Serge Ibaka Out for the 2014 NBA Playoffs with Calf Injury
By James Patrick Quizon | May 17, 2014 4:57 PM EST
In a big blow to the Oklahoma City Thunder’s chance to win the NBA title, Serge Ibaka was diagnosed with a serious left calf injury that will cause him to miss the remainder of the 2014 NBA Playoffs.
Ibaka’s injury happened in Game 6 of the Western Conference Semifinals against the Los Angeles Clippers.
“We are obviously disappointed for Serge, as he is a tremendous competitor, and we know how badly he wants to be on the court with his teammates,” said Sam Presti, general manager of the Thunder, in an official statement from the team.
“At this point it is important that our team directs its concentration and energy towards preparation and execution for our upcoming series. As with all teams, our group has confronted different challenges. It is our collective experience that we will call on to ensure that we play to our capabilities.”
The Thunder did win against the Clippers, 104-98 to advance to the West Finals and had good contributions from back-up bigs Steven Adams (10 points and 11 rebounds in 40 minutes) and Nick Collison (4 points, 2 rebounds, 1 steal and 1 blocked shot in 17 minutes)
In lieu of Ibaka, the pair along with veteran center Kendrick Perkins is expected to get the bulk of the minutes against the San Antonio Spurs, who will have Tim Duncan, Tiago Splitter and Boris Diaw in the frontcourt in the best-of-seven series which starts on Monday evening (Tuesday morning in Australia).
The Spurs own homecourt advantage in this series but the Thunder have dominated the regular season with four wins in four games against San Antonio.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop