‘Supernatural’ Spin-Off Still Possible, Just Different From ‘Bloodlines’
By Anne Lu | May 16, 2014 10:58 AM EST
The doomed “Supernatural” spin-off is getting another chance, just not the originally planned “Supernatural: Bloodlines.” The CW president Mark Pedowitz is still hopeful that an offshoot show from the long-running U.S. series will be aired next season.
“Bloodlines,” initially called “Tribes,” was introduced during the 20th episode of the current ninth season of the show. It would have explored the “clashing hunter and monster cultures in Chicago.”
However, it was not picked up by the network for its 2014-2015 season.
Fans’ reactions to the planned series range from mixed to mostly negative. Many viewers complained that “Bloodlines” didn’t have a single established character from the original series, which didn’t allow viewers to care enough for the new plot and characters of the spin-off.
Unlike other spin-off shows, for example “The Originals” which have main characters who were already known and loved by fans on “The Vampire Diaries,” “Bloodlines” had all-new characters that were basically unknown to “Supernatural” viewers. There was little that enticed viewers to tune into the new series.
But as “Supernatural” has proven time and again, no one really dies in the show. And in this case, a spin-off still has a chance at life.
“We felt that Supernatural [spin-off Bloodlines] just didn’t quite get there, though we do know that people would come to it based on what we saw that night,” Pedowitz said.
“I’ve already spoken to the creator and the studio. They know that we want to develop once more next season, a Supernatural spin-off. What it is and what it isn’t is still in the air.”
Discussions about the new spin-off will be determined around June and July, he added.
“Supernatural” is about to air its season nine finale on Tuesday in the U.S. Misha Collins, who plays the fan-favourite Castiel in the series, has just been announced to return for season ten.
“I don’t know know what is left other than cross-dressing Cas. He’s been crazy, he’s been megalomaniacal, he’s been contrite, he’s been self-loathing, eh’s been whimsical, he’s been human, he’s been a leviathan,” Collins told E! News of what he thinks is next for his character.
“I think there’s enough here they want to go back down any of those roads, there’s plenty to mine. But he has not done cross-dressing yet, so that is a pretty wide-open field right there!”
The show’s main stars, Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki, have already been guaranteed to return for the tenth season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Reports: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal