'American Idol' 2014 Top 3 Review: Jena Irene, Caleb Johnson, Alex Preston in Their 'Best' Clips; Bettors Favour the Wildcard and Only Girl [VIDEOS]
By Arlene Paredes | May 15, 2014 6:01 AM EST
"American Idol" 2014 aka AI Season 13 Top 3 sings three songs live on FOX on May 14. Some gamblers are betting Jena Irene Asciutto, 17, will win this year's Idol title in a weeks' time. Jena, Caleb Johnson and Alex Preston have all drawn very positive comments from the judges. Some of their YouTube videos are public favourites. Bets are on, as this week's round paves the way to the big finale.
Singers and judges Keith Urban (L), Jennifer Lopez and Harry Connick, Jr. pose at the party for the finalists of "American Idol XIII" in West Hollywood, California February 20, 2014.
American Idol 2014 judges Jennifer Lopez, Keith Urban, and Harry Connick, Jr "are all likely to come back" for AI Season 14, Deadline reported. The report, however, mentions the reality-based singing competition might have less airtime on FOX.
The judges are expected to focus on the Top 3 in their final two weeks on American Idol 2014. There has been enough screentime on the judges' antics and mischief. It is time for America and the voters to know more about Jena Irene, Caleb Johnson, and Alex Preston.
The Web site AmericanIdolBettingOdds.com sees the odds are in favour of Jena Irene. This wildcard contestant was in the Bottom 3 on the American Idol 2014 Top 12 Week. The following week, Jena impressed the judges with "Decode" by Paramore, and she was unstoppable since.
Caleb Johnson, 24, has never been in the Bottom 2 or 3. The same goes for Alex Preston, 21. They are very different in their musical comfort zone, which makes it hard to predict who has greater edge over the other.
Caleb is like American Idol Season 7 champion David Cook. The former champ himself noted that he saw bits of himself in this year's rocker. Alex is a little bit like Phillip Phillips, the AI Season 11 champion. Incidentally, they both covered "Volcano" by Damien Rice and both of them did very well.
Jena Irene's edge over the two guys in the AI Season 13 Top 3 is the fact that she is the only girl left standing. Voters who tend to back the Idol girl will not be split. In addition, she is the only teenager among them. She may be the most relatable to the younger voters this year.
Jena Irene and Caleb Johnson are both good in the pop rock genre. Caleb is the bigger rock star, though. Alex Preston is excellent in acoustics and blues. However, when Jena sits at the piano to shred some slower melodies, it sounds like she has the American Idol 2014 title in the bag.
Barring missteps and other unusual circumstances, it seems Jena Irene will be safe this week. Alex Preston has to show some character and grit if he would really like to sing-off with Jena on the May 20 American Idol 2014 season finale.
Caleb Johnson is the first rock singer -- who deliberately avoided flavours of ballads as much as possible -- and made it this far in the Idol competition. He has a very good chance at making it to the Final 2 of American Idol Season 13.
Below are three of the best numbers seen on American Idol Season 13. Who is your favourite AI contestant this year? Let us know in the comments section below.
WATCH: Caleb Johnson Sings 'Maybe I'm Amazed' by Paul McCartney
WATCH: Jena Irene Sings 'Creep' by Radiohead
WATCH: Alex Preston Sings 'Say Something' by A Great Big World
The American Idol 2014 Ultimate Sing-Off, aka the AI Season 13 finale, airs on May 20 (Part 1) and May 21 (Part 2) live on FOX.
More TV Guide and Spoiler Features
'American Idol' 2014 Spoilers: AI Season 13 'Finals Week 12 - Top 3 Finalists Sing 3 Songs' [READ]
'American Idol' 2014 Top 4 Results, Review: Wildcard 'Jena' Irene in Top 3? Caleb Johnson or Jess Meuse Going Home in Predictions [Watch Videos]
'Arrow' Season 2 Finale, Episode 23 Spoilers: Oliver Queen, Black Canary in Finale Questions; Enemies Become Allies in 'Unthinkable' [Watch Promo Video]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date