iOS 8 to Offer HD Audio Support
By Naveena Joy | May 15, 2014 4:33 PM EST
Apple is all set for the WorldWide Developers Conference on June 2. Various publications reported the expected features of Apple's new product, iOS 8, having the split screen functionality to its tablet.
Apple is likely to buy Beats Electronics.
Japanese blog Mac Otakara's report suggested Apple will add high-definition audio support in iOS 8. It will also introduce its next generation in-ear headphones, along with a new Lightning connector for iPhones and iPads as suggested by MacRumors.
Currently, the iOS 7 Music app is unable to play a high quality 24-bit audio files that contain a sampling frequency beyond 48 kHz. While third-party apps such as Onkyo's HF Player and FLAC Player can play these audio files, users are still limited to onboard playback at a 16-bit rate.
Apple's upgraded Lightning cable will accommodate high-definition playback on Made For iPhone (MFi) audio accessories, although it isn't clear when the company would introduce the updated wire.
The report also hinted Apple will be introducing new in-ear headphones, which have not been refreshed since 2008. This news is interesting as Apple is set to acquire the headphone maker, Beats Electronics, and its music streaming service. Co-founders, Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre, of Beats Electronics will be acting as new senior advisors.
The screenshots of the software suggested it will feature a similar design and layout to iOS 7, including some major improvements to Siri and Maps. Along with a high-definition audio playback, the new mobile operating system is speculated to include a standalone iTunes Radio app, a Healthbook app for tracking multiple fitness and exercise-related parameters, a music search function.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Facebook To Charge Users Of $2.99 Monthly Fee On November 1; Best Free Alternatives For Facebook
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' What Players Can Expect Before November 18 Release Date
- 'World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Spoilers: 'WoD' In-Game Cinematics Revealed, Plus There's A Brewfest For The Horde And Alliance Players [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Microsoft Promises A Better ‘Minecraft,’ Game To Come to Windows Phone
- The Pirate Bay Operations: 21 Virtual Machines Are Used To Run The File-sharing Website
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?