Arsenal FC News: Gunners Midfielder Confronts United Great for Negative Comments
By Mark Wayne Eubank | May 15, 2014 4:42 PM EST
Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere cleared the air with Manchester United legend Paul Scholes after the latter opined that the 22-year-old has not grown as a player since he first burst onto the scene with the Gunners.
“I actually spoke to him after. We had quite a good chat. He is entitled to his opinion but I just wanted to know.” - Jack Wilshere on Paul Scholes
"It was a bit strange, out of the blue," Wilshere told Sky Sports.
"I remember watching it, he was having a go at Arsenal, and I was thinking 'Is he going to come for me?"
"I actually spoke to him after. We had quite a good chat. He is entitled to his opinion but I just wanted to know."
"If it had come from a rubbish player I could say 'what are you talking about?' But it came from Paul Scholes."
"So I wanted to get to the bottom of it. I spoke to him, he explained it a bit better and told me what he thought I should work on. For me he was the best English midfielder of all time."
The current England international somewhat shared the same view as Scholes did, but believes that he is on the right track to realising his full potential.
"Scholes was right in a certain way. When I first burst onto the scene there was all this noise and then I got injured."
"I have had bad luck with injuries but I can't keep saying I've been injured a lot. There comes a time when you stop being a kid and I think that's what he's referring to. 'He's young, he's got all this potential ' - you have to start putting that potential in."
"This season I have improved a lot, scored a few more than I have in the past and got a few more assists. That side of things, you can keep the ball and you can look good but it's those stats that matter. That's what I have to build on."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WWE SummerSlam Results & Highlights: Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena, Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton
- Australian BASE Jumper Killed in French Alps
- Splint-Free Rafael Nadal in Intense Practice for US Open Campaign
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- US, Canada Labour Activists ‘Block the Boat for Gaza’ Succeed in Blocking Docking of Israeli Ship in California Port
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Larger 5.5inch iPhone 6 Variant Will Roll Out in the Market as ‘iPhone 6L’
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff