Djokovic Beats Nadal, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 for 3rd Rome Masters Title
By James Patrick Quizon | May 19, 2014 3:45 AM EST
Novak Djokovic of Serbia has continued his recent domination of rival Rafael Nadal of Spain after rallying from one set down in the final of the 2014 Internazionali BNL d'Italia in Rome, Italy on Sunday. Djokovic won in three sets, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia kisses the trophy after winning the men's singles final match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Rome Masters tennis tournament May 18, 2014.
Djokovic has racked up four straight matches against the 27-year-old Spaniard, who is ranked No. 1 overall in the ATP rankings. The 26-year-old Serbian is ranked a closed second and will gain some ground on Nadal after the three-set victory in Italy.
The clay-court tournament is a preparatory event for these tops seeds and most players for the Grand Slam on clay, the French Open which is scheduled from May 25 to June 8, 2014 in Paris, France.
Djokovic have also won at the final of the ATP World Tour Masters Miami in Florida earlier this year beating Nadal, 6-3, 6-3 in that tournament. The tail-end of the 2013 ATP season also set Djokovic as winners over Nadal; 6-3, 6-4 in the final of the ATP World Tour Finals in Great Britain and 6-3, 6-4 in the final of the China Open in Beijing.
This means that Nadal has now lost 8 of his last 9 sets vs. Djokovic after the Spaniard's win at the 2013 US Open.
The Serbian bagged the Rome Masters titles in 2008 versus Stanislas Wawrinka and in 2011 against Nadal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date