Inspiring Cancer Patient Stephen Sutton Dies; Social Media Says Goodbye
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | May 15, 2014 2:19 PM EST
Stephen Sutton has remained strong and positive throughout his battle with cancer for the last three years, but dying turns out inevitable for the young fundraiser who has raised more than £3 million for Teenage Cancer Trust.
The 19-year-old teen from Birmingham died "peacefully in his sleep" on Wednesday morning, May 14. His mother took it to Facebook to inform all supporters that Stephen Sutton passed away.
"My heart is bursting with pride but breaking with pain for my courageous, selfless, inspirational son who passed away peacefully in his sleep in the early hours of this morning, Wednesday 14th May," Sutton's mother shared on Facebook.
Sutton's mother also pointed out the unending support and love for his son, saying that it helped his son throughout his journey and that it will also help Stephen Sutton's family during this difficult time.
The young fundraiser appears to have never given up. His last days were spent not venting out his anger or lashing out at people for the unfortunate disease that has been eating him up. Instead, Stephen Sutton's last post on social media, documenting his coming back to the hospital due to difficulty in breathing, was dated May 11, and it has been nothing but inspiring due to the positivity that he has been imposing.
"Fingers crossed the issue will be resolved and that I'll be out of hospital soon, I'll keep you all updated with how I'm getting on," Stephen Sutton wrote on his Facebook account.
Despite the terminal cancer, Sutton has been all out in doing things, attending events and interviews, telling people that he's been doing well. And as proof to Sutton's positivity, he created a bucket list with 46 things he wanted to do. However, what occupied him the most was the number 1 on his list, which was originally to raise £10,000 for Teenage Cancer Trust, which provides expert care and support to young people with cancer. But with Stephen Sutton's belief in people, he upped it to £1 million.
However, the fundraising for cancer research has exceeded target as people around the world donated money and made the donations reach up to more than £3 million.
People who are interested to donate can visit Stephen's Fundraising Page.
Various reports point at Stephen Sutton as a local hero in Birmingham as his story continues to inspire many people from all over the world, including celebrities. Here is a collection of some of the posts on Twitter as social media continues to pay tribute and says goodbye to the young hero and inspiring 19-year-old fundraiser:
So very sad to hear that Stephen Sutton has passed away. He was a very brave person and an inspiration to millions. Rest in peace.
— Simon Cowell (@SimonCowell) May 14, 2014
So sad to hear of the passing of Stephen Sutton this morning. A truly inspirational guy with a heart of gold. #RIPStephenSutton — Nicholas McDonald (@nickymcdonald1) May 14, 2014
Only just read the story of Stephen Sutton never read anything about someone so brave with such selfless commitment. RIP. — James Jakes (@jamesjacques4) May 15, 2014
Saddened by the news that Stephen Sutton passed away this morning. A true hero. And a true inspiration. https://t.co/J5cPpvEzd5
— Myles Dyer (@MylesDyer) May 14, 2014
Sad to hear of Stephen Sutton passing. What an incredible young man, a true hero. Thank you, Stephen. Inspirational. — Geezer Butler (@GZRMusic) May 15, 2014
It's people like Stephen Sutton who remind us life is such a fragile, precious gift & not to be wasted. Embrace yourself & cherish each day. — Francesca Martinez (@chessmartinez) May 14, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet