Miami Heat End Brooklyn Nets Season with Comeback Victory in Game 5
By James Patrick Quizon | May 15, 2014 12:49 PM EST
LeBron James ended the Brooklyn Nets' season while Ray Allen potentially ended Kevin Garnett's and Paul Pierce's NBA careers in the Western Conference Semifinals as the Miami Heat pulled off the comeback 96-to-94 victory over the Nets in Game 5 to clinch the best-of-seven series.
LeBron James had 29 points and Dwyane Wade had 28 points but it was the sharp-shooter Allen who yet again saved the Heat in this game. The 38-year-old veteran scored 13 markers off the bench and none more important than the 3-pointer that gave them a 93-to-91 lead with 32 seconds to go in the game.
He would add two more from the freethrow line 11 seconds later for a 95-to-91 advantage but Joe Johnson hit his own from behind the arc to put Brooklyn within one possession. James missed one of two freethrows in the ensuing Miami possession and the Nets had a chance to steal this one on the road.
However, Brooklyn couldn’t take advantage and couldn’t even attempt a shot twice facing tough defense from James and the Heat.
James added 9 rebounds and 5 assists for yet another good all-around game. He finished 15-of-17 from the line. Wade made 10-of-18 shots for arguably his best game in this postseason. Chris Bosh added 17 points in 39 minutes.
The Nets were led by Johnson's 34 points (15-23 FG, 3-6 3FG) and 7 rebounds. Paul Pierce had 19 points while Deron Williams had 17.
Miami faces either Indiana or Washington in the conference finals with the Pacers enjoying a 3-2 series advantage. They meet in Game 6 on Thursday when Indiana has a chance to close out the young Wizards.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3