Solange, Jay Z, Beyonce Issue Official Statement Re Elevator Attack
By Anne Lu | May 16, 2014 8:34 AM EST
Solange, Jay Z and Beyonce have finally spoken up about their highly controversial elevator fight. They denied that Solange was intoxicated during the family melee, which was captured on video and leaked to the public.
Jay Z and Beyonce Knowles arrive at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala Benefit celebrating the opening of "Charles James: Beyond Fashion" in Upper Manhattan, New York, May 5, 2014.
In the leaked security video of The Standard Hotel, Solange is seen viciously kicking and punching her brother-in-law while her sister Beyonce just stood by the side.
Speculations arose on what triggered the attack, with the New York Daily News citing a source that claims Jay Z became a little too close with designer Rachel Roy, the ex-wife of his former business partner Damon Dash.
This didn’t sit well with his sister-in-law, who had Beyonce’s welfare in mind. Solange, 27, was reportedly seen also picking up a fight with Roy earlier in the night.
For the first time since the video was leaked, Solange, Jay Z and Beyonce have finally spoken up about the incident.
“As a result of the public release of the elevator security footage from Monday, May 5th, there has been a great deal of speculation about what triggered the unfortunate incident. But the most important thing is that our family has worked through it,” the trio issued a statement to the Associated Press.
“Jay and Solange each assume their share of responsibility for what has occurred. They both acknowledge their role in this private matter that has played out in the public. They both have apologised to each other and we have moved forward as a united family.”
The family also denied rumours that Solange was drunk during the attack.
“The reports of Solange being intoxicated or displaying erratic behaviour throughout that evening are simply false,” the statement reads.
“At the end of the day families have problems and we’re no different. We love each other and above all we are family. We’ve put this behind us and hope everyone else will do the same.”
After Beyonce posted four photos of her and Solange together on her Instagram account, perhaps to disprove claims that she has had a falling out with her sister, Solange also posted a photo of them together when they were children.
Beyonce and Jay Z also showed a united front by attending an NBA game with him after the video was leaked.
According to reports, Jay Z and Solange were spotted shopping for jewellery together in New York. They did not buy anything in the high-end store, and there did not talk much during their outing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand