Apple & Google Agree to Drop Lawsuits, But Deal Doesn’t Affect Samsung Cases
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 17, 2014 11:08 AM EST
Apple and Google have agreed to drop the lawsuits the two technology giants have filed against each other, but it only applies to legal cases involving Google's Motorola Mobility.
Apple is likely to buy Beats Electronics.
In a joint statement on Friday, the two companies said the settlement excludes a cross license on their respective patents, but "Apple and Google agreed to work together in some areas of patent reforms."
Following the agreement, Apple and Google informed a federal appeals court in Washington to dismiss all the lawsuits both companies filed against each other. However, even if Samsung uses Google's Android OS, Apple excluded the lawsuits against its South Korean rival in the dismissal notices.
The lawsuits were initiated by Motorola Mobility against the Cupertino-based maker of iPhones in 2010 over patent infringement. In turn, Apple filed counter lawsuits against Motorola.
The Apple-Samsung lawsuits are ongoing in several countries in the U.S., Europe and Asia. Two weeks ago, a jury found Samsung guilty of breaching one of Apple's patents. But it awarded Apple only $119.6 million, a fraction of the $2-billion damage that the company co-founded by the late Steve Jobs was seeking.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation