Before Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire Comes, GameSpy Shutdown Affects Nintendo Wi-Fi and Pokemon Games
By Gel Galang | May 15, 2014 11:31 AM EST
Fans are undoubtedly awaiting more news and information about the newest installment to come for the Pokemon games, titled "Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire." The last bit of information came from Serebii, wherein more content may be revealed with the next issue of the Japanese magazine CoroCoro.
However, the rest of the old Pokemon games may not be doing so well in terms of their online component, as a rather long list of these games will be affected by the GameSpy shutdown.
Come May 20, fans will say goodbye to the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, which hold all the online features for DS and Wii titles. According to Serebii, the online features of some Pokemon games will become inaccessible, and to ensure that fans are up-to-date with which feature will survive the shutdown, there is a neat table that lists down the titles and specific features that will be affected.
So far, all wireless and local features on the DS games will be unaffected, and those who are worried about their 3DS Pokemon titles as well as the Pokemon Bank should breathe a sigh of relief, as those will remain unaffected as well.
Quick Roundup of Affected "Pokemon" Games
So far, some of the online features that will be hit include the Pokeon Wi-Fi Club, online battles and online trade for the "Pokemon Diamond/Pearl," the "Pokemon Platinum," the "Pokemon HeartGold/Soulsilver," the "Pokemon Black/White" and the Pokemon Black 2/White 2."
According to Nintendo World Report, the GameSpy shutdown also includes the in-game services for the Wii and the DS including the online multiplayer and unlocking of content using the Internet, as announced via the Japanese web site.
This will be the end of a 10-year service, since the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection has been powered by Gamespy all these years. Nintendo of America has also confirmed that functions for North America that will be affected include online play, matchmaking and leaderboards for the Wii, Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi games.
"Online play for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games will be unaffected (aside from the Wii mode on Wii U and Nintendo DS games on Nintendo 3DS family systems. Other online functionality, such as the access to the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, are also note affected at this time," said Nintendo via the official web site.
Over at the Nintendo of Australia's official web site, there is also a list of unaffected services, which include the Internet Channel, the Nintendo DS Browser, the Nintendo DSi Browser, the Nintendo DSi Shop, the Nintendo Wi-Fi Pay & Play, the Wii Shop Channel, and YouTube.
Beyond the Pokemon games, there are also a number of Nintendo titles with multiplayer and online functions that will no longer work. But focusing on Pokemon games, here is the complete list of titles that will be affected:
- Pokemon Black
- Pokemon Black 2
- Pokemon Conquest
- Pokemon Diamond
- Pokemon HeartGold
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time
- Pokemon Pearl
- Pokemon Platinum
- Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs
- Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
- Pokemon SoulSilver
- Pokemon White
- Pokemon White 2
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- GTA V Online: Money-Glitch Ban Goes After Cheaters as a New Zombie DLC Leak is Spotted
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet 17.1.2.A.0.314 Firmware Update to Improve Touch Screen and Charging Speed
- Nokia Lumia 630 vs. Sony Xperia M Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Sony Xperia T3 vs. HTC Desire 816 Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- OnePlus One vs. iPhone 5S Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools