Auckland Dad 'Breaks Ribs' of Newborn Daughter
By Reissa Su | May 16, 2014 4:53 PM EST
An Auckland man is currently facing charges for injuring his newborn baby. The father had stuck his finger down her throat. The 27-day-old baby almost drowned in her own blood from the injury.
A newborn baby lies on a scale at a hospital in Suining, southwest China's Sichuan province in this September 14, 2007 file photo. REUTERS
The incident occurred in February 2013 when the dad was alone with his daughter in their home in Auckland, New Zealand. Doctors feared at first that they wouldn't be able to revive the child since the wound was heaviliy bleeding.
The baby's father, whose identity will remain anonymous to protect the baby's privacy, was found guilty by the High Court at Auckland. The injury was most likely caused by his finger when he jammed it in the baby's throat.
According to reports, x-rays of the baby taken from the Starship Children's Hospital revealed the newborn also suffered from broken ribs which the father had caused when he tried to squeeze her. The father continued to plead he was innocent during his sentencing in the High Court on May 16.
The man was sentenced to 6 and ½ years in prison for the charge of wounding with reckless disregard and another charge for injuring with reckless disregard.
His daughter has recovered from the injuries and now under the care of her maternal grandmother. Crown Prosecutor Tiffany Cooper said the baby's throat had "quickly filled" with blood after the incident. Cooper said her life was "put in the balance."
Defense Atty. Kelly-Ann Stoikoff said her client would carry out his sentence despite protesting his innocence. She said he wanted to start his life again once he left jail and plans to be a part of his daughter's life.
In the sentence, Lang said the child's life was at risk because she was drowning in her own blood. He told the man that by injuring her, he had abused his position as the caregiver of his daughter.
According to reports, Lang was appalled by the man's actions. He said he was "left at a loss" on how a father could treat his baby. The judge remained unimpressed with the man's criminal history with five convictions for aggravated robbery in 2009 and other charges of violent offenses.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft