Apple & Google Agree to Drop Lawsuits, But Deal Doesn’t Affect Samsung Cases
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 17, 2014 11:08 AM EST
Apple and Google have agreed to drop the lawsuits the two technology giants have filed against each other, but it only applies to legal cases involving Google's Motorola Mobility.
Apple is likely to buy Beats Electronics.
In a joint statement on Friday, the two companies said the settlement excludes a cross license on their respective patents, but "Apple and Google agreed to work together in some areas of patent reforms."
Following the agreement, Apple and Google informed a federal appeals court in Washington to dismiss all the lawsuits both companies filed against each other. However, even if Samsung uses Google's Android OS, Apple excluded the lawsuits against its South Korean rival in the dismissal notices.
The lawsuits were initiated by Motorola Mobility against the Cupertino-based maker of iPhones in 2010 over patent infringement. In turn, Apple filed counter lawsuits against Motorola.
The Apple-Samsung lawsuits are ongoing in several countries in the U.S., Europe and Asia. Two weeks ago, a jury found Samsung guilty of breaching one of Apple's patents. But it awarded Apple only $119.6 million, a fraction of the $2-billion damage that the company co-founded by the late Steve Jobs was seeking.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8