Rihanna Accused of Cyberbullying Teen Who Copied Her Bat-Like Outfit to Prom
By Anne Lu | May 16, 2014 7:43 AM EST
Rihanna is being accused of cyberbullying a teen who wore a similar dress to the prom. Alexis Carter from Baltimore in the U.S. said she was offended by her idol when the Barbadian songstress mocked her on Twitter.
Singer Rihanna arrives at the 2014 MTV Movie Awards in Los Angeles, California April 13, 2014.
In 2010, Rihanna wore an interestingly-cut green Alexandre Vautheir jumpsuit to the 2010 Echo Awards. Alexis thought the outfit was “cool,” so she decided to recreate the jumpsuit, which has plunging neckline and what looks like wings attached under the arms, for her Hollywood-themed prom.
Alexis was pleased with her Rihanna-inspired dark green ensemble, and it appeared that everybody also thought it was a hit.
“Everybody was saying, ‘Oh my god, I love it, it looks nice your body looks good it’s different,” she told Fox Baltimore.
The next day, though, it was a different story. Photos of her posing in the outfit spread on social media with the hashtag #PromBat, mocking her for wearing a dress that looks like a bat costume.
But the most offensive of all is when Rihanna also mocked her outfit.
She wrote a sad face as the caption, adding the text “IG” (Instagram) on her photo and “Real Life” on Alexis’.
Rihanna also posted another Tweet of Alexis posing in the outfit, which she positioned next to the bat-like logo of the American hip-hop group Wu-Tang Clan.
Getting mocked by strangers online isn’t the greatest feeling in the world, but her own idol, who was the inspiration of her outfit in the first place, also making fun of her on Twitter where she has 35.5 million followers is perhaps the most disheartening of all.
“I was very offended,” Alexis said. “Why throw shade on it when you had on the exact same thing. The poses was different but the outfit wasn’t.”
She added of her now-ex-idol, “She don’t love her fans like she says she does.”
Alexis declined to show her face when she was interviewed by the local news, saying she’s afraid because even days after her prom, she is still being cyberbullied.
Reactions on social media are divided. Fans of the singer say Rihanna only gave Alexis the attention that she craved, while some people claim that the celebrity exposed the student to cyberbullying by posting her photos on Twitter and adding unkind texts.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet