Portland Trail Blazers Extend Terry Stotts’ Contract as Head Coach
By James Patrick Quizon | May 16, 2014 1:40 PM EST
For leading the Portland Trail Blazers to a successful season and a nice playoff run, head coach Terry Stotts has been given a two-year contract extension by the franchise.
The new deal has been reported first by Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and reportedly has been finalized on Thursday.
The Trail Blazers went 54-28 in the 2013-2014 regular season and went into the West Playoffs as the 5th seed. They pulled off a minor upset over the fourth seeded Houston Rockets in the first round of the postseason finishing the best-of-seven series in six games.
The playoff series victory was a first for the franchise since 2000.
“Terry has done an outstanding job during his first two years with the organization. This extension illustrates our confidence in him as our head coach as well as the Portland Trail Blazers' continued commitment to building a model of consistency and stability." Portland general manager Neil Olshey said in an official statement.
Stotts, who is a former NBA player, was an assistant coach for the Seattle SuperSonics and Milwaukee Bucks from 1992 to 2002. He had his first head coaching gig for the Atlanta Hawks (2002-2004) before going to the Bucks as head mentor (2005-2007). He has been with the Trail Blazers since 2012.
Stotts continued tenure in Portland should bode well for a franchise which has seen the rise of stars in LaMarcus Aldridge and Damian Lillard-- both of whom have had great postseason performances in the 2014 NBA Playoffs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Without LeBron James, Kevin Durant And Other Stars, Team USA Looks to James Harden As Leader In 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Amazon Threatened by Google’s Partnership with Barnes and Noble