‘The Voice Australia’: Former NRL WAG Maybelle Galuvao Gets Second Shot at Stardom
By Anne Lu | May 19, 2014 7:16 AM EST
“The Voice Australia” contestant Maybelle Galuvao is no stranger to fame. She isn’t just the wife of former Auckland Warriors player Joe Galuvao, she’s also a star of her own rights when she travelled around Europe to perform as part of the girl group Ma-V-Elle.
That was over 15 years ago. With her New Zealand high school friends Lavina Williams and Mavina Davis, Maybelle was able to release two albums, showing signs of attaining international success She postponed following her dreams to prioritise her family.
But now that Joe is retired from playing in the National Rugby League, Maybelle wants to give stardom another shot, and auditioning for “The Voice Australia” was her first step.
“We released two albums, travelled around Europe and did so much for maybe five years and it was great but once me and Joe got married and had our daughter we just wanted to really focus on our family for a time,” she told the Daily Telegraph.
The death of her Samoan father, who was also her musical mentor, drove her to try out her luck in the highly rated talent show.
Her husband and their kids, 15-year-old daughter Praise and nine-year-old son Judah, have been her “cheerleaders” through the whole time, encouraging her to follow her long-abandoned dreams.
“The kids are so proud of their mother and to see what she loves doing on TV,” Joe told the paper. “It was a great moment for us. I guess it’s inspired them to know their mum is out there reaching for her dreams. That she faced the fears and the scrutiny but still reached for what she wants in life.”
Maybelle nailed it the first round during the blind audition. Her rendition of “Gravity” was called “stunning” by coach Kylie Minogue, who was excited to see her join her team.
Also as successful as Maybelle on Sunday night’s blind audition were high school teacher Josh McDonald (Team Ricky Martin), Mia Morrissey (Team Ricky), Blake Leggett (Team Joel Madden), and Julian Simonsz, who, after turning all four coaches’ chairs, decided to go with coach will.i.am’s team.
‘The Voice Australia’ Contestant Zaachariah Fielding of ZK Says He Doesn’t Need to Apologise for Snubbing Kylie Minogue
‘The Voice Australia’ Contestant Jess Berney Wows Coaches with Operatic Vocals, But Not All Viewers are Impressed [VIDEO]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed