'The Amazing Spider Man 2 'Deleted' Scenes, Fans Demand Director's Cut on DVD [Spoilers]
By Tanya Diente | May 14, 2014 10:16 PM EST
"The Amazing Spider-Man 2" was a hit worldwide despite it sadly ending with Gwen Stacy's (Emma Stone) death, similar to the comics.
Actors Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield pose for photographs at the world premiere of The Amazing Spiderman 2 in central London, April 10, 2014.
Contrary to its success, there were also criticisms after viewers saw the film. Some said the movie was quite "rushed" where key scene elements seemed to be missing to further enhance the story.
According to Business Insider, a lot of scenes were deleted from the movie. This could be one reason the movie, according to viewers, seemed to "lack in character development."
One scene deleted was Shailene Woodley's ("Divergent") cameo role as Mary Jane. Fans of the Spiderman have heard of Woodley's appearance in "The Amazing Spiderman 2," a year before it was even released. She was supposedly to appear in four scenes.
Screenrant reported people assumed it was because its director, Marc Webb, had given in to the complaints of fans that Woodley wasn't fit for the role. But Perez Hilton reported Woodley also acknowledged and accepted Webb's decision.
"I think it's smart that she's not in it because they're introducing so many characters and MJ is such a vital character that it makes sense to hold off for future movies to introduce her," Woodley said of her Mary Jane character.
Another deleted scene was in the anticipated end-credits. According to Geektyrant, the end-credits were originally supposed to show Norman Osborn's (Chris Cooper) head cryogenically frozen in a jar for future rebirth (photo). Instead, moviegoers were surprised to see a promo of "X-Men: Days of Future Past." This created a lot of confusion for viewers, especially followers of the Spiderman comics, since "X-Men" is in no way related to "Spiderman." As it turned out, Sony had a deal with Fox to show the promo (more details here).
The deleted scenes led fans to start a petition at Change.org demanding Sony to release Webb's director's cut of "The Amazing Spider-Man" on DVD and Blu-ray. This petition also listed a few scenes rumored to have been deleted to shrink the movie to its 142-minute theatrical running length. Below were some of the cited lists found at Change.org
- An attack on Oscorp by the Green Goblin (Henry Osborn)
- Extended Times Square and Clocktower scenes
- A scene with Max (Electro) and his mother
These scenes, among others, were reportedly hinted by Marc Webb during interviews.
In line with the petition, Denofgeek reported Sony had confirmed the disc release of "The Amazing Spider-Man 2." The new film will be released on disk from September 1 with a digital version available starting August 18.
Over 90-minutes of features were included but are confined to Blu-ray editions only. Among these features include the deleted scenes, (there's no mention which scenes), behind the scenes documentary, filmmaker commentary, music video, and Dane DeHaan's screen test.
The DVD version will feature the commentary track, deleted scenes and the music video. The deleted scenes will now be revealed and hopefully will shed more light on the reported "lack of character development" of "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" movie.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 22, 2014: Liam’s Confession About Paris To Hope And Deacon’s Revelation To Brooke In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 21, 2014: A Party For Hope And Wyatt Affects Liam’s Pride In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Chuck Zito Apologises For Offensive Comment On Christy Mack Beating
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1 Teaser Video: ‘What’s Coming Next’
- ‘True Blood’ Final Episode Thank You: Watch Sookie Ask Whether God Made Us All, Find Out Why 'True Blood' Is Ending [VIDEO]
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch