Boxing News 2014: If Juan Manuel Marquez Wins Over Mike Alvarado on Saturday, Pacquiao-Marquez 5 Possible
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 16, 2014 8:54 AM EST
There is no doubt that after the successful matches of Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr against their opponents, the Dream Match is the hottest speculation in the boxing world.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines watches as Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico is knocked down in the fifth round of their welterweight fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada December 8, 2012.[REUTERS/STEVE MARCUS]
The dare by boxing icon Muhammad Ali for Money May to meet the Pacman in the ring as well as recent reports that the eight-division title holder hints of no longer renewing his contract with Top Rank when it expires at the end of 2014, add fire to the growing clamour for the two contenders for the pound-for-pound king title to finally meet.
However, with more than 6 months before 2014 ends, another anticipated boxing rematch could possibly happen first - that between Pacquiao and Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez.
El Dinamita, who has complimented his ring rival for the convincing rematch against American boxer Timothy Bradley on April 13, said he wants to grab the WBO welterweight title from Pacquiao.
To be given that chance, he must first beat boxer Mike Alvarado this weekend and the winner could have a chance to meet the Filipino congressman in the ring.
Marquez told Lem Satterfield of ringtv.com, "I saw the best Manny Pacquiao [in the rematch with Bradley]. Right now, Pacquiao is using is speed and his movement in the ring. I saw the best Manny Pacquiao because he landed a lot of punches with his speed. I like the way that Manny Pacquiao fought."
Marquez said he is first concentrating on beating Alvarado whom he conceded is a tough fighter. Alvarado, from Denver, Colorado, has a 34-2 record with 23 KOs. His two losses were from the hands of Brandon Rios in October 2012 and Rusland Provodnikov in October 2013.
A Pacquiao-Marquez 5 bout would prove who the better fighter is between the two champions. Fight 1 was a draw, Pacquiao was the victor in fights 2 and 3, but Marquez knocked out the southpaw in fight 4.
By hinting he wants to meet Pacquiao again for the fifth time, Marquez is actually aiming for a fifth title to make him the first Mexican boxer in history to achieve that distinction.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money