Arsenal FC News: Gunners Midfielder Confronts United Great for Negative Comments
By Mark Wayne Eubank | May 15, 2014 4:42 PM EST
Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere cleared the air with Manchester United legend Paul Scholes after the latter opined that the 22-year-old has not grown as a player since he first burst onto the scene with the Gunners.
“I actually spoke to him after. We had quite a good chat. He is entitled to his opinion but I just wanted to know.” - Jack Wilshere on Paul Scholes
"It was a bit strange, out of the blue," Wilshere told Sky Sports.
"I remember watching it, he was having a go at Arsenal, and I was thinking 'Is he going to come for me?"
"I actually spoke to him after. We had quite a good chat. He is entitled to his opinion but I just wanted to know."
"If it had come from a rubbish player I could say 'what are you talking about?' But it came from Paul Scholes."
"So I wanted to get to the bottom of it. I spoke to him, he explained it a bit better and told me what he thought I should work on. For me he was the best English midfielder of all time."
The current England international somewhat shared the same view as Scholes did, but believes that he is on the right track to realising his full potential.
"Scholes was right in a certain way. When I first burst onto the scene there was all this noise and then I got injured."
"I have had bad luck with injuries but I can't keep saying I've been injured a lot. There comes a time when you stop being a kid and I think that's what he's referring to. 'He's young, he's got all this potential ' - you have to start putting that potential in."
"This season I have improved a lot, scored a few more than I have in the past and got a few more assists. That side of things, you can keep the ball and you can look good but it's those stats that matter. That's what I have to build on."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS