Beat the Heat: How Can Indiana Upset Miami in the East Finals [NBA Betting Odds]
By James Patrick Quizon | May 18, 2014 10:32 PM EST
The Indiana Pacers came close to dethroning the Miami Heat in the 2013 postseason after stretching them to full seven games in the East Finals. We’re at that point of the playoffs again and this time the Pacers have an added weapon: homecourt advantage after topping the regular season in the East.
Will it be enough to oust LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and the rest of the Heat?
3 Keys for a Pacers Upset Over the Heat:
Dominant Roy Hibbert
The tallest Heat player is Greg Oden but it appears he’s out of the rotation of Erik Spoelstra. Can the likes of Udonis Haslem and Chris Andersen contain Hibbert on offense? Or first things first, which Hibbert will play in this series? The good one has dominated the Heat in the past and the bad one struggled against the Atlanta Hawks and Washington Wizards in this postseason.
Homecooking in Indiana
The Pacers already lost four home games in this postseason. They can’t afford to lose more against the defending champions. They MUST protect homecourt advantage if they want to have a chance. The first two games will be crucial as a win by the Heat will mean a split entering Games 3 and 4 in Miami.
Similar to the pressure on Hibbert, the Pacers will need Paul George to step up especially as he’s up against the best player in the planet. If George is consistent in his scoring, at least that sorts of neutralizes LeBron’s offensive output. And on defense, if he can at least contain LeBron—or limit him to either just a playmaker or just a scorer… it would already be a small victory for the Pacers, which will have a better chance of beating the Heat without a dominant James.
Despite the top seeding in the East, the Pacers are considered (rightfully) the underdog in this series. They are priced 4.05 to win this best-of-seven affair against the Heat favourites by 1.25. Even in the opening game the spread is set at +2.5 for the ‘dogs Pacers.
Are the books totally disrespecting Indiana with these lines? Or is Miami just that good?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown