Rihanna Accused of Cyberbullying Teen Who Copied Her Bat-Like Outfit to Prom
By Anne Lu | May 16, 2014 7:43 AM EST
Rihanna is being accused of cyberbullying a teen who wore a similar dress to the prom. Alexis Carter from Baltimore in the U.S. said she was offended by her idol when the Barbadian songstress mocked her on Twitter.
Singer Rihanna arrives at the 2014 MTV Movie Awards in Los Angeles, California April 13, 2014.
In 2010, Rihanna wore an interestingly-cut green Alexandre Vautheir jumpsuit to the 2010 Echo Awards. Alexis thought the outfit was “cool,” so she decided to recreate the jumpsuit, which has plunging neckline and what looks like wings attached under the arms, for her Hollywood-themed prom.
Alexis was pleased with her Rihanna-inspired dark green ensemble, and it appeared that everybody also thought it was a hit.
“Everybody was saying, ‘Oh my god, I love it, it looks nice your body looks good it’s different,” she told Fox Baltimore.
The next day, though, it was a different story. Photos of her posing in the outfit spread on social media with the hashtag #PromBat, mocking her for wearing a dress that looks like a bat costume.
But the most offensive of all is when Rihanna also mocked her outfit.
She wrote a sad face as the caption, adding the text “IG” (Instagram) on her photo and “Real Life” on Alexis’.
Rihanna also posted another Tweet of Alexis posing in the outfit, which she positioned next to the bat-like logo of the American hip-hop group Wu-Tang Clan.
Getting mocked by strangers online isn’t the greatest feeling in the world, but her own idol, who was the inspiration of her outfit in the first place, also making fun of her on Twitter where she has 35.5 million followers is perhaps the most disheartening of all.
“I was very offended,” Alexis said. “Why throw shade on it when you had on the exact same thing. The poses was different but the outfit wasn’t.”
She added of her now-ex-idol, “She don’t love her fans like she says she does.”
Alexis declined to show her face when she was interviewed by the local news, saying she’s afraid because even days after her prom, she is still being cyberbullied.
Reactions on social media are divided. Fans of the singer say Rihanna only gave Alexis the attention that she craved, while some people claim that the celebrity exposed the student to cyberbullying by posting her photos on Twitter and adding unkind texts.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Episode 6 Spoilers: Next Week Tests Relationships And Sees A Shocking Exit
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko