NBA Playoffs Prediction, Betting Odds and Trends: Heat, Spurs to Finish Off Nets, Blazers in Game 5
By James Patrick Quizon | May 15, 2014 12:47 AM EST
Both the Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs were favored to win their respective series against the Brooklyn Nets and Portland Trail Blazers. With 3-1 series leads, they have delivered the goods so far and have a chance to close out the best-of-seven affairs Wednesday night (Thursday morning Australia).
Betting Lines: Brooklyn Nets (+7) vs. Miami Heat (O/U: 188.5)
Game time: 9:00 am AEDT
LeBron James destroyed the Nets (and ate Paul Pierce’s soul) in the last game dropping 49 points on a very, very efficient 16-of-24 field goal shooting for the Heat. Thanks to the 2014 Playoffs LeExplosion (James matched his postseason career-high) and a Chris Bosh (12 points, 5 rebounds and 3 blocked shots) three-pointer late in the game, the Heat pulled off the 102-96 victory in Game 4.
The Nets, in addition to allowing LeBron to embarrass their defense, couldn’t find their offense late scoring just 2 points in the final 2:30 minutes of the game. Four starters did finish in double-figure scoring for the Nets led by Joe Johnson's 18 points and Paul Pierce's 16.
Betting Against the Spread (ATS)
Brooklyn Nets Trends
- The Nets are 18-8 ATS in their last 26 games after an ATS loss
- The Nets are 1-6 ATS in their last 7 games vs. Southeast division teams
- The Nets are 3-7 ATS in their last 10 games after a one-day rest
Miami Heat Trends
- The Heat are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games
- The Heat are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games after a win
- The Heat are 3-1 ATS in this series
Prediction: James will force Pierce to retire by halftime, Heat do just enough to get the win but Brooklyn covers the spread.
Betting Lines: Portland Trail Blazers (+8) vs. San Antonio Spurs (O/U: 209.5)
Game time: 11:30 am AEDT
The Blazers survive the series after a 103-92 win in Game 4. That victory however, appears to be just delaying the inevitable. The Spurs dominated the first three games with blowout wins of over 15 points in each.
Portland needed all of its weapons to fire in Game 4; Damian Lillard top-scored with 25 points, LaMarcus Aldridge had 19 points; Nicolas Batum had 14 points, 14 rebounds and 8 assists; and Robin Lopez had 9 points and 12 rebounds. To extend the series, the Blazers need to do it again on the road against the home team hungry to finish the series and get some early rest before the conference finals.
Portland Trail Blazers Trends
- The Trail Blazers are 1-7 ATS in their last 8 games
- The Trail Blazers are 1-6 ATS in their last 7 games after a one-day rest
- The Trail Blazers are 1-3 ATS in this series
San Antonio Spurs Trends
- The Spurs are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games
- The Spurs are 3-1 ATS in this series
- The Spurs are 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games after a loss
Prediction: Tony Parker scored just 14 points-- only 3 in the second half—in Game 4. Look for the French point guard to take over the scoring again and push the Spurs to the win plus the win against the spread.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related