Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao-Marquez 5 Bout Looms After El Dinamita Wins Over Alvarado
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 18, 2014 4:08 PM EST
While waiting for the Dream Match between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr to materialise, boxing fans in the meantime can look forward to another anticipated rematch - the Pacquiao-Marquez 5 battle.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines battles Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico during their World Boxing Organization welterweight title fight Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
The stage has been set for the fifth bout between the eight division Filipino title holder and Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez after the latter, also known as El Dinamita, easily won over Mike Alvarado on Saturday night.
The 40-year -old welterweight boxer won in a unanimous decision over the younger Alvarado in 12 rounds in what boxing experts describe as a marked by technical brilliance and vicious power. Marquez knocked down Alvarado in the eighth round, although he was also KOd in the ninth round but managed to get the nod of the judges.
Judges Max DeLuca and Julie Ledergman gave identical scores of 117-109 for the Mexican boxer, while judge Robert Byrd scored it 119-108.
ABC reported that Marquez was in charge from the first round, while Alvarado - who suffered his second consecutive loss - struggled to land any major punches. Bloody Elbow said Marquez landed 57 per cent of his power punches on the face of his opponent who was bigger.
Alvardo, commenting on his loss, said, ""It was a bad experience being in there with a legend. I was always warming up a bit too much before I started getting off. It was one ne, but it was a good fight."
However, Marquez, who just earned $1.4 million, sidestepped first deciding if he will go for his fifth match with Pacquiao. He said, quoted by ABC News, "We'll relax first. I don't know at the moment, but any decision we make will be good for me, good for my family and good for the Mexican fans."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates