Cristiano Ronaldo Leads Portugal Squad to the World Cup Despite Injury Trouble
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 15, 2014 12:00 PM EST
2013 FIFA World Player of the Year Cristiano Ronaldo has been called up to lead Portugal in their campaign for the 2014 FIFA World Cup Finals. The 30-man provisional squad has been released ahead of the team's training sessions.
The Real Madrid Superstar's fitness was in doubt after picking up a series of injuries. Ronaldo was rested ahead of his club's semi-final against Bayern Munich and then was stretchered off during a La Liga match against Valladolid on May 7. He has since been left out of the La Liga match presumably in preparation for the Champions League final on May 24.
Cristiano, having won the Ballon d'Or and who has been in great form as of late was always an obvious choice to be selected but Portugal Team Manager Paulo Bento will now have to cross his fingers that his star player will be in top shape in time for Brazil.
Joining Ronaldo are Real Madrid teammates Fabio Coentrao and Pepe,
Bento also included the Porto winger Ricardo Quaresma in his provisional squad. The 30-year-old former Barcelona player rejoined Porto in January after six months out of the game following his departure from Dubai's Al-Ahli last year.
Manchester United wideman, Nani and former Liverpool and Chelsea man Raul Meireles, currently playing for Fenerbahce, have also been selected.
With the best player in the world leading the team, the question remains as to whether the team backing him up can pull through for him It can be remembered that Portugal almost didn't qualify for the finals in Brazil and had to win in a do-or-die match against Sweden before securing their spot.
Provisional 30-man squad:
Goalkeepers: Anthony Lopes (Olympique Lyon), Beto (Sevilla), Eduardo (Braga), Rui Patrício (Sporting)
Defenders: Andre Almeida (Benfica), Antunes (Malaga), Bruno Alves (Fenerbahce), Fabio Coentreo (Real Madrid), Joao Pereira (Valencia), Neto (Zenit St Petersburg), Pepe (Real Madrid), Ricardo Costa (Valencia), Rolando (Inter Milan)
Midfielders: Andre Gomes (Benfica), Joao Mario (Vitoria Setubal), Joao Moutinho (Monaco), Miguel Veloso (Dynamo Kiev), Raul Meireles (Fenerbahce), Ruben Amorim (Benfica), William Carvalho (Sporting)
Forwards: Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Eder (Braga), Helder Postiga (Lazio), Hugo Almeida (Besiktas), Ivan Cavaleiro (Benfica), Nani (Manchester United), Rafa (Braga), Ricardo Quaresma (Porto), Varela (Porto), Vieirinha (VfL Wolfsburg)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal