Maria Sharapova’s 12-0 Winning Streak
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 15, 2014 6:37 PM EST
Maria Sharapova did not have much luck at the beginning of the 2014 tennis season after not being able to reach a finals match in her first five tournaments. However, the Russian tennis darling has not lost a match ever since her loss against Serena Williams in the 2014 Sony Open Tennis. Sharapova now has a record of 12 wins and 0 loss.
Russian tennis player Maria Sharapova holds the Olympic flame during the opening ceremony of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games February 7, 2014. REUTERS/Brian Snyder
The last two tournaments that Sharapova had taken part in were the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix and the Mutua Madrid Open, both played in hard clay courts. She has successfully won all 11 of her matches in the said tournaments, making her win the titles altogether. Despite dominating the last two clay tournaments, Sharapova remained modest and said that she can't be called "The Queen of Clay" because of her winning streak.
"I haven't thought about myself as the Queen of Clay, but I certainly feel that I've improved a lot on this surface," Sharapova told Tennis.si.com. According to the Web site, Sharapova has only lost three matches on clay in the last three years.
"I really trained myself to become better because I had no choice but to try to get stronger, prepare better, recover better, and work on those things because they don't just come automatically," Sharapova added.
Sharapova revealed that she wasn't really feeling at easy playing on clay. "It just wasn't that much fun because I was tall and I never felt very comfortable on it." Sharapova said she enjoys winning on clay tournaments rather than playing on it.
Sharapova has just earned her 12th victory on clay court after beating Monica Puig in her first match in the most prestigious red clay tennis tournament in the world which is the Italian Open. Sharapova will face Ana Ivanovic in the next round.
Will Sharapova remain undefeated on clay?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports