Thousands of Investors Consider $200M Class Action Suit Against CBA for Bad Financial Advice; Construction Firm Leighton Reaches $69.4M Class Action Settlement
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 16, 2014 3:06 PM EST
Thousands of investors are considering filing a $200-million class action suit against Financial Wisdom, owned by the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) because of alleged bad financial advice that cost them to lose their life savings.
Marquis was ordered to attend diversity awareness classes as part of her sentence (Reuters)
Moneymanagement reported that compensation law firm Shine Lawyers disclosed the possible lawsuit after it was approached by some of the dissatisfied investors.
The law firm said about 3,000 invested placed their savings in CBA products through its subsidiaries Financial Wisdom, Commonwealth Financial Planning, Colonial Life Insurance, Comminsure and Colonial First State Investments.
Meanwhile, construction giant Leighton reached a $69.45-million settlement, The Australian reported on Friday.
The class action was linked to events in April 2011 when Leighton announced a possible $427 million annual loss which is the reverse of a $480 million profit.
Leighton shareholders charged the company of violating corporate law requirements that mandated the firm to inform the market of information that materially affects the company.
The announcement resulted in a 14 per cent decline in shareprice of the construction firm.
Law firm Maurice Blackburn, which handled the class action, said the early settlement "supports the strength of the litigants claim as well as the willingness on the part of Leighton to address the issue sensibly and responsibly."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Floyd Mayweather Gets Investment Advice from Warren Buffett What to Do With Millions
- Former U.S. VP Al Gore Backs Ovo Energy by Investing £8 Million Before IPO
- Study Shows Gap Between What Advisors Say and What Resonates with Investors
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0