Djokovic Beats Nadal, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 for 3rd Rome Masters Title
By James Patrick Quizon | May 19, 2014 3:45 AM EST
Novak Djokovic of Serbia has continued his recent domination of rival Rafael Nadal of Spain after rallying from one set down in the final of the 2014 Internazionali BNL d'Italia in Rome, Italy on Sunday. Djokovic won in three sets, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia kisses the trophy after winning the men's singles final match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Rome Masters tennis tournament May 18, 2014.
Djokovic has racked up four straight matches against the 27-year-old Spaniard, who is ranked No. 1 overall in the ATP rankings. The 26-year-old Serbian is ranked a closed second and will gain some ground on Nadal after the three-set victory in Italy.
The clay-court tournament is a preparatory event for these tops seeds and most players for the Grand Slam on clay, the French Open which is scheduled from May 25 to June 8, 2014 in Paris, France.
Djokovic have also won at the final of the ATP World Tour Masters Miami in Florida earlier this year beating Nadal, 6-3, 6-3 in that tournament. The tail-end of the 2013 ATP season also set Djokovic as winners over Nadal; 6-3, 6-4 in the final of the ATP World Tour Finals in Great Britain and 6-3, 6-4 in the final of the China Open in Beijing.
This means that Nadal has now lost 8 of his last 9 sets vs. Djokovic after the Spaniard's win at the 2013 US Open.
The Serbian bagged the Rome Masters titles in 2008 versus Stanislas Wawrinka and in 2011 against Nadal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch