Fueled by Improved Treatments: Canadian Life Expectancy Rises, 80 For Men, 84 For Women
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 16, 2014 1:21 PM EST
With improved treatments, life expectancy among Canadians has surged with males expected to reach 80 and females 84, based on a report released by the World Health Organization. Life expectancy worldwide generally improved, especially in low-income countries.
An elderly man takes part in a rally to commemorate International Workers' Day, or Labour Day, in Luhansk, eastern Ukraine, May 1, 2014. REUTERS/Vasily Fedosenko
Based on the World Health Statistics 2014:
- Average life expectancy for males born in 2012 in Canada, 80 and females, 84
- Males born in Canada in 1990 could expect to live up to 74 and females until 81 on average
- Life expectancy for both sexes in Canada increased on average from 77 in 1990 to 82 in 2012
"In high-income countries, much of the gain in life expectancy is due to success in tackling noncommunicable diseases," Ties Boerma, director of the Department of Health Statistics and Information Systems at the WHO, said.
"Richer countries have become better at monitoring and managing high blood pressure, for example."
Notable is the diminishing use of tobacco which has helped people live longer, WHO added. The report highlighted the progress in the life expectancy of people living in low-income countries, which had an average increase by nine years from 1990 to 2012.
Dr. Margaret Chan, WHO director general, has attributed the longevity of the life expectancy to fewer dying children before their fifth birthday. The division, however, between high-income countries and low-income countries still persists.
Life expectancy for both men and women is still less than 55 years in nine sub-Saharan African countries: Angola, Central African Republic, Chad, Ivory Coast, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Lesotho, Mozambique, Nigeria and Sierra Leone.
The top three countries for life expectancy for men in 2012:
For women, the top countries were:
- Japan, 87.0
- Spain, 85.1
- Switzerland, 85.1
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting: Giant 5 Mile Wide UFO Spotted Over the Ocean in NASA Photograph [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting In Portsmouth: Sign Of Alien Life Or Smudge On The Camera [Watch Video]
- Lifestyle Changes Reduces Risk of Dementia, According To World Alzheimer Report 2014
- Death By Ice Bucket Challenge Accident For Kentucky Firefighter
- Canada PM Stephen Harper to Skip UN Climate Summit
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?