Android 4.5, 5.0 Release Soon, Possible Launch at Google I/O 2014 With 'Android Silver Program'
By Karla Danica Figuerres | May 16, 2014 11:44 PM EST
Early reports suggested Android 4.5 or Android 5.0 will be called Lollipop and will come with UI, icon and Google Now changes with the possible launch at the Google I/O 2014 on June 25-26 in San Francisco.
But there is no sure way to tell the release date, especially that Google has kept Android 4.4 KitKat a secret for quite some time with most fans thinking it will be Key Lime Pie.
At this point, the possible release date of Android 4.5 or Android 5.0 will be at the Google I/O 2014 with several revelations expected this year like the new Android Wear, Google Glass and Project Ara. This includes the Android Silver program rumored to bring some changes to the custom Google launcher and integration between Google Chrome and Google Search.
Considering the scale of changes that Google is preparing, it makes sense for the company to roll out the next building of Android 4.5 or 5.0 during the Google I/O. At the very least, it will be the announcement of the new Android version alongside HTC Nexus 8.
Android 4.5 or Android 5.0 release date is one of the many things expected from Google I/O 2014 as fans are curious about the future of the Android Silver Program and Nexus devices.
Also, the launch is likely to happen alongside the release of the Android Wear, which is the operating system designed for wearables, including Moto 360 and LG G Watch Android smartwatches. But this does not mean that the OS will appear on the smartphones and tablets immediately on June 25. Instead, it will likely appear on a new Nexus device then to Google Play Edition devices first.
Android Silver is the program Google is developing, which will make carriers dedicate a section of their stores to some of the top Android smartphones, each of which will offer significant advantages over smartphones that are not under the Android Silver Program.
Meanwhile, Google has been rumored to phase out Nexus devices to give way to the Android Silver Program. This will be interesting to see how the tech giant will push out Android updates in the future.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft