Indiana Pacers Beat Washington Wizards in 6, Advances to East Finals vs. Miami Heat
By James Patrick Quizon | May 16, 2014 1:25 PM EST
After the inconsistencies against the Atlanta Hawks in the first round and yet another roller-coaster performance versus the Washington Wizards in the second round, Indiana Pacers will meet the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference Finals.
The East’s top seed took care of business in Game 6 of their best-of-seven series against the Wizards Thursday night with a convincing 93-80 win led by David West’s 29 points.
As expected the Pacers turned to their defense to notch the clinching victory containing the hapless Wizards to just 39.3 per cent shooting from the floor. On offense, it was all West late in the game with a barrage of mid-range shots that took the air out of the rallying Washington squad, who even got the 74-73 with 8:30 to go in the payoff period.
The Pacers stalled that rally with a 20-6 run to end the game sending a strong warning to rival Miami as they both squads prepare for the next round. West shot 13-of-26 from the field scoring 8 points in the crucial stretch. The veteran power forward added 6 rebounds and 4 assists.
Other Pacers were aggressive and more importantly, composed in this game too. All starters finished in double-figure scoring with Lance Stephenson adding 17 points (8/13 FG), Paul George 12 points plus Roy Hibbert and George Hill with 11 markers apiece.
For Washington, Marcin Gortat had another good outing with 19 points and 6 rebounds but only got 12 points from John Wall, who missed 11-of-16 shots with 5 turnovers. Bradley Beal had 16 points on 7-of-19 field goals.
The Wizards did upset the Chicago Bulls in the first round so it was a successful season nonetheless for the young squad. Wall is 23 years old and Beal is 20 years old and both should be the cornerstones of the franchise for years to come.
The Miami-Indiana East Finals begin with Game 1 on Sunday with the Pacers holding the homecourt advantage.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales