Sense of Purpose in Life Helps Live Longer, Canadian Research Reveals
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 16, 2014 10:01 AM EST
If you want to live longer, you better have a purpose in your life. The claim is not a philosophical one because you want to live longer to fulfil that purpose. It is rather based on a study conducted by Canadian researchers.
According to the research, people belonging to any age group are likely to live longer if they have a sense of purpose in life. Associate psychology professor at Carleton University and lead researcher Patrick Hill worked with associate psychology professor at Carleton University researcher Nicholas Turiano. The study is majorly based on an on-going psychological research called "Midlife in the United States."
The research, which was performed for fourteen years, asked 6,000 people if they felt like having a sense of purpose in life. CTV News reported that those people were specifically asked to choose what best suited them:
- Some people wander aimlessly through life, but I am not one of them
- I live life one day at a time and don't really think about the future
- I sometimes feel as I've done all there is to do in life
The researchers checked other variables which made an assessment of the participants on whether they had a positive relationship with other people. They also assessed how those people dealt with negative as well as positive emotions. After fourteen years, 569 people among the 6,000 choses ones passed away. It was only 9 per cent of the total number of people who participated in the research. According to the researchers, the people who died had fewer positive relations and lower purpose of life than those who survived.
A lower risk of death was predicted for people belonging to any age group. There were young as well as older and middle-aged people who participated in the research but the link surprisingly held true no matter what. Hill said in a statement that it was "pretty interesting" to "To show that purpose predicts longer lives for younger and older adults alike,"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Bill Clinton Credits Sugar-Free Diet For Weight Loss: A Vegan Diet If Not Followed Properly Can Cause Weight Gain
- Overdose Of Prescription Drug Oxycodone Even Deadlier Than Heroin
- The Secret Behind HIV Infection Found: Reasons Why It Could Not Be Eradicated
- Dr Oz: Your Diet Can Affect Your Mood, Five Diets That Help Combat Depression
- Celebrity Smokers and the Ways by Which They Quit Smoking
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How