Sense of Purpose in Life Helps Live Longer, Canadian Research Reveals
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 16, 2014 10:01 AM EST
If you want to live longer, you better have a purpose in your life. The claim is not a philosophical one because you want to live longer to fulfil that purpose. It is rather based on a study conducted by Canadian researchers.
According to the research, people belonging to any age group are likely to live longer if they have a sense of purpose in life. Associate psychology professor at Carleton University and lead researcher Patrick Hill worked with associate psychology professor at Carleton University researcher Nicholas Turiano. The study is majorly based on an on-going psychological research called "Midlife in the United States."
The research, which was performed for fourteen years, asked 6,000 people if they felt like having a sense of purpose in life. CTV News reported that those people were specifically asked to choose what best suited them:
- Some people wander aimlessly through life, but I am not one of them
- I live life one day at a time and don't really think about the future
- I sometimes feel as I've done all there is to do in life
The researchers checked other variables which made an assessment of the participants on whether they had a positive relationship with other people. They also assessed how those people dealt with negative as well as positive emotions. After fourteen years, 569 people among the 6,000 choses ones passed away. It was only 9 per cent of the total number of people who participated in the research. According to the researchers, the people who died had fewer positive relations and lower purpose of life than those who survived.
A lower risk of death was predicted for people belonging to any age group. There were young as well as older and middle-aged people who participated in the research but the link surprisingly held true no matter what. Hill said in a statement that it was "pretty interesting" to "To show that purpose predicts longer lives for younger and older adults alike,"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Peter Quillin Claims That Adriana Lima Will Beat Gisele In The Boxing Ring; Adriana's Weight Loss Through Boxing and A Paleo Diet
- Joan Rivers May Have Died From Propofol Like Michael Jackson
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Middleton's Morning Sickness Could Cause Risk Of Miscarriage[Watch Video]
- 'Keeping Up With The Kardashians' Star Kourtney Kardashian Blamed For Khloe's Weight Gain Through Social Media Messages
- Caution to Diabetics: Artificial Sweeteners May Increase Blood Sugar Levels Based on Study
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet