TMZ Acquires Solange-Jay Z Video For $250,000 - Source
By Athena Yenko | May 16, 2014 5:25 PM EST
"This was being shopped for five days to the highest bidder," the source said.
The Standard Hotel, where the video was captured, had previously sought the service of Hollywood lawyer, Marty Singer, to investigate on who could probably got hold of the tape and sold it to TMZ.
"There are only a handful of people who'd have access to that tape. The Standard owns that tape. But, once it was out, Jay Z's people felt they couldn't control it. They were reluctant to try and publicly fight this," Singer said.
"We are shocked and disappointed that there was a clear breach of our security system and the confidentiality that we count on providing our guests. We are investigating with the utmost urgency the circumstances surrounding the situation and, as is our customary practice, will discipline and prosecute the individuals involved to our fullest capacity," The Standard Hotel wrote in a previous statement.
On May 15, The Standard Hotel tracked down the employee who sold the tape and had already fired the person. Through an official statement, the company said it will be pursuing criminal charges against the video leaker.
"The Standard has identified the individual responsible for breaching the security policies of the hotel and recording the confidential CCTV video released by TMZ. The Standard has already terminated the individual and will now be pursuing all available civil and criminal remedies. The Standard will next be turning over all available information to the criminal authorities," the company wrote.
The $250,000 acquisition of TMZ had rendered News Corp. Australia's $200,000 acquisition of James Packer's photos modest.
Gaming Billionaire Packer and his best bud, Channel 9 CEO David Gyngell, punched each other in public at Sydney's Bondi. But despite the brawl, they remained the best of friends, according to their individually written statements.
The controversial photos made it to the cover of The NT News, Sydney's Daily Telegraph, Herald Sun and Queensland's The Courier Mail.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 To Boost Telstra’s Income By $500 Million
- Smaller Australian Telcos Required To Have Usage Alert For Customers To Avoid Phone Bill Shock
- BlackBerry to Host ‘See The Bigger Picture’ Event in London, Dubai & Toronto on Sep 24
- Addiction Rehabilitation Leader BioCorRx, Inc. Participates In San Francisco’s eMoneyShow
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display