Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3 Neo Android 4.4.2 Guide
By Precious Silva | May 15, 2014 10:14 AM EST
Samsung has remained tight-lipped about updating its older Galaxy devices with Android 4.4.2 KitKat. Amidst the leaks and predictions, a new Samsung document spotted reveals which devices are in line for the update. The list has been making rounds about the internet suggesting that the roll out could be any time soon.
Google's Android 4.3 operating system, is displayed during a Google event at Dogpatch Studio in San Francisco, California, in this July 24, 2013 file photo. A U.S. appeals court on December 4, 2013 closely questioned Google's claim that Oracle does not enjoy copyright protection over certain parts of the Java programming language. Oracle sued Google in 2010, claiming that Google had improperly incorporated parts of Oracle's Java programming language into the Android operating system. REUTERS/Beck Diefenbach/Files
The leaked document came from a report by SamMobile. According to the website, the document came from a tipster assuring its legitimacy. The document details seven handsets except three LTE variants. As with the leak, the Samsung Galaxy Note II started receiving the update in April. Some users reported receiving the firmware already whereas the rest should expect it soon. The update has also started rolling out in India at the start of May.
The Android 4.4.2 KitKat update offers Galaxy Note II users several improved features. These include full screen album art, transparent status bar, lock screen camera shortcut, NFC tap-to-pay support, wireless printing functionality, launcher apps and to set default messages. The Android 4.4.2 KitKat update offers an overall improved experience for the phablet including better speed and response time. Other devices listed in the document include:
- Samsung Galaxy S III
- Samsung Galaxy S III LTE
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini LTE
- Galaxy Grand 2
- Galaxy Mega 5.8
- Galaxy Mega 6.3
Most of these devices are scheduled for a June update. However, the Galaxy Note 3 Neo will receive the update this May. The Galaxy S III international model or GT-I9300 will not receive the update because of unsolved problems.
The Samsung Galaxy SIII device was released in May 2012. Considering Google's policy on updates, the device is beyond 18 months old. It does not qualify for the update anymore. Aside from the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update, there have been reports about the Android 4.4.3 update. The firmware will provide bug fixes to solve previous issues from other updates. If the update will not be released this May, people should expect more details during the Google I/O Conference this June.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast