Indiana Pacers Beat Washington Wizards in 6, Advances to East Finals vs. Miami Heat
By James Patrick Quizon | May 16, 2014 1:25 PM EST
After the inconsistencies against the Atlanta Hawks in the first round and yet another roller-coaster performance versus the Washington Wizards in the second round, Indiana Pacers will meet the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference Finals.
The East’s top seed took care of business in Game 6 of their best-of-seven series against the Wizards Thursday night with a convincing 93-80 win led by David West’s 29 points.
As expected the Pacers turned to their defense to notch the clinching victory containing the hapless Wizards to just 39.3 per cent shooting from the floor. On offense, it was all West late in the game with a barrage of mid-range shots that took the air out of the rallying Washington squad, who even got the 74-73 with 8:30 to go in the payoff period.
The Pacers stalled that rally with a 20-6 run to end the game sending a strong warning to rival Miami as they both squads prepare for the next round. West shot 13-of-26 from the field scoring 8 points in the crucial stretch. The veteran power forward added 6 rebounds and 4 assists.
Other Pacers were aggressive and more importantly, composed in this game too. All starters finished in double-figure scoring with Lance Stephenson adding 17 points (8/13 FG), Paul George 12 points plus Roy Hibbert and George Hill with 11 markers apiece.
For Washington, Marcin Gortat had another good outing with 19 points and 6 rebounds but only got 12 points from John Wall, who missed 11-of-16 shots with 5 turnovers. Bradley Beal had 16 points on 7-of-19 field goals.
The Wizards did upset the Chicago Bulls in the first round so it was a successful season nonetheless for the young squad. Wall is 23 years old and Beal is 20 years old and both should be the cornerstones of the franchise for years to come.
The Miami-Indiana East Finals begin with Game 1 on Sunday with the Pacers holding the homecourt advantage.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28