Djokovic Beats Nadal, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 for 3rd Rome Masters Title
By James Patrick Quizon | May 19, 2014 3:45 AM EST
Novak Djokovic of Serbia has continued his recent domination of rival Rafael Nadal of Spain after rallying from one set down in the final of the 2014 Internazionali BNL d'Italia in Rome, Italy on Sunday. Djokovic won in three sets, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia kisses the trophy after winning the men's singles final match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Rome Masters tennis tournament May 18, 2014.
Djokovic has racked up four straight matches against the 27-year-old Spaniard, who is ranked No. 1 overall in the ATP rankings. The 26-year-old Serbian is ranked a closed second and will gain some ground on Nadal after the three-set victory in Italy.
The clay-court tournament is a preparatory event for these tops seeds and most players for the Grand Slam on clay, the French Open which is scheduled from May 25 to June 8, 2014 in Paris, France.
Djokovic have also won at the final of the ATP World Tour Masters Miami in Florida earlier this year beating Nadal, 6-3, 6-3 in that tournament. The tail-end of the 2013 ATP season also set Djokovic as winners over Nadal; 6-3, 6-4 in the final of the ATP World Tour Finals in Great Britain and 6-3, 6-4 in the final of the China Open in Beijing.
This means that Nadal has now lost 8 of his last 9 sets vs. Djokovic after the Spaniard's win at the 2013 US Open.
The Serbian bagged the Rome Masters titles in 2008 versus Stanislas Wawrinka and in 2011 against Nadal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage