New Trend of Placing Adverts on Breasts of Female Tennis Player's Shirt Could Generate Controversy
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 16, 2014 9:04 AM EST
Advertising has not spared the athletic wear of professional sportsmen and women, but a new trend could generate controversy.
It is the fad of placing advertisements right on the breasts of the shirts of female tennis players. Among those seen wearing such not-so-subtle endorsements of brands are Camila Giorgi and Dominika Cibulkova of Slovakia.
News.com.au theorised that the chest area is where the logos and brands are placed because fans' eyes are often drawn to the bosom of female tennis players.
Most male athletes who endorse brands wear shirts with the logos on the shoulders or shorts, particularly among boxers who are topless on the ring.
A number of News.com.au readers who commented on the article said placing the advertisement on the breast is not surprising because most of the time the shirts the athletes wear are sleeveless.
Some, like Tom Cubis of Sydney, found the issue sexist as he pointed out "I don't think there would be a controversy if Nadal had the advertising on his chest because he wears sleeveless shirts."
Jade of Not here quipped, "If I were on that kind of money, they could slap a Viagra advertisemen right on the front of my pants and a constipation ad on my butt for all I care."
Sammy of Perth found the issue ridiculous, saying he Googled the photos of top tennis players and found that all of their shirts have the logos of their sponsors on their chest.
But leigh of Darwin concedes, "It probably does have something to do with advertising in the most prominent spot, and for women, hell even chicks look at chicks chest. And that's just the way it is."
Jacqui thought the photos used should have included images of Nadal's behind (in shorts).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video