Rihanna Accused of Cyberbullying Teen Who Copied Her Bat-Like Outfit to Prom
By Anne Lu | May 16, 2014 7:43 AM EST
Rihanna is being accused of cyberbullying a teen who wore a similar dress to the prom. Alexis Carter from Baltimore in the U.S. said she was offended by her idol when the Barbadian songstress mocked her on Twitter.
Singer Rihanna arrives at the 2014 MTV Movie Awards in Los Angeles, California April 13, 2014.
In 2010, Rihanna wore an interestingly-cut green Alexandre Vautheir jumpsuit to the 2010 Echo Awards. Alexis thought the outfit was “cool,” so she decided to recreate the jumpsuit, which has plunging neckline and what looks like wings attached under the arms, for her Hollywood-themed prom.
Alexis was pleased with her Rihanna-inspired dark green ensemble, and it appeared that everybody also thought it was a hit.
“Everybody was saying, ‘Oh my god, I love it, it looks nice your body looks good it’s different,” she told Fox Baltimore.
The next day, though, it was a different story. Photos of her posing in the outfit spread on social media with the hashtag #PromBat, mocking her for wearing a dress that looks like a bat costume.
But the most offensive of all is when Rihanna also mocked her outfit.
She wrote a sad face as the caption, adding the text “IG” (Instagram) on her photo and “Real Life” on Alexis’.
Rihanna also posted another Tweet of Alexis posing in the outfit, which she positioned next to the bat-like logo of the American hip-hop group Wu-Tang Clan.
Getting mocked by strangers online isn’t the greatest feeling in the world, but her own idol, who was the inspiration of her outfit in the first place, also making fun of her on Twitter where she has 35.5 million followers is perhaps the most disheartening of all.
“I was very offended,” Alexis said. “Why throw shade on it when you had on the exact same thing. The poses was different but the outfit wasn’t.”
She added of her now-ex-idol, “She don’t love her fans like she says she does.”
Alexis declined to show her face when she was interviewed by the local news, saying she’s afraid because even days after her prom, she is still being cyberbullied.
Reactions on social media are divided. Fans of the singer say Rihanna only gave Alexis the attention that she craved, while some people claim that the celebrity exposed the student to cyberbullying by posting her photos on Twitter and adding unkind texts.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation