Serge Ibaka Out for the 2014 NBA Playoffs with Calf Injury
By James Patrick Quizon | May 17, 2014 4:57 PM EST
In a big blow to the Oklahoma City Thunder’s chance to win the NBA title, Serge Ibaka was diagnosed with a serious left calf injury that will cause him to miss the remainder of the 2014 NBA Playoffs.
Ibaka’s injury happened in Game 6 of the Western Conference Semifinals against the Los Angeles Clippers.
“We are obviously disappointed for Serge, as he is a tremendous competitor, and we know how badly he wants to be on the court with his teammates,” said Sam Presti, general manager of the Thunder, in an official statement from the team.
“At this point it is important that our team directs its concentration and energy towards preparation and execution for our upcoming series. As with all teams, our group has confronted different challenges. It is our collective experience that we will call on to ensure that we play to our capabilities.”
The Thunder did win against the Clippers, 104-98 to advance to the West Finals and had good contributions from back-up bigs Steven Adams (10 points and 11 rebounds in 40 minutes) and Nick Collison (4 points, 2 rebounds, 1 steal and 1 blocked shot in 17 minutes)
In lieu of Ibaka, the pair along with veteran center Kendrick Perkins is expected to get the bulk of the minutes against the San Antonio Spurs, who will have Tim Duncan, Tiago Splitter and Boris Diaw in the frontcourt in the best-of-seven series which starts on Monday evening (Tuesday morning in Australia).
The Spurs own homecourt advantage in this series but the Thunder have dominated the regular season with four wins in four games against San Antonio.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0