‘Supernatural’ Spin-Off Still Possible, Just Different From ‘Bloodlines’
By Anne Lu | May 16, 2014 10:58 AM EST
The doomed “Supernatural” spin-off is getting another chance, just not the originally planned “Supernatural: Bloodlines.” The CW president Mark Pedowitz is still hopeful that an offshoot show from the long-running U.S. series will be aired next season.
“Bloodlines,” initially called “Tribes,” was introduced during the 20th episode of the current ninth season of the show. It would have explored the “clashing hunter and monster cultures in Chicago.”
However, it was not picked up by the network for its 2014-2015 season.
Fans’ reactions to the planned series range from mixed to mostly negative. Many viewers complained that “Bloodlines” didn’t have a single established character from the original series, which didn’t allow viewers to care enough for the new plot and characters of the spin-off.
Unlike other spin-off shows, for example “The Originals” which have main characters who were already known and loved by fans on “The Vampire Diaries,” “Bloodlines” had all-new characters that were basically unknown to “Supernatural” viewers. There was little that enticed viewers to tune into the new series.
But as “Supernatural” has proven time and again, no one really dies in the show. And in this case, a spin-off still has a chance at life.
“We felt that Supernatural [spin-off Bloodlines] just didn’t quite get there, though we do know that people would come to it based on what we saw that night,” Pedowitz said.
“I’ve already spoken to the creator and the studio. They know that we want to develop once more next season, a Supernatural spin-off. What it is and what it isn’t is still in the air.”
Discussions about the new spin-off will be determined around June and July, he added.
“Supernatural” is about to air its season nine finale on Tuesday in the U.S. Misha Collins, who plays the fan-favourite Castiel in the series, has just been announced to return for season ten.
“I don’t know know what is left other than cross-dressing Cas. He’s been crazy, he’s been megalomaniacal, he’s been contrite, he’s been self-loathing, eh’s been whimsical, he’s been human, he’s been a leviathan,” Collins told E! News of what he thinks is next for his character.
“I think there’s enough here they want to go back down any of those roads, there’s plenty to mine. But he has not done cross-dressing yet, so that is a pretty wide-open field right there!”
The show’s main stars, Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki, have already been guaranteed to return for the tenth season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- Raining Discounts: $100 Price Cut on Moto X; LG G3 Available for $100 On-Contract; Sony Xperia Z2 on Release Date Gets $50 Price Cut (U.S.)