Sense of Purpose in Life Helps Live Longer, Canadian Research Reveals
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 16, 2014 10:01 AM EST
If you want to live longer, you better have a purpose in your life. The claim is not a philosophical one because you want to live longer to fulfil that purpose. It is rather based on a study conducted by Canadian researchers.
According to the research, people belonging to any age group are likely to live longer if they have a sense of purpose in life. Associate psychology professor at Carleton University and lead researcher Patrick Hill worked with associate psychology professor at Carleton University researcher Nicholas Turiano. The study is majorly based on an on-going psychological research called "Midlife in the United States."
The research, which was performed for fourteen years, asked 6,000 people if they felt like having a sense of purpose in life. CTV News reported that those people were specifically asked to choose what best suited them:
- Some people wander aimlessly through life, but I am not one of them
- I live life one day at a time and don't really think about the future
- I sometimes feel as I've done all there is to do in life
The researchers checked other variables which made an assessment of the participants on whether they had a positive relationship with other people. They also assessed how those people dealt with negative as well as positive emotions. After fourteen years, 569 people among the 6,000 choses ones passed away. It was only 9 per cent of the total number of people who participated in the research. According to the researchers, the people who died had fewer positive relations and lower purpose of life than those who survived.
A lower risk of death was predicted for people belonging to any age group. There were young as well as older and middle-aged people who participated in the research but the link surprisingly held true no matter what. Hill said in a statement that it was "pretty interesting" to "To show that purpose predicts longer lives for younger and older adults alike,"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Co-founder of ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, Corey Griffin, Drowns to Death
- Science of Depression: A Disease With a Biological Basis; Robin Williams A Victiom of the Disease [Watch Video]
- ALS sufferer takes on Ice Bucket Challenge For His Own Cause[Video]
- U.S. Pizza to Launch Sauces Laced with Marijuana
- Pornography: A 'Chemical Addiction' That Celebrities Admitted Being Addicted To
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch