China's Xiaomi Takes Over Apple's iPad Unveiling Copycat 'Mi Pad'
By Naveena Joy | May 16, 2014 1:35 PM EST
Apple has dominated the tablet market with its iPad for a very long time. Currently, it seems the company is challenged by a Chinese smartphone company who will take over the market.
China's Xiaomi, a budget smartphone maker, unveils "Mi Pad," its first tablet, stretching to a new product line and confront those companies who have already established their position in the market such as Samsung Electronics and Apple Inc. The name of the tablet given by Xiaomi is nearly similar to that of iPad, simply adding one letter and a space to Apple's trademark name.
The tablet comes in six different color options with a plastic body. It will have a 7.9-inch display screen similar to Apple's iPad mini, wireless Internet, front and back cameras and built-in memory capacity of 16 GB or 64 GB. It also comes in an identical screen resolution of 2048 x 1536 and runs on Google's Android operating system "MIUI," like Apple's iOS 7.
The product may be identical to Apple's iPad. But in terms of pricing, it is much cheaper offering the model at a price of $240 for the smaller version.
There is no clear understanding of the 4G version by the company, but confirmed Sharp as a supplier who is responsible in providing the displays for the tablet. It is also powered by Nvidia's new K1 mobile processor at 2.2 GHz with MicroSD storage options.
"We wanted the hardware to come close to, or even surpass Apple's iPad," Xiaomi's Founder Lei Jun said at an event in Beijing. Xiaomi is the sixth largest smartphone provider in the world providing cheap yet sleek phones popular in China.
"Xiaomi has a different business model than Apple or Samsung," Ben Thompson, founder of Stratechery.com, a technology and strategy Web site, said.
"Apple makes it profits on the hardware, while Xiaomi claims they will make their profits on services."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘Halo: Master Chief’ Collection Update Detailed As ‘Halo: Nightfall’ Continues To Roll
- ‘Destiny’ Dev Details Update; New Exotic Weapons Coming And New Speculations On Free Trial
- AT&T Nexus 6 Returned To Motorola Due To Software Bug: Black Screen And Failure To Connect To Service
- Official Android 5.0 Lollipop Update For HTC One Google Play Editions Delayed Due To New Software Request
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Guide: Continuous Breeding, Must See Places And TwitchPlays Pokemon Activity
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports