Boxing News: Pacquiao vs. Mayweather Bout Gaining 'Momentum,' Pacman May Consider Leaving Arum by End 2014
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 14, 2014 9:18 PM EST
The sought after Pacquiao-Mayweather Jr. fight has put the boxing fans to salivate while waiting the match to happen.
According to latest report, the Filipino boxer is backing out from his latest contract extension with Top Rank for him to become a free agent at the end of 2014 and apparently come up with an arrangement to take on boxing's top pound-for-pound fighter next year.
Apr 12, 2014; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Manny Pacquiao celebrates his victory over Timothy Bradley (not pictured) after their WBO World Welterweight Title bout at MGM Grand Garden Arena. Pacquiao won via unanimous decision. Mandatory Credit: Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports
In a report posted on the Boxing Observer, the 35-year-old Pacquiao is seriously considering the idea of parting ways with his long-time promoter Bob Arum as he sets his sight on meeting Mayweather Jr. next year.
"Several credible sources are reporting that the record-breaking welterweight (56(38)-5-2) is willing to break ties with long-term promoter Bob Arum to make a megafight with current pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather," Boxing Observer reported.
Pacquiao's Adviser Michael Koncz did not deny or confirm report of Pacman's potential exit from Top Rank's stable, but he stressed they are exploring all available options in the coming months.
"Bob has been good to us and we have nothing negative to say about Top Rank but we have to decide what's best for Manny at this stage of his career," Koncz said in an interview with Ring Magazine.
"If we don't' extend our contract with Top Rank, we may go out on our own and promote ourselves.
Mayweather repeatedly pointed out in his past interviews that the only way Pacquiao could fight him is to leave Bob Arum, who ironically promoted the five-division world champion during his prime.
Koncz didn't even rule the chance of hooking up with American hip-hop star 50 cent, believing Pacman Promotions can start promoting his own fight and striking deals with other promoters, like Mayweather's camp, have been doing since bolting out from Top Rank.
Pacquiao catapulted back to boxing's upper echelon after his impressive 12-round unanimous decision win over Timothy Bradley to recapture the WBO Welterweight crown on April 12 at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Prior to his win against the erstwhile undefeated fighter, Pacman ended his two-fight losing streak with an all-out domination against Brandon Rios in Macau, China in November 2013.
Pacquiao is now waiting for the winner between Juan Manuel Marquez and Mike Alvarado slugfest on May 17. The Marquez-Alvarado clash serves as the title-eliminator fight for the WBO Welterweight Belt.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps