Apple & Google Agree to Drop Lawsuits, But Deal Doesn’t Affect Samsung Cases
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 17, 2014 11:08 AM EST
Apple and Google have agreed to drop the lawsuits the two technology giants have filed against each other, but it only applies to legal cases involving Google's Motorola Mobility.
Apple is likely to buy Beats Electronics.
In a joint statement on Friday, the two companies said the settlement excludes a cross license on their respective patents, but "Apple and Google agreed to work together in some areas of patent reforms."
Following the agreement, Apple and Google informed a federal appeals court in Washington to dismiss all the lawsuits both companies filed against each other. However, even if Samsung uses Google's Android OS, Apple excluded the lawsuits against its South Korean rival in the dismissal notices.
The lawsuits were initiated by Motorola Mobility against the Cupertino-based maker of iPhones in 2010 over patent infringement. In turn, Apple filed counter lawsuits against Motorola.
The Apple-Samsung lawsuits are ongoing in several countries in the U.S., Europe and Asia. Two weeks ago, a jury found Samsung guilty of breaching one of Apple's patents. But it awarded Apple only $119.6 million, a fraction of the $2-billion damage that the company co-founded by the late Steve Jobs was seeking.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Walmart Black Friday Ad 2014 Update: Walmart Black Friday Store Maps Which Have In-Store Information On Deals And Doorbusters Officially Released [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target Black Friday 2014 Store Maps App Featuring In-Store Deals And Doorbusters Available Now On Apple Store And Google Play Store, Plus Check Out The Target Black Friday 2014 Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- Gina Rinehart Loses Bid To Keep Family Feud Lawsuit Details Private; 2 Estranged Children Seek Millions In Mining Profit
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Germany, Not U.S., Is The World’s Favorite Country; UK, Canada, Australia Maintain Top 10 Spots