Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Release Date Soon, Possible Launch Alongside Surface Mini at May 20 Event
By Karla Danica Figuerres | May 16, 2014 9:22 AM EST
Microsoft recently posted on its Web site's support page something that references the "Surface Pro 3 camera." Considering it was a typographical error and Microsoft meant to mention Surface Pro 2, it still trails the news from CNET claiming that there is "definitely a new Intel-based Surface" apart from the Qualcomm-powered Mini.
"From what I can assess so far I think it's going to [have] a new power-optimized Haswell variant," a chip industry source told CNET.
If the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 release date will launch at the press event in NYC next week, the Intel-based tablet will come less than a year following its predecessor's launch. Thus far, the Microsoft Surface Pro release date windows still need to establish a steady launch trend. Microsoft has not officially commented on the purported Microsoft Surface Pro 3 release date, but rumours unanimously agree that Surface Pro and Mini tablets will launch at the NYC press event.
The Microsoft Surface Pro 3 is rumoured to be a refreshed tablet with expected similarities yet slimmed down design from the already lightweight Microsoft Surface Pro 2 that weighs 2 pounds.
In the past, Surface Pro tablets were exclusively powered by Intel processors and Surface Pro 3 will be no exception. Moreover, the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 will likely get upgraded to the "Skylake" Intel Core i7 chip, which comes with the promise of a speedier device. Rumours suggest that the Surface Pro 3 will sport an impressive LED backlit Retina IPS display at 290ppi.
In the event that the Microsoft Pro 3 and the Surface Mini launch this month, it will buy Microsoft time to stay ahead of Apple's anticipated iPad Air and iPad Mini 3 release date this fall, which is important especially that recent rumours suggest that iOS 8 will sport the split-screen multitasking in the next models of upcoming iPads. Split-screen multitasking has been the competitive advantage of Microsoft tablets over the Apple iPads and it is pretty clear that Microsoft is prepping to launch tablets that will rival the Apple tablets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 4: San Francisco Giants 11, Kansas City Royals 4 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]