Thousands of Investors Consider $200M Class Action Suit Against CBA for Bad Financial Advice; Construction Firm Leighton Reaches $69.4M Class Action Settlement
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 16, 2014 3:06 PM EST
Thousands of investors are considering filing a $200-million class action suit against Financial Wisdom, owned by the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) because of alleged bad financial advice that cost them to lose their life savings.
Marquis was ordered to attend diversity awareness classes as part of her sentence (Reuters)
Moneymanagement reported that compensation law firm Shine Lawyers disclosed the possible lawsuit after it was approached by some of the dissatisfied investors.
The law firm said about 3,000 invested placed their savings in CBA products through its subsidiaries Financial Wisdom, Commonwealth Financial Planning, Colonial Life Insurance, Comminsure and Colonial First State Investments.
Meanwhile, construction giant Leighton reached a $69.45-million settlement, The Australian reported on Friday.
The class action was linked to events in April 2011 when Leighton announced a possible $427 million annual loss which is the reverse of a $480 million profit.
Leighton shareholders charged the company of violating corporate law requirements that mandated the firm to inform the market of information that materially affects the company.
The announcement resulted in a 14 per cent decline in shareprice of the construction firm.
Law firm Maurice Blackburn, which handled the class action, said the early settlement "supports the strength of the litigants claim as well as the willingness on the part of Leighton to address the issue sensibly and responsibly."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Microsoft To Have Its Own Retail Outlet in Manhattan
- Telstra To Convert Old Payphones Into Wi-Fi Hotspots
- #Bendgate Video Hits Almost 46 Million In 5 Days, But Impact On Apple’s Finances Minimal
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes