Apple & Google Agree to Drop Lawsuits, But Deal Doesn’t Affect Samsung Cases
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 17, 2014 11:08 AM EST
Apple and Google have agreed to drop the lawsuits the two technology giants have filed against each other, but it only applies to legal cases involving Google's Motorola Mobility.
Apple is likely to buy Beats Electronics.
In a joint statement on Friday, the two companies said the settlement excludes a cross license on their respective patents, but "Apple and Google agreed to work together in some areas of patent reforms."
Following the agreement, Apple and Google informed a federal appeals court in Washington to dismiss all the lawsuits both companies filed against each other. However, even if Samsung uses Google's Android OS, Apple excluded the lawsuits against its South Korean rival in the dismissal notices.
The lawsuits were initiated by Motorola Mobility against the Cupertino-based maker of iPhones in 2010 over patent infringement. In turn, Apple filed counter lawsuits against Motorola.
The Apple-Samsung lawsuits are ongoing in several countries in the U.S., Europe and Asia. Two weeks ago, a jury found Samsung guilty of breaching one of Apple's patents. But it awarded Apple only $119.6 million, a fraction of the $2-billion damage that the company co-founded by the late Steve Jobs was seeking.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 To Boost Telstra’s Income By $500 Million
- Smaller Australian Telcos Required To Have Usage Alert For Customers To Avoid Phone Bill Shock
- BlackBerry to Host ‘See The Bigger Picture’ Event in London, Dubai & Toronto on Sep 24
- Addiction Rehabilitation Leader BioCorRx, Inc. Participates In San Francisco’s eMoneyShow
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged