New Zealand Welcomes Better-Than-Expected Budget Surplus with Benefits for Families
By Reissa Su | May 16, 2014 3:54 PM EST
New Zealand will welcome the newly-released budget focusing on the family. Finance Minister Bill English has delivered a budget with a bigger-than-expected forecast, tax cuts and free doctor visits to over 400,000 children under the age of 13.
New Zealand's Prime Minister John Key speaks at a luncheon in Sydney February 7, 2014 file photo. REUTERS/Brendon Thorne/Pool
English said the budget surplus would amount to $372 million which is bigger than the predicted $86 million six months ago, thanks to New Zealand's booming economy. He said the new budget was the first time in six years to focus on economic growth management rather than economic recovery.
The $1 billion allotted for new spending will mostly go to a $500 million package to benefit children and families. After Prime Minister John Key's budget speech, he said the budget was a "reflection" of the fact that the government has been working with the people to bring the budget back into surplus.
Mr Key said it was only natural that the government will focus its attention to families, especially vulnerable children. He believes many New Zealanders will want free doctor visits, free prescriptions for children under 13, paid parental leaves and other spending that will support families.
However, Labour Leader David Cunliffe said the budget may be lacking in vision, substance and direction. He said it "shortchanges New Zealanders" and does nothing to solve the housing crisis.
Cunliffe said the National Party had borrowed from Labour's strategies with policies like extension on paid parental leave which the government has not done well. He added if New Zealanders wanted the full package, the simple solution would be to "vote Labour."
The Labour leader said National had "plundered" Labour's ideas but was not worried because they have many more.
Aside from an extension on paid parental leave, the government featured a $90-million package for three years beginning 2015 for free doctors' visits and prescriptions under 13 years of age. Previously, the benefit was only available for children under 6.
According to Health Minister Tony Ryall, the plan will take effect in July 2014 for over 400,000 children and their families. The paid parental leave will be extended from 14 to 16 weeks starting April 1, 2015. It would then be increased to 18 weeks a year later.
English also announced a $480-million cut to ACC levies from 2015 which also includes motor vehicle levies. The budget indicates surpluses will be rising to $1.3 billion in 2015 and to $3.5 billion by 2016. He said the moderate increase will provide future options for the government to invest in public services and apply modest tax cuts.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- West Africa Ebola Epidemic To Last 12-18 Months More
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet