‘The Voice Australia’: Former NRL WAG Maybelle Galuvao Gets Second Shot at Stardom
By Anne Lu | May 19, 2014 7:16 AM EST
“The Voice Australia” contestant Maybelle Galuvao is no stranger to fame. She isn’t just the wife of former Auckland Warriors player Joe Galuvao, she’s also a star of her own rights when she travelled around Europe to perform as part of the girl group Ma-V-Elle.
That was over 15 years ago. With her New Zealand high school friends Lavina Williams and Mavina Davis, Maybelle was able to release two albums, showing signs of attaining international success She postponed following her dreams to prioritise her family.
But now that Joe is retired from playing in the National Rugby League, Maybelle wants to give stardom another shot, and auditioning for “The Voice Australia” was her first step.
“We released two albums, travelled around Europe and did so much for maybe five years and it was great but once me and Joe got married and had our daughter we just wanted to really focus on our family for a time,” she told the Daily Telegraph.
The death of her Samoan father, who was also her musical mentor, drove her to try out her luck in the highly rated talent show.
Her husband and their kids, 15-year-old daughter Praise and nine-year-old son Judah, have been her “cheerleaders” through the whole time, encouraging her to follow her long-abandoned dreams.
“The kids are so proud of their mother and to see what she loves doing on TV,” Joe told the paper. “It was a great moment for us. I guess it’s inspired them to know their mum is out there reaching for her dreams. That she faced the fears and the scrutiny but still reached for what she wants in life.”
Maybelle nailed it the first round during the blind audition. Her rendition of “Gravity” was called “stunning” by coach Kylie Minogue, who was excited to see her join her team.
Also as successful as Maybelle on Sunday night’s blind audition were high school teacher Josh McDonald (Team Ricky Martin), Mia Morrissey (Team Ricky), Blake Leggett (Team Joel Madden), and Julian Simonsz, who, after turning all four coaches’ chairs, decided to go with coach will.i.am’s team.
‘The Voice Australia’ Contestant Zaachariah Fielding of ZK Says He Doesn’t Need to Apologise for Snubbing Kylie Minogue
‘The Voice Australia’ Contestant Jess Berney Wows Coaches with Operatic Vocals, But Not All Viewers are Impressed [VIDEO]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’