Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao-Marquez 5 Bout Looms After El Dinamita Wins Over Alvarado
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 18, 2014 4:08 PM EST
While waiting for the Dream Match between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr to materialise, boxing fans in the meantime can look forward to another anticipated rematch - the Pacquiao-Marquez 5 battle.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines battles Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico during their World Boxing Organization welterweight title fight Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
The stage has been set for the fifth bout between the eight division Filipino title holder and Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez after the latter, also known as El Dinamita, easily won over Mike Alvarado on Saturday night.
The 40-year -old welterweight boxer won in a unanimous decision over the younger Alvarado in 12 rounds in what boxing experts describe as a marked by technical brilliance and vicious power. Marquez knocked down Alvarado in the eighth round, although he was also KOd in the ninth round but managed to get the nod of the judges.
Judges Max DeLuca and Julie Ledergman gave identical scores of 117-109 for the Mexican boxer, while judge Robert Byrd scored it 119-108.
ABC reported that Marquez was in charge from the first round, while Alvarado - who suffered his second consecutive loss - struggled to land any major punches. Bloody Elbow said Marquez landed 57 per cent of his power punches on the face of his opponent who was bigger.
Alvardo, commenting on his loss, said, ""It was a bad experience being in there with a legend. I was always warming up a bit too much before I started getting off. It was one ne, but it was a good fight."
However, Marquez, who just earned $1.4 million, sidestepped first deciding if he will go for his fifth match with Pacquiao. He said, quoted by ABC News, "We'll relax first. I don't know at the moment, but any decision we make will be good for me, good for my family and good for the Mexican fans."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch