‘The Voice Australia’: Former NRL WAG Maybelle Galuvao Gets Second Shot at Stardom
By Anne Lu | May 19, 2014 7:16 AM EST
“The Voice Australia” contestant Maybelle Galuvao is no stranger to fame. She isn’t just the wife of former Auckland Warriors player Joe Galuvao, she’s also a star of her own rights when she travelled around Europe to perform as part of the girl group Ma-V-Elle.
That was over 15 years ago. With her New Zealand high school friends Lavina Williams and Mavina Davis, Maybelle was able to release two albums, showing signs of attaining international success She postponed following her dreams to prioritise her family.
But now that Joe is retired from playing in the National Rugby League, Maybelle wants to give stardom another shot, and auditioning for “The Voice Australia” was her first step.
“We released two albums, travelled around Europe and did so much for maybe five years and it was great but once me and Joe got married and had our daughter we just wanted to really focus on our family for a time,” she told the Daily Telegraph.
The death of her Samoan father, who was also her musical mentor, drove her to try out her luck in the highly rated talent show.
Her husband and their kids, 15-year-old daughter Praise and nine-year-old son Judah, have been her “cheerleaders” through the whole time, encouraging her to follow her long-abandoned dreams.
“The kids are so proud of their mother and to see what she loves doing on TV,” Joe told the paper. “It was a great moment for us. I guess it’s inspired them to know their mum is out there reaching for her dreams. That she faced the fears and the scrutiny but still reached for what she wants in life.”
Maybelle nailed it the first round during the blind audition. Her rendition of “Gravity” was called “stunning” by coach Kylie Minogue, who was excited to see her join her team.
Also as successful as Maybelle on Sunday night’s blind audition were high school teacher Josh McDonald (Team Ricky Martin), Mia Morrissey (Team Ricky), Blake Leggett (Team Joel Madden), and Julian Simonsz, who, after turning all four coaches’ chairs, decided to go with coach will.i.am’s team.
‘The Voice Australia’ Contestant Zaachariah Fielding of ZK Says He Doesn’t Need to Apologise for Snubbing Kylie Minogue
‘The Voice Australia’ Contestant Jess Berney Wows Coaches with Operatic Vocals, But Not All Viewers are Impressed [VIDEO]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones