China Panda Dogs: 'New Trend' For Dog Owners - Unnatural And Unhealthy? [VIDEO]
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | May 15, 2014 2:56 PM EST
A new trend in dyeing pet dogs to look like pandas has begun in China. Hsin Ch'en, a pet shop owner, and other pet stores are selling "Panda dogs." The colored canines are getting a high demand in the country and the stores can't satisfy all the customers.
Pugs await the start of the Oregon Humane Society Doggie Dash event, an attempt to break the world record for most costumed dogs at one event in Portland, Oregon May 10, 2014.
Ch'en, who owns a store in southwest China's Sichuan Province, said the black and white-dyed chow chows are the new favorites in town. He added he has already perfected the technique of dyeing the chows to look like pandas. He noted the dyeing and grooming process only need to be handled carefully. In two hours, they can turn a chow into a panda dog.
Ch'en claimed, "There are no chemicals or cruelty involved. But the price of the dog does rise significantly because of the amount of grooming that goes into it. People don't mind paying the extra though - they like the fact that heads turn in the street and they can tell their friends: 'I have a panda dog'," as reported by The Mirror.
Ch'en and more shops in China that sell panda dogs didn't disclose the exact chemicals or technique they use in dyeing chow chows. This emerging new trend in China was met with concerns by pet owners online. Some pet owners and animal activists sound off that cruelty is done to the panda dogs.
Toxic chemicals in the dye can pose health and safety issues to the dogs. Dyeing any animal's hair or fur is considered wrong for many reasons. Hair dye is only meant for human use, and there are no hair dyes specifically made for dogs yet.
"Officially, there are no completely safe dyes for animals, period, as there have been no studies to show if there are any long terms effects. Since there are people that have reported health problems using hair dye, it is only natural that a dog may have some of the same reactions," reported Cesar's Way, Cesar Millan's official Web site.
The process of hair dyeing for dogs is entirely different compared to humans. Dogs must have its whole body covered in dye unlike humans who dye their heads. The dye can enter the dog's eyes, mouth and ears. Also, since the dogs' whole body gets covered with dye, it might cause irritation in the whole body.
"Pets do not understand why they are being subjected to this type of treatment, nor do they like it, because it is unnatural for them. The dog has no control over how it looks and it cannot do anything about it," the CW report added.
Specialists and veterinarians do not recommend hair-dyeing dogs because it will be physically and psychologically harmful to the pets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Declares Nigeria Ebola-Free, Urges Other Nations To Replicate Success Story
- Family Of Ebola Nurse Patient Hires Lawyer To Clear Things Up, Refutes CDC Claims; Agency Revises Guidelines
- Ebola Czar In US To Work On Bringing Down Anxiety Levels About The Epidemic : Nigeria Cheers As It Becomes Ebola Free
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop