On the Porn Set, Cult-Like Groups and Quitting Jobs - Behind Unplanned America
By Athena Yenko | May 15, 2014 3:53 PM EST
Speaking with Paul Kalina of The Sydney Morning Herald, SBS's Unplanned America trio Tim ''Gonzo'' Ryan, Nick Maher and Pawel ''Parv'' Jarecki shared their experience of filming some bizarre culture of America.
The group shared that they gained access to America's cult-like group because they were not judgemental about the underground culture. They approach the group with an open mind which gained them trust and willingness for members to lighten up.
"I think it was beneficial that we were such a small group. Had we said we're MTV and we want to do this it might have come with a certain perception of what we're trying to do. I think because of that people welcomed us into their world a lot more," one of the trio said.
Their most interesting filming was that of the Insane Clown Posse and their fans Juggalos. It was such a surprise that they were able to penetrate the group.
"We just rang the record company and were very open. I think it again goes back to maybe because their spirit is quite independent and they saw us as a non-threatening way to tell their story. Even on the porn set we thought it would be hard to get access. Maybe it's America where they're all so open and want their 15 minutes of fame. Also, it's easier to get a hold of anyone through Facebook. We were honest with what we were trying to do. We didn't want to exploit anyone."
However, the trio shared that not everyone was easy on them. At one point during filming Juggalos, one guy told them to piss off. But they remained unshaken and continue showing everyone respect while filming.
"Because we didn't shove the camera in people's faces, we'd seek permission before filming, people warmed to us. On the porn set one actress was stand-offish and you could tell she was wary of whether we were taking the piss, but that was an exception to the rule," they shared.
The trio all quit their jobs and without sure plans they head to the land of the free, riding a '99 Camry with 300,000 kilometres.
For six months they traveled America's 35 states and bizarre culture only armed with the cheapest GPS they could find and kindness of strangers along the way.
The result was something out of their comfort zone as they discover worlds they did not know exist.
"...if you're sick of your job, don't wait for someone to come along and make a change for you. Be bold, take a risk and have a bloody good time doing it," Tim Ryan wrote.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
- British Cleric Accused of Urging James Foley Executioner; Predicted ISIS Will Fight in the West
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko