Maria Sharapova’s 12-0 Winning Streak
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 15, 2014 6:37 PM EST
Maria Sharapova did not have much luck at the beginning of the 2014 tennis season after not being able to reach a finals match in her first five tournaments. However, the Russian tennis darling has not lost a match ever since her loss against Serena Williams in the 2014 Sony Open Tennis. Sharapova now has a record of 12 wins and 0 loss.
Russian tennis player Maria Sharapova holds the Olympic flame during the opening ceremony of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games February 7, 2014. REUTERS/Brian Snyder
The last two tournaments that Sharapova had taken part in were the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix and the Mutua Madrid Open, both played in hard clay courts. She has successfully won all 11 of her matches in the said tournaments, making her win the titles altogether. Despite dominating the last two clay tournaments, Sharapova remained modest and said that she can't be called "The Queen of Clay" because of her winning streak.
"I haven't thought about myself as the Queen of Clay, but I certainly feel that I've improved a lot on this surface," Sharapova told Tennis.si.com. According to the Web site, Sharapova has only lost three matches on clay in the last three years.
"I really trained myself to become better because I had no choice but to try to get stronger, prepare better, recover better, and work on those things because they don't just come automatically," Sharapova added.
Sharapova revealed that she wasn't really feeling at easy playing on clay. "It just wasn't that much fun because I was tall and I never felt very comfortable on it." Sharapova said she enjoys winning on clay tournaments rather than playing on it.
Sharapova has just earned her 12th victory on clay court after beating Monica Puig in her first match in the most prestigious red clay tennis tournament in the world which is the Italian Open. Sharapova will face Ana Ivanovic in the next round.
Will Sharapova remain undefeated on clay?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand