After Failing to Get Steve Kerr, New York Knicks Look to Derek Fisher as Next Head Coach
By James Patrick Quizon | May 16, 2014 2:00 PM EST
Veteran point guard Derek Fisher has already his next gig ready if he decides to retire from playing basketball: head coach of the New York Knicks.
Fisher, who is still an active player for the Oklahoma City Thunder in the 2014 NBA Playoffs, is reportedly the leading candidate for the head coaching job in the Big Apple after the Knicks failed to lure Steve Kerr in recent weeks
Kerr, who was the erstwhile front-runner for the Knicks job spurned New York and signed a five-year $25 million deal to coach the Golden State Warriors last Tuesday
Like Kerr, Fisher has zero coaching experience but his connection with Phil Jackson, NY’s president of basketball operations, could be enough to lure him to New York.
"Hiring a coach I don't think it’s important with a timetable," Jackson said in the New York Daily News. "We'd really like to have a coach in our summer league camp, or our summer league games out in Las Vegas in July. That is important to us.”
According to the same website, Jackson’s intent is to put an experienced staff—knowledgeable of his Triangle Offense—around Fisher, if takes the NY deal. Names include Kurt Rambis and Bill Cartwright who has worked in some capacity as Jackson’s assistants and former head coaches in the league as well.
"We're looking for a leader," Jackson added. "Someone who can bring out the best in players, someone who has the capability of encouraging the staff to meet the needs that players have, that philosophically join in, they buy into what we're doing."
Maybe Fisher is the leader the Knicks are looking for. But they have to wait a little bit longer as the veteran is still trying to help out the Thunder get an NBA title. Oklahoma City leads the Los Angeles Clippers, 3-2 in their best-of-seven series.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date