'The Amazing Spider Man 2 'Deleted' Scenes, Fans Demand Director's Cut on DVD [Spoilers]
By Tanya Diente | May 14, 2014 10:16 PM EST
"The Amazing Spider-Man 2" was a hit worldwide despite it sadly ending with Gwen Stacy's (Emma Stone) death, similar to the comics.
Actors Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield pose for photographs at the world premiere of The Amazing Spiderman 2 in central London, April 10, 2014.
Contrary to its success, there were also criticisms after viewers saw the film. Some said the movie was quite "rushed" where key scene elements seemed to be missing to further enhance the story.
According to Business Insider, a lot of scenes were deleted from the movie. This could be one reason the movie, according to viewers, seemed to "lack in character development."
One scene deleted was Shailene Woodley's ("Divergent") cameo role as Mary Jane. Fans of the Spiderman have heard of Woodley's appearance in "The Amazing Spiderman 2," a year before it was even released. She was supposedly to appear in four scenes.
Screenrant reported people assumed it was because its director, Marc Webb, had given in to the complaints of fans that Woodley wasn't fit for the role. But Perez Hilton reported Woodley also acknowledged and accepted Webb's decision.
"I think it's smart that she's not in it because they're introducing so many characters and MJ is such a vital character that it makes sense to hold off for future movies to introduce her," Woodley said of her Mary Jane character.
Another deleted scene was in the anticipated end-credits. According to Geektyrant, the end-credits were originally supposed to show Norman Osborn's (Chris Cooper) head cryogenically frozen in a jar for future rebirth (photo). Instead, moviegoers were surprised to see a promo of "X-Men: Days of Future Past." This created a lot of confusion for viewers, especially followers of the Spiderman comics, since "X-Men" is in no way related to "Spiderman." As it turned out, Sony had a deal with Fox to show the promo (more details here).
The deleted scenes led fans to start a petition at Change.org demanding Sony to release Webb's director's cut of "The Amazing Spider-Man" on DVD and Blu-ray. This petition also listed a few scenes rumored to have been deleted to shrink the movie to its 142-minute theatrical running length. Below were some of the cited lists found at Change.org
- An attack on Oscorp by the Green Goblin (Henry Osborn)
- Extended Times Square and Clocktower scenes
- A scene with Max (Electro) and his mother
These scenes, among others, were reportedly hinted by Marc Webb during interviews.
In line with the petition, Denofgeek reported Sony had confirmed the disc release of "The Amazing Spider-Man 2." The new film will be released on disk from September 1 with a digital version available starting August 18.
Over 90-minutes of features were included but are confined to Blu-ray editions only. Among these features include the deleted scenes, (there's no mention which scenes), behind the scenes documentary, filmmaker commentary, music video, and Dane DeHaan's screen test.
The DVD version will feature the commentary track, deleted scenes and the music video. The deleted scenes will now be revealed and hopefully will shed more light on the reported "lack of character development" of "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" movie.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies