Moody’s Says Australian Mining Industry to Continue Benefitting from Strong Chinese Demand for Commodities
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 16, 2014 8:27 AM EST
Despite a $30-billion forecast budget deficit for 2014-15, rating agency Moody's kept Australia's AAA credit rating this week. It also said that compared to other nations with the same tripe A rating, Canberra's growth outlook is still favourable.
Australia has the second-lowest level of government debt among Moody's 14 AAA-rated countries.
Moody's likewise said that the Australian mining industry would continue to benefit from the strong Chinese demand for commodities even if China's growth would slow down.
According to Business Spectator, Guangdong Rising Assets Management offered to buy for $1.5 billion Pan-Aust, a copper producer focused on Laos, while in early May, Chinese steel giant Baosteel partnered with Aurizon, a freight operator, to bid $1.4 billion for Aquila Resources.
Melbourne-based MMG, a Chinese-controlled miner, bought the Las Bambas copper project in Peru for $6 billion which made MMG one of the largest global producers of copper.
"We've already been seeing iron ore exports going up at a very rapid rate over the last year, so the volume of exports has actually already begun to see the benefit of that, despite somewhat slower growth in China and somewhat lower prices," AAP quoted Moody's Senior Vice President Steven Hess.
Hess added, "We expect that to continue for at least several years to come and that will underpin demand for Australian minerals and other commodities."
From January to April, mining acquisitions by Chinese firms went up 63 per cent, and the figure is expected to even expand as China relaxes its outbound investment regulations. Beginning May 8, deals below $1 billion and outside the sensitive sectors no longer need to secure regulatory approval from the National Development and Reform Commission.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How