New Trend of Placing Adverts on Breasts of Female Tennis Player's Shirt Could Generate Controversy
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 16, 2014 9:04 AM EST
Advertising has not spared the athletic wear of professional sportsmen and women, but a new trend could generate controversy.
It is the fad of placing advertisements right on the breasts of the shirts of female tennis players. Among those seen wearing such not-so-subtle endorsements of brands are Camila Giorgi and Dominika Cibulkova of Slovakia.
News.com.au theorised that the chest area is where the logos and brands are placed because fans' eyes are often drawn to the bosom of female tennis players.
Most male athletes who endorse brands wear shirts with the logos on the shoulders or shorts, particularly among boxers who are topless on the ring.
A number of News.com.au readers who commented on the article said placing the advertisement on the breast is not surprising because most of the time the shirts the athletes wear are sleeveless.
Some, like Tom Cubis of Sydney, found the issue sexist as he pointed out "I don't think there would be a controversy if Nadal had the advertising on his chest because he wears sleeveless shirts."
Jade of Not here quipped, "If I were on that kind of money, they could slap a Viagra advertisemen right on the front of my pants and a constipation ad on my butt for all I care."
Sammy of Perth found the issue ridiculous, saying he Googled the photos of top tennis players and found that all of their shirts have the logos of their sponsors on their chest.
But leigh of Darwin concedes, "It probably does have something to do with advertising in the most prominent spot, and for women, hell even chicks look at chicks chest. And that's just the way it is."
Jacqui thought the photos used should have included images of Nadal's behind (in shorts).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks