Boxing News 2014: Money May Goes on a New York Shopping Spree; To Visit Leicester on June 18
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 16, 2014 8:39 AM EST
Unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr is certainly enjoying the fruits of his fists after a successful but dubious victory over Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana on May 3.
More than a week about the talked-about and controversial bout, Money May was seen on Tuesday with burly bodyguards shopping in New York. He had with him a large bag on his right shoulder, presumably full of money to burn (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2628146/Floyd-Mayweather-counts-cost-success-New-York-shopping-spree.html).
There were times when the 37-year-old boxer was seen bringing out wads of $100 bills from the bag, reported the Daily Mail. Dollar bills have become some sort of plaything for the boxing champ who has been seen in a video clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E2MAx0m3pI) timing how fast could the Mayweather girls count his money.
Certainly, Mayweather lives up to his moniker since his estimated lifetime earnings of $300 million has increased by a minimum $32 million - the guaranteed purse in his bout versus Maidana.
By his estimate, Mayweather reckons he made about $70 million from the May 3 bout, the difference coming from pay-per-view revenue, although there are no official figures yet for the PPV revenues.
Besides enjoying his wealth by shopping, Mayweather is scheduled to go on a world tour. Among his stops is England, particularly Bolton - the hometown of British boxer Amir Khan who has been raring to fight Mayweather - and Leicester.
He will be in Leicester on June 18 to attend a black tie dinner - where plates cost £100-£300 each - at Maher Centre on Ravensbridge Drive, Leicester city centre.
To host the event is Johnny Nelson, a former WBO cruiserweight champion and currently a Sky Sports presenter.
Leicester had previously hosted similar diners with a good turnout for other boxing greats such as Mike Tyson, Jose Calzage and Ricky Hatton.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June