TMZ Acquires Solange-Jay Z Video For $250,000 - Source
By Athena Yenko | May 16, 2014 5:25 PM EST
"This was being shopped for five days to the highest bidder," the source said.
The Standard Hotel, where the video was captured, had previously sought the service of Hollywood lawyer, Marty Singer, to investigate on who could probably got hold of the tape and sold it to TMZ.
"There are only a handful of people who'd have access to that tape. The Standard owns that tape. But, once it was out, Jay Z's people felt they couldn't control it. They were reluctant to try and publicly fight this," Singer said.
"We are shocked and disappointed that there was a clear breach of our security system and the confidentiality that we count on providing our guests. We are investigating with the utmost urgency the circumstances surrounding the situation and, as is our customary practice, will discipline and prosecute the individuals involved to our fullest capacity," The Standard Hotel wrote in a previous statement.
On May 15, The Standard Hotel tracked down the employee who sold the tape and had already fired the person. Through an official statement, the company said it will be pursuing criminal charges against the video leaker.
"The Standard has identified the individual responsible for breaching the security policies of the hotel and recording the confidential CCTV video released by TMZ. The Standard has already terminated the individual and will now be pursuing all available civil and criminal remedies. The Standard will next be turning over all available information to the criminal authorities," the company wrote.
The $250,000 acquisition of TMZ had rendered News Corp. Australia's $200,000 acquisition of James Packer's photos modest.
Gaming Billionaire Packer and his best bud, Channel 9 CEO David Gyngell, punched each other in public at Sydney's Bondi. But despite the brawl, they remained the best of friends, according to their individually written statements.
The controversial photos made it to the cover of The NT News, Sydney's Daily Telegraph, Herald Sun and Queensland's The Courier Mail.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Apple Inc Shifting to 'Lifestyle Brand' Under Tim Cook; Samsung Losing Smartphone Numbers War
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff