Indiana Pacers Beat Washington Wizards in 6, Advances to East Finals vs. Miami Heat
By James Patrick Quizon | May 16, 2014 1:25 PM EST
After the inconsistencies against the Atlanta Hawks in the first round and yet another roller-coaster performance versus the Washington Wizards in the second round, Indiana Pacers will meet the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference Finals.
The East’s top seed took care of business in Game 6 of their best-of-seven series against the Wizards Thursday night with a convincing 93-80 win led by David West’s 29 points.
As expected the Pacers turned to their defense to notch the clinching victory containing the hapless Wizards to just 39.3 per cent shooting from the floor. On offense, it was all West late in the game with a barrage of mid-range shots that took the air out of the rallying Washington squad, who even got the 74-73 with 8:30 to go in the payoff period.
The Pacers stalled that rally with a 20-6 run to end the game sending a strong warning to rival Miami as they both squads prepare for the next round. West shot 13-of-26 from the field scoring 8 points in the crucial stretch. The veteran power forward added 6 rebounds and 4 assists.
Other Pacers were aggressive and more importantly, composed in this game too. All starters finished in double-figure scoring with Lance Stephenson adding 17 points (8/13 FG), Paul George 12 points plus Roy Hibbert and George Hill with 11 markers apiece.
For Washington, Marcin Gortat had another good outing with 19 points and 6 rebounds but only got 12 points from John Wall, who missed 11-of-16 shots with 5 turnovers. Bradley Beal had 16 points on 7-of-19 field goals.
The Wizards did upset the Chicago Bulls in the first round so it was a successful season nonetheless for the young squad. Wall is 23 years old and Beal is 20 years old and both should be the cornerstones of the franchise for years to come.
The Miami-Indiana East Finals begin with Game 1 on Sunday with the Pacers holding the homecourt advantage.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet