Miami Heat End Brooklyn Nets Season with Comeback Victory in Game 5
By James Patrick Quizon | May 15, 2014 12:49 PM EST
LeBron James ended the Brooklyn Nets' season while Ray Allen potentially ended Kevin Garnett's and Paul Pierce's NBA careers in the Western Conference Semifinals as the Miami Heat pulled off the comeback 96-to-94 victory over the Nets in Game 5 to clinch the best-of-seven series.
LeBron James had 29 points and Dwyane Wade had 28 points but it was the sharp-shooter Allen who yet again saved the Heat in this game. The 38-year-old veteran scored 13 markers off the bench and none more important than the 3-pointer that gave them a 93-to-91 lead with 32 seconds to go in the game.
He would add two more from the freethrow line 11 seconds later for a 95-to-91 advantage but Joe Johnson hit his own from behind the arc to put Brooklyn within one possession. James missed one of two freethrows in the ensuing Miami possession and the Nets had a chance to steal this one on the road.
However, Brooklyn couldn’t take advantage and couldn’t even attempt a shot twice facing tough defense from James and the Heat.
James added 9 rebounds and 5 assists for yet another good all-around game. He finished 15-of-17 from the line. Wade made 10-of-18 shots for arguably his best game in this postseason. Chris Bosh added 17 points in 39 minutes.
The Nets were led by Johnson's 34 points (15-23 FG, 3-6 3FG) and 7 rebounds. Paul Pierce had 19 points while Deron Williams had 17.
Miami faces either Indiana or Washington in the conference finals with the Pacers enjoying a 3-2 series advantage. They meet in Game 6 on Thursday when Indiana has a chance to close out the young Wizards.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales