‘Spring Breakers 2’ Producers Hit Back At James Franco For Calling Planned Sequel ‘Horrible’
By Anne Lu | May 16, 2014 3:53 PM EST
“Spring Breakers 2” sequel producers Chris and Roberta Hanley are hitting back at James Franco for saying that the sequel to the 2012 film will be “horrible.”
Franco, who starred in the film as the gangster Alien, was not at all happy that there will be a sequel to the dramedy film.
On Thursday, he did not hold back his feelings when he wrote a lengthy post on Instagram about the planned sequel.
“STATEMENT ABOUT SPRING BREAKERS 2: This is not being done with Harmony Korine or my consent. The original was wholly Harmony’s creation and these producers are capitalising on that innovative film to make money on a weak sequel. I want everyone to know that whoever is involved in the sequel is jumping on board a prison ship,” a statement on his Instagram account reads, referring to the director and writer of the film.
“It will be a terrible film, with a horrible reason d'être: to make money off someone else’s creativity. Can you imagine someone making the sequel to ‘Taxi Driver’ without Scorcese and DeNiro’s consents? Insanity! I’m speaking up for Harmony and his original vision and for any creative person who cares about preserving artistic integrity.”
The Hanleys’ Muse Productions company and fellow producer Jordan Gertner are being sued by their former business partners on “Spring Breakers” for breach of contract, which has put the planned “Spring Breakers: The Second Coming” in somewhat controversial position.
Even though one can hear the anger coming out of Franco’s words on Instagram, Chris Hanley just laughed it off, saying Franco’s one to talk when he is a “sequel junkie” as well.
“Let’s see if I can remember all of the sequels James has done,” he told Variety, listing “’The Great and Mighty Oz,’ ‘Spider-Man,’ ‘Planet of the Apes’” as the films the actor has starred in.
Chris added, “And he’s pushing hard to set up the ‘Pineapple Express’ sequel.”
“Franco is a sequel junkie in his own reality, embracing the too big to fail studio system that is his meal ticket to dilettante artistic side shows, while he glibly attacks real independent filmmakers dedicated to independent points of view.
“The next spring breakers will make the first one look like some Disney girls trying to get a new lease on life,” he added, perhaps referring to the film’s co-stars Vanessa Hudgens and Selena Gomez’s past as Disney teen stars.
Chris also said that the upcoming film will be directed by “Spun” helmer Jonas Akerlund, and will be from an original screenplay by “Trainspotting” author Irvine Welsh.
“These aren’t weak or lame artists,” he said. “And I think our track record speaks for itself.”
Gertner, meanwhile, said that they “had a great relationship with Harmony Korine and now we’re exploring a new incarnation of ‘Spring Breakers.’”
The first film, which also stars Ashley Benson and Rachel Korine, follows four girls (Gomez, Hudgens, Benson and Korine) on their spring break, which starts as an innocent trip but quickly becomes a drug and crime spree.
It received positive reviews from critics, and has earned over USD31 million against a budged of USD5 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles