Arsenal FC News: Gunners Midfielder Confronts United Great for Negative Comments
By Mark Wayne Eubank | May 15, 2014 4:42 PM EST
Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere cleared the air with Manchester United legend Paul Scholes after the latter opined that the 22-year-old has not grown as a player since he first burst onto the scene with the Gunners.
“I actually spoke to him after. We had quite a good chat. He is entitled to his opinion but I just wanted to know.” - Jack Wilshere on Paul Scholes
"It was a bit strange, out of the blue," Wilshere told Sky Sports.
"I remember watching it, he was having a go at Arsenal, and I was thinking 'Is he going to come for me?"
"I actually spoke to him after. We had quite a good chat. He is entitled to his opinion but I just wanted to know."
"If it had come from a rubbish player I could say 'what are you talking about?' But it came from Paul Scholes."
"So I wanted to get to the bottom of it. I spoke to him, he explained it a bit better and told me what he thought I should work on. For me he was the best English midfielder of all time."
The current England international somewhat shared the same view as Scholes did, but believes that he is on the right track to realising his full potential.
"Scholes was right in a certain way. When I first burst onto the scene there was all this noise and then I got injured."
"I have had bad luck with injuries but I can't keep saying I've been injured a lot. There comes a time when you stop being a kid and I think that's what he's referring to. 'He's young, he's got all this potential ' - you have to start putting that potential in."
"This season I have improved a lot, scored a few more than I have in the past and got a few more assists. That side of things, you can keep the ball and you can look good but it's those stats that matter. That's what I have to build on."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales