Solange, Jay Z, Beyonce Issue Official Statement Re Elevator Attack
By Anne Lu | May 16, 2014 8:34 AM EST
Solange, Jay Z and Beyonce have finally spoken up about their highly controversial elevator fight. They denied that Solange was intoxicated during the family melee, which was captured on video and leaked to the public.
Jay Z and Beyonce Knowles arrive at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala Benefit celebrating the opening of "Charles James: Beyond Fashion" in Upper Manhattan, New York, May 5, 2014.
In the leaked security video of The Standard Hotel, Solange is seen viciously kicking and punching her brother-in-law while her sister Beyonce just stood by the side.
Speculations arose on what triggered the attack, with the New York Daily News citing a source that claims Jay Z became a little too close with designer Rachel Roy, the ex-wife of his former business partner Damon Dash.
This didn’t sit well with his sister-in-law, who had Beyonce’s welfare in mind. Solange, 27, was reportedly seen also picking up a fight with Roy earlier in the night.
For the first time since the video was leaked, Solange, Jay Z and Beyonce have finally spoken up about the incident.
“As a result of the public release of the elevator security footage from Monday, May 5th, there has been a great deal of speculation about what triggered the unfortunate incident. But the most important thing is that our family has worked through it,” the trio issued a statement to the Associated Press.
“Jay and Solange each assume their share of responsibility for what has occurred. They both acknowledge their role in this private matter that has played out in the public. They both have apologised to each other and we have moved forward as a united family.”
The family also denied rumours that Solange was drunk during the attack.
“The reports of Solange being intoxicated or displaying erratic behaviour throughout that evening are simply false,” the statement reads.
“At the end of the day families have problems and we’re no different. We love each other and above all we are family. We’ve put this behind us and hope everyone else will do the same.”
After Beyonce posted four photos of her and Solange together on her Instagram account, perhaps to disprove claims that she has had a falling out with her sister, Solange also posted a photo of them together when they were children.
Beyonce and Jay Z also showed a united front by attending an NBA game with him after the video was leaked.
According to reports, Jay Z and Solange were spotted shopping for jewellery together in New York. They did not buy anything in the high-end store, and there did not talk much during their outing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Reports: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Pince Harry Somber - Reports
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal