Former NFL Star Aaron Hernandez Faces Two Strong Homicide Charges
By James Patrick Quizon | May 16, 2014 12:24 PM EST
Already in trial for another shooting death, former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez is accused of shooting to death two men—Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado after an encounter in a Boston nightclub in July of 2012. Hernandez is also accused of shooting Odin Lloyd in Hernandez’s home in June of 2013.
Aaron Hernandez appears for a pre-trial hearing at Bristol County Superior Court in Fall River, Massachusetts in this February 7, 2014 file photo. Hernandez, the former New England Patriots NFL football player, already awaiting trial on charges of shooting a man to death last July, was indicted May 15, 2014 for the 2012 murder of two men in a Boston drive-by shooting, according to the Boston Globe, which cited two officials briefed on the case.
According to Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley the night club incident “triggered a series of events that ended in the murders” as per ESPN.com. Conley said that Hernandez followed in an SUV after the men left the club and then pulled up alongside the vehicle and fired multiple shots into the passenger’s side killing both men and wounding another.
Charles Rankin and James Sultan, representing Hernandez in this case, said in an official statement that they wouldn’t discuss the case in the media.
"Under our system of justice, Aaron Hernandez is innocent of these charges, and he looks forward to his day in court,’ read the statement.
The families of the victims have already filed civil lawsuits against Hernandez in February 2012 asking for $6 million damages for the deaths.
Hernandez was drafted by the Patriots in the fourth round of the 2010 NFL Draft and played with the team from 2010 to 2012 and even signed a five-year contract extension worth roughly $40 million in that final year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June