Before Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire Comes, GameSpy Shutdown Affects Nintendo Wi-Fi and Pokemon Games
By Gel Galang | May 15, 2014 11:31 AM EST
Fans are undoubtedly awaiting more news and information about the newest installment to come for the Pokemon games, titled "Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire." The last bit of information came from Serebii, wherein more content may be revealed with the next issue of the Japanese magazine CoroCoro.
However, the rest of the old Pokemon games may not be doing so well in terms of their online component, as a rather long list of these games will be affected by the GameSpy shutdown.
Come May 20, fans will say goodbye to the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, which hold all the online features for DS and Wii titles. According to Serebii, the online features of some Pokemon games will become inaccessible, and to ensure that fans are up-to-date with which feature will survive the shutdown, there is a neat table that lists down the titles and specific features that will be affected.
So far, all wireless and local features on the DS games will be unaffected, and those who are worried about their 3DS Pokemon titles as well as the Pokemon Bank should breathe a sigh of relief, as those will remain unaffected as well.
Quick Roundup of Affected "Pokemon" Games
So far, some of the online features that will be hit include the Pokeon Wi-Fi Club, online battles and online trade for the "Pokemon Diamond/Pearl," the "Pokemon Platinum," the "Pokemon HeartGold/Soulsilver," the "Pokemon Black/White" and the Pokemon Black 2/White 2."
According to Nintendo World Report, the GameSpy shutdown also includes the in-game services for the Wii and the DS including the online multiplayer and unlocking of content using the Internet, as announced via the Japanese web site.
This will be the end of a 10-year service, since the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection has been powered by Gamespy all these years. Nintendo of America has also confirmed that functions for North America that will be affected include online play, matchmaking and leaderboards for the Wii, Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi games.
"Online play for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games will be unaffected (aside from the Wii mode on Wii U and Nintendo DS games on Nintendo 3DS family systems. Other online functionality, such as the access to the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, are also note affected at this time," said Nintendo via the official web site.
Over at the Nintendo of Australia's official web site, there is also a list of unaffected services, which include the Internet Channel, the Nintendo DS Browser, the Nintendo DSi Browser, the Nintendo DSi Shop, the Nintendo Wi-Fi Pay & Play, the Wii Shop Channel, and YouTube.
Beyond the Pokemon games, there are also a number of Nintendo titles with multiplayer and online functions that will no longer work. But focusing on Pokemon games, here is the complete list of titles that will be affected:
- Pokemon Black
- Pokemon Black 2
- Pokemon Conquest
- Pokemon Diamond
- Pokemon HeartGold
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time
- Pokemon Pearl
- Pokemon Platinum
- Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs
- Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
- Pokemon SoulSilver
- Pokemon White
- Pokemon White 2
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Hits Battle Frontier Plus New Discoveries
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Essential Tips For Nexus 6: Camera And Entertainment, Notifications And Privacy, Battery
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' Starter Tips And Tricks: Character Creation, Combat Modes, Party, Looting, War Table
- 'World Of Warcraft' 6.0.3 Patch Hotfixes Update Including Classes, Quests, Items, 'PvP,' Dungeons, Creatures, 'NPCs' And Bug Fixes
- Vodafone Australia Software Update Weekly Wrap For Nov. 20: Blackberry, HTC, Huawei, Samsung And Sony
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports