TMZ Acquires Solange-Jay Z Video For $250,000 - Source

  • Rate this Story
  • 0
  • 0

By Athena Yenko | May 16, 2014 5:25 PM EST

TMZ has acquired the controversial Solange Knowles-Jay Z attack video for $250,000, a source told The New York Post.

"This was being shopped for five days to the highest bidder," the source said.

The Standard Hotel, where the video was captured, had previously sought the service of Hollywood lawyer, Marty Singer, to investigate on who could probably got hold of the tape and sold it to TMZ.

 "There are only a handful of people who'd have access to that tape. The Standard owns that tape. But, once it was out, Jay Z's people felt they couldn't control it. They were reluctant to try and publicly fight this," Singer said.

"We are shocked and disappointed that there was a clear breach of our security system and the confidentiality that we count on providing our guests. We are investigating with the utmost urgency the circumstances surrounding the situation and, as is our customary practice, will discipline and prosecute the individuals involved to our fullest capacity," The Standard Hotel wrote in a previous statement.

On May 15, The Standard Hotel tracked down the employee who sold the tape and had already fired the person. Through an official statement, the company said it will be pursuing criminal charges against the video leaker.

 "The Standard has identified the individual responsible for breaching the security policies of the hotel and recording the confidential CCTV video released by TMZ. The Standard has already terminated the individual and will now be pursuing all available civil and criminal remedies. The Standard will next be turning over all available information to the criminal authorities," the company wrote.

The $250,000 acquisition of TMZ had rendered News Corp. Australia's $200,000 acquisition of James Packer's photos modest.

Gaming Billionaire Packer and his best bud, Channel 9 CEO David Gyngell, punched each other in public at Sydney's Bondi. But despite the brawl, they remained the best of friends, according to their individually written statements.

The controversial photos made it to the cover of The NT News, Sydney's Daily Telegraph, Herald Sun and Queensland's The Courier Mail.

To contact the editor, e-mail:

  • Rate this Story
  • 0
  • 0
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.com.au, the business news leader

Join the Conversation

IBTimes TV
E-Newsletters

We value your privacy. Your email address will not be shared.