'Supernatural' Season 9, Episode 22 'Stairway to Heaven' Recap/Spoilers: Castiel Loses His Army of Angels, Gadreel Wants to Join Team Free Will in Taking Down Metatron
By Jenalyn Villamarin | May 15, 2014 2:21 PM EST
The penultimate episode for "Supernatural" Season 9 reunited Team Free Will after angels started to show up at places and stab themselves declaring that they are doing it for Castiel (Misha Collins). Metatron (Curtis Armstrong) is working on his plan as well with second-in-command Gadreel (Tahmoh Penikett) to win the ongoing war between the angels.
Spoiler alert: This feature contains major spoilers on "Supernatural" Season 9, Episode 22 titled "Stairway to Heaven." Castiel called Dean Winchester (Jensen Ackles) for help in investigating the murders that happened at an ice cream parlor in Missouri when an angel showed up to stab himself to death and declare that he is doing it for Castiel.
Before heading to Missouri, Sam (Jared Padalecki) told his brother that he should just leave the "First Blade" weapon and use it on the big fight with their enemies namely Crowley (Mark Sheppard) and Metatron. Sam, Dean and Castiel's investigation at the ice cream parlor confirmed that it was an angel attack and Cas is confused about the angels sacrificing themselves for him.
Castiel assured the Winchesters he never gave such orders so Team Free Will goes on another investigation. Castiel and Sam tracked down a missing angel named Josiah while Dean interrogated the suicidal angel's friend. Dean found out that there will be two more attacks and one will be conducted by Tessa the Reaper (Lindsey McKeon).
Dean managed to track down Tessa and stopped the Reaper from killing more angels and humans. During the interrogation, Tessa revealed that she is willing to sacrifice herself because she can no longer stand the screams of the lost souls.
Tessa further added that there are more like her out there. When Dean asked for names, Tessa refused to give them and it made Dean take out the First Blade.
Before Dean could act, Tessa thanked the hunter first then moved towards the weapon to kill herself. Angels walked in the room and thought Dean attacked and killed Tessa.
The other suicidal angel named Constantine showed up at the bowling alley where Metatron was having a meeting with Tyler, the leader of an angel faction while Sam and Cas found the portal to Heaven. However, the note left behind that it was only a set up and Josiah died there refusing to side with Castiel.
Castiel and Sam returned to the angels' headquarters to find Dean in trouble with the angels and Metatron leaving a message through a phone call. Metatron told Castiel that his angel attack did not succeed because he is still alive.
Then, Metatron offered amnesty to the fallen angels where they can return to Heaven if they follow him as the new God. In order to convince the angels, Metatron told them that Castiel has been lying about his stolen grace and he only cares about himself.
Hannah wanted to prove that Castiel is still on their side but Castiel could not lay a finger on Dean for what happened to Tessa. With that, Castiel lost his army of angels in his battle with Metatron. Dean assured Castiel that the three of them can take down Metatron.
Meanwhile, Metatron revealed to Gadreel that he purposely recruited angels to do the attacks as his move against Castiel in their battle. Gadreel was not pleased with Metatron's doings so he headed to the Men of Letters bunker to join the Team Free Will in taking down Metatron.
Sam and Dean do not trust Gadreel after his angelic possession stunt on Sam and betrayal to Dean. Gadreel asked for a chance to prove himself worthy of their trust and Dean agreed by offering a handshake.
However, Dean deceived Gadreel this time as he pulled out the "First Blade" and slash the angel across the chest. The "Mark of Cain" is once again having a violent effect on Dean so Sam and Castiel held him back before he could kill Gadreel, the one who could tell them where to find Metatron.
"Supernatural" Season 9 wraps up with Episode 23 titled "Do You Believe in Miracles" on Tuesday night, May 20, at 9 pm ET on the CW Network.
More Articles to Read:
'Supernatural' Season 9 Spoilers: Actress Lindsey McKeon Talks about Tessa the Reaper's Return in Episode 22 Titled 'Stairway to Heaven' - [READ]
'Supernatural' Season 9 Spoilers: Fun is Just Getting Started for Dean Winchester, Watch Promo Videos for Episode 22 Titled 'Stairway to Heaven' - [READ]
'Supernatural' Season 9, Episode 21 'King of the Damned' Recap/Spoilers: Dean Accomplishes Mission with the Mark of Cain and the First Blade, Goodbye Abaddon - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage