TMZ Acquires Solange-Jay Z Video For $250,000 - Source
By Athena Yenko | May 16, 2014 5:25 PM EST
"This was being shopped for five days to the highest bidder," the source said.
The Standard Hotel, where the video was captured, had previously sought the service of Hollywood lawyer, Marty Singer, to investigate on who could probably got hold of the tape and sold it to TMZ.
"There are only a handful of people who'd have access to that tape. The Standard owns that tape. But, once it was out, Jay Z's people felt they couldn't control it. They were reluctant to try and publicly fight this," Singer said.
"We are shocked and disappointed that there was a clear breach of our security system and the confidentiality that we count on providing our guests. We are investigating with the utmost urgency the circumstances surrounding the situation and, as is our customary practice, will discipline and prosecute the individuals involved to our fullest capacity," The Standard Hotel wrote in a previous statement.
On May 15, The Standard Hotel tracked down the employee who sold the tape and had already fired the person. Through an official statement, the company said it will be pursuing criminal charges against the video leaker.
"The Standard has identified the individual responsible for breaching the security policies of the hotel and recording the confidential CCTV video released by TMZ. The Standard has already terminated the individual and will now be pursuing all available civil and criminal remedies. The Standard will next be turning over all available information to the criminal authorities," the company wrote.
The $250,000 acquisition of TMZ had rendered News Corp. Australia's $200,000 acquisition of James Packer's photos modest.
Gaming Billionaire Packer and his best bud, Channel 9 CEO David Gyngell, punched each other in public at Sydney's Bondi. But despite the brawl, they remained the best of friends, according to their individually written statements.
The controversial photos made it to the cover of The NT News, Sydney's Daily Telegraph, Herald Sun and Queensland's The Courier Mail.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales