Boxing News 2014: If Juan Manuel Marquez Wins Over Mike Alvarado on Saturday, Pacquiao-Marquez 5 Possible
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 16, 2014 8:54 AM EST
There is no doubt that after the successful matches of Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr against their opponents, the Dream Match is the hottest speculation in the boxing world.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines watches as Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico is knocked down in the fifth round of their welterweight fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada December 8, 2012.[REUTERS/STEVE MARCUS]
The dare by boxing icon Muhammad Ali for Money May to meet the Pacman in the ring as well as recent reports that the eight-division title holder hints of no longer renewing his contract with Top Rank when it expires at the end of 2014, add fire to the growing clamour for the two contenders for the pound-for-pound king title to finally meet.
However, with more than 6 months before 2014 ends, another anticipated boxing rematch could possibly happen first - that between Pacquiao and Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez.
El Dinamita, who has complimented his ring rival for the convincing rematch against American boxer Timothy Bradley on April 13, said he wants to grab the WBO welterweight title from Pacquiao.
To be given that chance, he must first beat boxer Mike Alvarado this weekend and the winner could have a chance to meet the Filipino congressman in the ring.
Marquez told Lem Satterfield of ringtv.com, "I saw the best Manny Pacquiao [in the rematch with Bradley]. Right now, Pacquiao is using is speed and his movement in the ring. I saw the best Manny Pacquiao because he landed a lot of punches with his speed. I like the way that Manny Pacquiao fought."
Marquez said he is first concentrating on beating Alvarado whom he conceded is a tough fighter. Alvarado, from Denver, Colorado, has a 34-2 record with 23 KOs. His two losses were from the hands of Brandon Rios in October 2012 and Rusland Provodnikov in October 2013.
A Pacquiao-Marquez 5 bout would prove who the better fighter is between the two champions. Fight 1 was a draw, Pacquiao was the victor in fights 2 and 3, but Marquez knocked out the southpaw in fight 4.
By hinting he wants to meet Pacquiao again for the fifth time, Marquez is actually aiming for a fifth title to make him the first Mexican boxer in history to achieve that distinction.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier