Maria Sharapova’s 12-0 Winning Streak
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 15, 2014 6:37 PM EST
Maria Sharapova did not have much luck at the beginning of the 2014 tennis season after not being able to reach a finals match in her first five tournaments. However, the Russian tennis darling has not lost a match ever since her loss against Serena Williams in the 2014 Sony Open Tennis. Sharapova now has a record of 12 wins and 0 loss.
Russian tennis player Maria Sharapova holds the Olympic flame during the opening ceremony of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games February 7, 2014. REUTERS/Brian Snyder
The last two tournaments that Sharapova had taken part in were the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix and the Mutua Madrid Open, both played in hard clay courts. She has successfully won all 11 of her matches in the said tournaments, making her win the titles altogether. Despite dominating the last two clay tournaments, Sharapova remained modest and said that she can't be called "The Queen of Clay" because of her winning streak.
"I haven't thought about myself as the Queen of Clay, but I certainly feel that I've improved a lot on this surface," Sharapova told Tennis.si.com. According to the Web site, Sharapova has only lost three matches on clay in the last three years.
"I really trained myself to become better because I had no choice but to try to get stronger, prepare better, recover better, and work on those things because they don't just come automatically," Sharapova added.
Sharapova revealed that she wasn't really feeling at easy playing on clay. "It just wasn't that much fun because I was tall and I never felt very comfortable on it." Sharapova said she enjoys winning on clay tournaments rather than playing on it.
Sharapova has just earned her 12th victory on clay court after beating Monica Puig in her first match in the most prestigious red clay tennis tournament in the world which is the Italian Open. Sharapova will face Ana Ivanovic in the next round.
Will Sharapova remain undefeated on clay?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People