4 Ways to 'Speed Up' Chrome Browser on Android Devices
By Pavithra Rathinavel | May 16, 2014 11:37 PM EST
Google Chrome is the most widely used browser across the globe with a market share of a whopping 45.22 percent when compared to other browsers like IE and Firefox. Even though Chrome is predominantly used, the browser can sometimes be slow.
A Google Android figurine sits on the welcome desk as employee Tracy McNeilly smiles at the new Google office in Toronto, November 13, 2012.
Here are the steps explained by a Reddit user named, "erythrocytes64" (via Wired):
1. Open a new Chrome browser tab.
2. Type down - "chrome://flags/#max-tiles-for-interest-area."
3. When a menu box pops out, select "512″ instead of the default "128" from the list. Note: "512 MB" is the maximum amount of memory a user can allocate to Chrome browser. Older models of Android devices could limit the choice to 256 instead of 512.
4. Tap the "Relaunch now" button to restart the Chrome browser. Overall speed boost from scrolling to navigation will be immediately perceptible.
Note: After making this change, users should observe an increase in RAM usage, but it is a small sacrifice to get the staggering speed boost.
Other Experimental Tweaks
The same Reddit user "erythrocytes64" (Via Life hacker) offers few other tips and tricks that can also be tried out on Android devices.
1. "chrome://flags/#enable-offline-mode" - this allows users to access pages stored in cache without connecting to Internet.
2. "chrome://flags/#enable-new-ntp" - this changes the look of the tabs. The browser looks simplified and uncluttered with only the required widgets around.
3. "chrome://flags/#enable-cast" - this is in beta form enabling experimental Chromecast support. Upon enabling this, users get to control videos from the Web on Chromecast devices.
Note: Upon enabling the "show-fps-counter" option with the help of this link - ("chrome://flags/#enable-cast"), users can verify if they are getting the performance boost on their Android devices after enabling the tweaks. The whole thread with useful and experimental tricks can be checked out from Reddit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around