Djokovic Beats Nadal, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 for 3rd Rome Masters Title
By James Patrick Quizon | May 19, 2014 3:45 AM EST
Novak Djokovic of Serbia has continued his recent domination of rival Rafael Nadal of Spain after rallying from one set down in the final of the 2014 Internazionali BNL d'Italia in Rome, Italy on Sunday. Djokovic won in three sets, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3.
Novak Djokovic of Serbia kisses the trophy after winning the men's singles final match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Rome Masters tennis tournament May 18, 2014.
Djokovic has racked up four straight matches against the 27-year-old Spaniard, who is ranked No. 1 overall in the ATP rankings. The 26-year-old Serbian is ranked a closed second and will gain some ground on Nadal after the three-set victory in Italy.
The clay-court tournament is a preparatory event for these tops seeds and most players for the Grand Slam on clay, the French Open which is scheduled from May 25 to June 8, 2014 in Paris, France.
Djokovic have also won at the final of the ATP World Tour Masters Miami in Florida earlier this year beating Nadal, 6-3, 6-3 in that tournament. The tail-end of the 2013 ATP season also set Djokovic as winners over Nadal; 6-3, 6-4 in the final of the ATP World Tour Finals in Great Britain and 6-3, 6-4 in the final of the China Open in Beijing.
This means that Nadal has now lost 8 of his last 9 sets vs. Djokovic after the Spaniard's win at the 2013 US Open.
The Serbian bagged the Rome Masters titles in 2008 versus Stanislas Wawrinka and in 2011 against Nadal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS