Auckland Dad 'Breaks Ribs' of Newborn Daughter
By Reissa Su | May 16, 2014 4:53 PM EST
An Auckland man is currently facing charges for injuring his newborn baby. The father had stuck his finger down her throat. The 27-day-old baby almost drowned in her own blood from the injury.
A newborn baby lies on a scale at a hospital in Suining, southwest China's Sichuan province in this September 14, 2007 file photo. REUTERS
The incident occurred in February 2013 when the dad was alone with his daughter in their home in Auckland, New Zealand. Doctors feared at first that they wouldn't be able to revive the child since the wound was heaviliy bleeding.
The baby's father, whose identity will remain anonymous to protect the baby's privacy, was found guilty by the High Court at Auckland. The injury was most likely caused by his finger when he jammed it in the baby's throat.
According to reports, x-rays of the baby taken from the Starship Children's Hospital revealed the newborn also suffered from broken ribs which the father had caused when he tried to squeeze her. The father continued to plead he was innocent during his sentencing in the High Court on May 16.
The man was sentenced to 6 and ½ years in prison for the charge of wounding with reckless disregard and another charge for injuring with reckless disregard.
His daughter has recovered from the injuries and now under the care of her maternal grandmother. Crown Prosecutor Tiffany Cooper said the baby's throat had "quickly filled" with blood after the incident. Cooper said her life was "put in the balance."
Defense Atty. Kelly-Ann Stoikoff said her client would carry out his sentence despite protesting his innocence. She said he wanted to start his life again once he left jail and plans to be a part of his daughter's life.
In the sentence, Lang said the child's life was at risk because she was drowning in her own blood. He told the man that by injuring her, he had abused his position as the caregiver of his daughter.
According to reports, Lang was appalled by the man's actions. He said he was "left at a loss" on how a father could treat his baby. The judge remained unimpressed with the man's criminal history with five convictions for aggravated robbery in 2009 and other charges of violent offenses.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Woman Posts Ad for Herself As 'Professional Bridesmaid' On Craigslist
- Mass Panic Over Houston's 'Blinking Lights' in the Sky; UFO Sceptics Still Not Convinced
- Social Gap Between New Zealand Ethnic Groups 'Worsening'
- Autistic Business Owners Capitalize On Strengths For Success
- Food Finger Condoms Turns A Huge Hit In Korea
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports