Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao-Marquez 5 Bout Looms After El Dinamita Wins Over Alvarado
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 18, 2014 4:08 PM EST
While waiting for the Dream Match between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr to materialise, boxing fans in the meantime can look forward to another anticipated rematch - the Pacquiao-Marquez 5 battle.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines battles Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico during their World Boxing Organization welterweight title fight Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
The stage has been set for the fifth bout between the eight division Filipino title holder and Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez after the latter, also known as El Dinamita, easily won over Mike Alvarado on Saturday night.
The 40-year -old welterweight boxer won in a unanimous decision over the younger Alvarado in 12 rounds in what boxing experts describe as a marked by technical brilliance and vicious power. Marquez knocked down Alvarado in the eighth round, although he was also KOd in the ninth round but managed to get the nod of the judges.
Judges Max DeLuca and Julie Ledergman gave identical scores of 117-109 for the Mexican boxer, while judge Robert Byrd scored it 119-108.
ABC reported that Marquez was in charge from the first round, while Alvarado - who suffered his second consecutive loss - struggled to land any major punches. Bloody Elbow said Marquez landed 57 per cent of his power punches on the face of his opponent who was bigger.
Alvardo, commenting on his loss, said, ""It was a bad experience being in there with a legend. I was always warming up a bit too much before I started getting off. It was one ne, but it was a good fight."
However, Marquez, who just earned $1.4 million, sidestepped first deciding if he will go for his fifth match with Pacquiao. He said, quoted by ABC News, "We'll relax first. I don't know at the moment, but any decision we make will be good for me, good for my family and good for the Mexican fans."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China