Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao-Marquez 5 Bout Looms After El Dinamita Wins Over Alvarado
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 18, 2014 4:08 PM EST
While waiting for the Dream Match between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr to materialise, boxing fans in the meantime can look forward to another anticipated rematch - the Pacquiao-Marquez 5 battle.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines battles Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico during their World Boxing Organization welterweight title fight Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
The stage has been set for the fifth bout between the eight division Filipino title holder and Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez after the latter, also known as El Dinamita, easily won over Mike Alvarado on Saturday night.
The 40-year -old welterweight boxer won in a unanimous decision over the younger Alvarado in 12 rounds in what boxing experts describe as a marked by technical brilliance and vicious power. Marquez knocked down Alvarado in the eighth round, although he was also KOd in the ninth round but managed to get the nod of the judges.
Judges Max DeLuca and Julie Ledergman gave identical scores of 117-109 for the Mexican boxer, while judge Robert Byrd scored it 119-108.
ABC reported that Marquez was in charge from the first round, while Alvarado - who suffered his second consecutive loss - struggled to land any major punches. Bloody Elbow said Marquez landed 57 per cent of his power punches on the face of his opponent who was bigger.
Alvardo, commenting on his loss, said, ""It was a bad experience being in there with a legend. I was always warming up a bit too much before I started getting off. It was one ne, but it was a good fight."
However, Marquez, who just earned $1.4 million, sidestepped first deciding if he will go for his fifth match with Pacquiao. He said, quoted by ABC News, "We'll relax first. I don't know at the moment, but any decision we make will be good for me, good for my family and good for the Mexican fans."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date