'The Amazing Spider Man 2 'Deleted' Scenes, Fans Demand Director's Cut on DVD [Spoilers]
By Tanya Diente | May 14, 2014 10:16 PM EST
"The Amazing Spider-Man 2" was a hit worldwide despite it sadly ending with Gwen Stacy's (Emma Stone) death, similar to the comics.
Actors Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield pose for photographs at the world premiere of The Amazing Spiderman 2 in central London, April 10, 2014.
Contrary to its success, there were also criticisms after viewers saw the film. Some said the movie was quite "rushed" where key scene elements seemed to be missing to further enhance the story.
According to Business Insider, a lot of scenes were deleted from the movie. This could be one reason the movie, according to viewers, seemed to "lack in character development."
One scene deleted was Shailene Woodley's ("Divergent") cameo role as Mary Jane. Fans of the Spiderman have heard of Woodley's appearance in "The Amazing Spiderman 2," a year before it was even released. She was supposedly to appear in four scenes.
Screenrant reported people assumed it was because its director, Marc Webb, had given in to the complaints of fans that Woodley wasn't fit for the role. But Perez Hilton reported Woodley also acknowledged and accepted Webb's decision.
"I think it's smart that she's not in it because they're introducing so many characters and MJ is such a vital character that it makes sense to hold off for future movies to introduce her," Woodley said of her Mary Jane character.
Another deleted scene was in the anticipated end-credits. According to Geektyrant, the end-credits were originally supposed to show Norman Osborn's (Chris Cooper) head cryogenically frozen in a jar for future rebirth (photo). Instead, moviegoers were surprised to see a promo of "X-Men: Days of Future Past." This created a lot of confusion for viewers, especially followers of the Spiderman comics, since "X-Men" is in no way related to "Spiderman." As it turned out, Sony had a deal with Fox to show the promo (more details here).
The deleted scenes led fans to start a petition at Change.org demanding Sony to release Webb's director's cut of "The Amazing Spider-Man" on DVD and Blu-ray. This petition also listed a few scenes rumored to have been deleted to shrink the movie to its 142-minute theatrical running length. Below were some of the cited lists found at Change.org
- An attack on Oscorp by the Green Goblin (Henry Osborn)
- Extended Times Square and Clocktower scenes
- A scene with Max (Electro) and his mother
These scenes, among others, were reportedly hinted by Marc Webb during interviews.
In line with the petition, Denofgeek reported Sony had confirmed the disc release of "The Amazing Spider-Man 2." The new film will be released on disk from September 1 with a digital version available starting August 18.
Over 90-minutes of features were included but are confined to Blu-ray editions only. Among these features include the deleted scenes, (there's no mention which scenes), behind the scenes documentary, filmmaker commentary, music video, and Dane DeHaan's screen test.
The DVD version will feature the commentary track, deleted scenes and the music video. The deleted scenes will now be revealed and hopefully will shed more light on the reported "lack of character development" of "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" movie.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- Kanye West Abandons Kim Kardashian after 58 Days of Marriage – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales