Solange, Jay Z, Beyonce Issue Official Statement Re Elevator Attack
By Anne Lu | May 16, 2014 8:34 AM EST
Solange, Jay Z and Beyonce have finally spoken up about their highly controversial elevator fight. They denied that Solange was intoxicated during the family melee, which was captured on video and leaked to the public.
Jay Z and Beyonce Knowles arrive at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala Benefit celebrating the opening of "Charles James: Beyond Fashion" in Upper Manhattan, New York, May 5, 2014.
In the leaked security video of The Standard Hotel, Solange is seen viciously kicking and punching her brother-in-law while her sister Beyonce just stood by the side.
Speculations arose on what triggered the attack, with the New York Daily News citing a source that claims Jay Z became a little too close with designer Rachel Roy, the ex-wife of his former business partner Damon Dash.
This didn’t sit well with his sister-in-law, who had Beyonce’s welfare in mind. Solange, 27, was reportedly seen also picking up a fight with Roy earlier in the night.
For the first time since the video was leaked, Solange, Jay Z and Beyonce have finally spoken up about the incident.
“As a result of the public release of the elevator security footage from Monday, May 5th, there has been a great deal of speculation about what triggered the unfortunate incident. But the most important thing is that our family has worked through it,” the trio issued a statement to the Associated Press.
“Jay and Solange each assume their share of responsibility for what has occurred. They both acknowledge their role in this private matter that has played out in the public. They both have apologised to each other and we have moved forward as a united family.”
The family also denied rumours that Solange was drunk during the attack.
“The reports of Solange being intoxicated or displaying erratic behaviour throughout that evening are simply false,” the statement reads.
“At the end of the day families have problems and we’re no different. We love each other and above all we are family. We’ve put this behind us and hope everyone else will do the same.”
After Beyonce posted four photos of her and Solange together on her Instagram account, perhaps to disprove claims that she has had a falling out with her sister, Solange also posted a photo of them together when they were children.
Beyonce and Jay Z also showed a united front by attending an NBA game with him after the video was leaked.
According to reports, Jay Z and Solange were spotted shopping for jewellery together in New York. They did not buy anything in the high-end store, and there did not talk much during their outing.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family