Gmail Taps 1B Downloads; 'First Android App' to Reach a Milestone
By Pavithra Rathinavel | May 14, 2014 9:10 PM EST
Gmail Crosses 1 Billion Downloads
Gmail is the first app to reach this significant milestone. The one billion downloads displayed in Google Play Store is a listing of the total unique accounts and not the total number of users that downloaded the app. The one billion unique accounts also contain the dormant and duplicate user accounts.
Also, other famous apps like Facebook, Google Search and YouTube, among others have more active users than Gmail. But Gmail app is pre-installed on most of the Android phones and this helped Gmail accomplish this feat.
Google Play Services crossed the one billion mark way before Gmail, but technically, it is not an app. This service is automatically installed on any device that has Play Store in it and runs on Android version 2.2 or higher. The Play Services comes pre-installed on Android smartphones.
Popular apps like WhatsApp, Google Search, Google Maps, YouTube and Facebook are firmly placed in the five hundred million to one billion ambit. Hence, the next app to cross this milestone could easily be one of these apps.
In addition to this massive feat, Google's Gmail will celebrate its two-year anniversary next month as the "most used email" service. If rumors were true, this could mark the rollout of the significant design change to the users interface, NDTV claimed.
According to leaked screenshots, a new user interface design of Gmail could be in the offing. The ultimate goal of this redesign is to make Gmail's UI look uncluttered.
Aside from the existing tabs like Social, Promotional, Updates and Forums, the new redesign will introduce Travel, Purchases and Finance tabs.
Apart from the altered size and smooth design, the menu on the left side of the inbox has a slide-in pane. The other significant alteration includes the location of "Compose" button that is currently moved to the bottom-right corner. Also, the "Star" option to highlight an important mail is replaced by a "pin."
Interested readers can check out the killer tips and tricks for Gmail by clicking here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown