China's Xiaomi Takes Over Apple's iPad Unveiling Copycat 'Mi Pad'
By Naveena Joy | May 16, 2014 1:35 PM EST
Apple has dominated the tablet market with its iPad for a very long time. Currently, it seems the company is challenged by a Chinese smartphone company who will take over the market.
China's Xiaomi, a budget smartphone maker, unveils "Mi Pad," its first tablet, stretching to a new product line and confront those companies who have already established their position in the market such as Samsung Electronics and Apple Inc. The name of the tablet given by Xiaomi is nearly similar to that of iPad, simply adding one letter and a space to Apple's trademark name.
The tablet comes in six different color options with a plastic body. It will have a 7.9-inch display screen similar to Apple's iPad mini, wireless Internet, front and back cameras and built-in memory capacity of 16 GB or 64 GB. It also comes in an identical screen resolution of 2048 x 1536 and runs on Google's Android operating system "MIUI," like Apple's iOS 7.
The product may be identical to Apple's iPad. But in terms of pricing, it is much cheaper offering the model at a price of $240 for the smaller version.
There is no clear understanding of the 4G version by the company, but confirmed Sharp as a supplier who is responsible in providing the displays for the tablet. It is also powered by Nvidia's new K1 mobile processor at 2.2 GHz with MicroSD storage options.
"We wanted the hardware to come close to, or even surpass Apple's iPad," Xiaomi's Founder Lei Jun said at an event in Beijing. Xiaomi is the sixth largest smartphone provider in the world providing cheap yet sleek phones popular in China.
"Xiaomi has a different business model than Apple or Samsung," Ben Thompson, founder of Stratechery.com, a technology and strategy Web site, said.
"Apple makes it profits on the hardware, while Xiaomi claims they will make their profits on services."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Updates; PokeNav And Pokemon Halloween Detailed
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage