Boxing News 2014: If Juan Manuel Marquez Wins Over Mike Alvarado on Saturday, Pacquiao-Marquez 5 Possible
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 16, 2014 8:54 AM EST
There is no doubt that after the successful matches of Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr against their opponents, the Dream Match is the hottest speculation in the boxing world.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines watches as Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico is knocked down in the fifth round of their welterweight fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada December 8, 2012.[REUTERS/STEVE MARCUS]
The dare by boxing icon Muhammad Ali for Money May to meet the Pacman in the ring as well as recent reports that the eight-division title holder hints of no longer renewing his contract with Top Rank when it expires at the end of 2014, add fire to the growing clamour for the two contenders for the pound-for-pound king title to finally meet.
However, with more than 6 months before 2014 ends, another anticipated boxing rematch could possibly happen first - that between Pacquiao and Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez.
El Dinamita, who has complimented his ring rival for the convincing rematch against American boxer Timothy Bradley on April 13, said he wants to grab the WBO welterweight title from Pacquiao.
To be given that chance, he must first beat boxer Mike Alvarado this weekend and the winner could have a chance to meet the Filipino congressman in the ring.
Marquez told Lem Satterfield of ringtv.com, "I saw the best Manny Pacquiao [in the rematch with Bradley]. Right now, Pacquiao is using is speed and his movement in the ring. I saw the best Manny Pacquiao because he landed a lot of punches with his speed. I like the way that Manny Pacquiao fought."
Marquez said he is first concentrating on beating Alvarado whom he conceded is a tough fighter. Alvarado, from Denver, Colorado, has a 34-2 record with 23 KOs. His two losses were from the hands of Brandon Rios in October 2012 and Rusland Provodnikov in October 2013.
A Pacquiao-Marquez 5 bout would prove who the better fighter is between the two champions. Fight 1 was a draw, Pacquiao was the victor in fights 2 and 3, but Marquez knocked out the southpaw in fight 4.
By hinting he wants to meet Pacquiao again for the fifth time, Marquez is actually aiming for a fifth title to make him the first Mexican boxer in history to achieve that distinction.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies