Former NFL Star Aaron Hernandez Faces Two Strong Homicide Charges
By James Patrick Quizon | May 16, 2014 12:24 PM EST
Already in trial for another shooting death, former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez is accused of shooting to death two men—Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado after an encounter in a Boston nightclub in July of 2012. Hernandez is also accused of shooting Odin Lloyd in Hernandez’s home in June of 2013.
Aaron Hernandez appears for a pre-trial hearing at Bristol County Superior Court in Fall River, Massachusetts in this February 7, 2014 file photo. Hernandez, the former New England Patriots NFL football player, already awaiting trial on charges of shooting a man to death last July, was indicted May 15, 2014 for the 2012 murder of two men in a Boston drive-by shooting, according to the Boston Globe, which cited two officials briefed on the case.
According to Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley the night club incident “triggered a series of events that ended in the murders” as per ESPN.com. Conley said that Hernandez followed in an SUV after the men left the club and then pulled up alongside the vehicle and fired multiple shots into the passenger’s side killing both men and wounding another.
Charles Rankin and James Sultan, representing Hernandez in this case, said in an official statement that they wouldn’t discuss the case in the media.
"Under our system of justice, Aaron Hernandez is innocent of these charges, and he looks forward to his day in court,’ read the statement.
The families of the victims have already filed civil lawsuits against Hernandez in February 2012 asking for $6 million damages for the deaths.
Hernandez was drafted by the Patriots in the fourth round of the 2010 NFL Draft and played with the team from 2010 to 2012 and even signed a five-year contract extension worth roughly $40 million in that final year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money