Auckland Dad 'Breaks Ribs' of Newborn Daughter
By Reissa Su | May 16, 2014 4:53 PM EST
An Auckland man is currently facing charges for injuring his newborn baby. The father had stuck his finger down her throat. The 27-day-old baby almost drowned in her own blood from the injury.
A newborn baby lies on a scale at a hospital in Suining, southwest China's Sichuan province in this September 14, 2007 file photo. REUTERS
The incident occurred in February 2013 when the dad was alone with his daughter in their home in Auckland, New Zealand. Doctors feared at first that they wouldn't be able to revive the child since the wound was heaviliy bleeding.
The baby's father, whose identity will remain anonymous to protect the baby's privacy, was found guilty by the High Court at Auckland. The injury was most likely caused by his finger when he jammed it in the baby's throat.
According to reports, x-rays of the baby taken from the Starship Children's Hospital revealed the newborn also suffered from broken ribs which the father had caused when he tried to squeeze her. The father continued to plead he was innocent during his sentencing in the High Court on May 16.
The man was sentenced to 6 and ½ years in prison for the charge of wounding with reckless disregard and another charge for injuring with reckless disregard.
His daughter has recovered from the injuries and now under the care of her maternal grandmother. Crown Prosecutor Tiffany Cooper said the baby's throat had "quickly filled" with blood after the incident. Cooper said her life was "put in the balance."
Defense Atty. Kelly-Ann Stoikoff said her client would carry out his sentence despite protesting his innocence. She said he wanted to start his life again once he left jail and plans to be a part of his daughter's life.
In the sentence, Lang said the child's life was at risk because she was drowning in her own blood. He told the man that by injuring her, he had abused his position as the caregiver of his daughter.
According to reports, Lang was appalled by the man's actions. He said he was "left at a loss" on how a father could treat his baby. The judge remained unimpressed with the man's criminal history with five convictions for aggravated robbery in 2009 and other charges of violent offenses.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet