‘The Voice Australia’: Former NRL WAG Maybelle Galuvao Gets Second Shot at Stardom
By Anne Lu | May 19, 2014 7:16 AM EST
“The Voice Australia” contestant Maybelle Galuvao is no stranger to fame. She isn’t just the wife of former Auckland Warriors player Joe Galuvao, she’s also a star of her own rights when she travelled around Europe to perform as part of the girl group Ma-V-Elle.
That was over 15 years ago. With her New Zealand high school friends Lavina Williams and Mavina Davis, Maybelle was able to release two albums, showing signs of attaining international success She postponed following her dreams to prioritise her family.
But now that Joe is retired from playing in the National Rugby League, Maybelle wants to give stardom another shot, and auditioning for “The Voice Australia” was her first step.
“We released two albums, travelled around Europe and did so much for maybe five years and it was great but once me and Joe got married and had our daughter we just wanted to really focus on our family for a time,” she told the Daily Telegraph.
The death of her Samoan father, who was also her musical mentor, drove her to try out her luck in the highly rated talent show.
Her husband and their kids, 15-year-old daughter Praise and nine-year-old son Judah, have been her “cheerleaders” through the whole time, encouraging her to follow her long-abandoned dreams.
“The kids are so proud of their mother and to see what she loves doing on TV,” Joe told the paper. “It was a great moment for us. I guess it’s inspired them to know their mum is out there reaching for her dreams. That she faced the fears and the scrutiny but still reached for what she wants in life.”
Maybelle nailed it the first round during the blind audition. Her rendition of “Gravity” was called “stunning” by coach Kylie Minogue, who was excited to see her join her team.
Also as successful as Maybelle on Sunday night’s blind audition were high school teacher Josh McDonald (Team Ricky Martin), Mia Morrissey (Team Ricky), Blake Leggett (Team Joel Madden), and Julian Simonsz, who, after turning all four coaches’ chairs, decided to go with coach will.i.am’s team.
‘The Voice Australia’ Contestant Zaachariah Fielding of ZK Says He Doesn’t Need to Apologise for Snubbing Kylie Minogue
‘The Voice Australia’ Contestant Jess Berney Wows Coaches with Operatic Vocals, But Not All Viewers are Impressed [VIDEO]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Katey Sagal On Gemma Teller’s Fate in ‘Red Rose’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers – ‘Coda’: Midseason Finale Is ‘Heartbreaking’ And ‘Gut-Wrenching’
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast