iOS 8 to Offer HD Audio Support
By Naveena Joy | May 15, 2014 4:33 PM EST
Apple is all set for the WorldWide Developers Conference on June 2. Various publications reported the expected features of Apple's new product, iOS 8, having the split screen functionality to its tablet.
Apple is likely to buy Beats Electronics.
Japanese blog Mac Otakara's report suggested Apple will add high-definition audio support in iOS 8. It will also introduce its next generation in-ear headphones, along with a new Lightning connector for iPhones and iPads as suggested by MacRumors.
Currently, the iOS 7 Music app is unable to play a high quality 24-bit audio files that contain a sampling frequency beyond 48 kHz. While third-party apps such as Onkyo's HF Player and FLAC Player can play these audio files, users are still limited to onboard playback at a 16-bit rate.
Apple's upgraded Lightning cable will accommodate high-definition playback on Made For iPhone (MFi) audio accessories, although it isn't clear when the company would introduce the updated wire.
The report also hinted Apple will be introducing new in-ear headphones, which have not been refreshed since 2008. This news is interesting as Apple is set to acquire the headphone maker, Beats Electronics, and its music streaming service. Co-founders, Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre, of Beats Electronics will be acting as new senior advisors.
The screenshots of the software suggested it will feature a similar design and layout to iOS 7, including some major improvements to Siri and Maps. Along with a high-definition audio playback, the new mobile operating system is speculated to include a standalone iTunes Radio app, a Healthbook app for tracking multiple fitness and exercise-related parameters, a music search function.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Destiny': Apocalypse-Themed Sparrows, Pumpkin Head Weapons As Contents For Halloween
- Sony Xperia Z3, Xperia Z3 Compact Gets Certified For 23.0.1.A.1.43, Xperia Z3 Dual For 23.0.F.1.82
- 'World Of Warcraft' 6.0.3 Patch Hotfixes Update Including Hallow's End And The Latest Resolved Issues Regarding The 'WoW' User Interface, Classes, Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Gets A New Trailer And Hidden Demo Missions
- Check Out The ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection’ Ranking, New Anniversary Trailer And Level Walkthroughs
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists