night’s blind audition were high school teacher Josh McDonald (Team Ricky Martin), Mia Morrissey (Team Ricky), Blake Leggett (Team Joel Madden), and Julian Simonsz, who, after turning all four coaches’ chairs, decided to go with coach will.i.am’s team.
‘The Voice Australia’ Contestant Zaachariah Fielding of ZK Says He Doesn’t Need to Apologise for Snubbing Kylie Minogue
‘The Voice Australia’ Contestant Jess Berney Wows Coaches with Operatic Vocals, But Not All Viewers are Impressed [VIDEO]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff