Former NFL Star Aaron Hernandez Faces Two Strong Homicide Charges
By James Patrick Quizon | May 16, 2014 12:24 PM EST
Already in trial for another shooting death, former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez is accused of shooting to death two men—Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado after an encounter in a Boston nightclub in July of 2012. Hernandez is also accused of shooting Odin Lloyd in Hernandez’s home in June of 2013.
Aaron Hernandez appears for a pre-trial hearing at Bristol County Superior Court in Fall River, Massachusetts in this February 7, 2014 file photo. Hernandez, the former New England Patriots NFL football player, already awaiting trial on charges of shooting a man to death last July, was indicted May 15, 2014 for the 2012 murder of two men in a Boston drive-by shooting, according to the Boston Globe, which cited two officials briefed on the case.
According to Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley the night club incident “triggered a series of events that ended in the murders” as per ESPN.com. Conley said that Hernandez followed in an SUV after the men left the club and then pulled up alongside the vehicle and fired multiple shots into the passenger’s side killing both men and wounding another.
Charles Rankin and James Sultan, representing Hernandez in this case, said in an official statement that they wouldn’t discuss the case in the media.
"Under our system of justice, Aaron Hernandez is innocent of these charges, and he looks forward to his day in court,’ read the statement.
The families of the victims have already filed civil lawsuits against Hernandez in February 2012 asking for $6 million damages for the deaths.
Hernandez was drafted by the Patriots in the fourth round of the 2010 NFL Draft and played with the team from 2010 to 2012 and even signed a five-year contract extension worth roughly $40 million in that final year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier