Gmail Taps 1B Downloads; 'First Android App' to Reach a Milestone
By Pavithra Rathinavel | May 14, 2014 9:10 PM EST
Gmail Crosses 1 Billion Downloads
Gmail is the first app to reach this significant milestone. The one billion downloads displayed in Google Play Store is a listing of the total unique accounts and not the total number of users that downloaded the app. The one billion unique accounts also contain the dormant and duplicate user accounts.
Also, other famous apps like Facebook, Google Search and YouTube, among others have more active users than Gmail. But Gmail app is pre-installed on most of the Android phones and this helped Gmail accomplish this feat.
Google Play Services crossed the one billion mark way before Gmail, but technically, it is not an app. This service is automatically installed on any device that has Play Store in it and runs on Android version 2.2 or higher. The Play Services comes pre-installed on Android smartphones.
Popular apps like WhatsApp, Google Search, Google Maps, YouTube and Facebook are firmly placed in the five hundred million to one billion ambit. Hence, the next app to cross this milestone could easily be one of these apps.
In addition to this massive feat, Google's Gmail will celebrate its two-year anniversary next month as the "most used email" service. If rumors were true, this could mark the rollout of the significant design change to the users interface, NDTV claimed.
According to leaked screenshots, a new user interface design of Gmail could be in the offing. The ultimate goal of this redesign is to make Gmail's UI look uncluttered.
Aside from the existing tabs like Social, Promotional, Updates and Forums, the new redesign will introduce Travel, Purchases and Finance tabs.
Apart from the altered size and smooth design, the menu on the left side of the inbox has a slide-in pane. The other significant alteration includes the location of "Compose" button that is currently moved to the bottom-right corner. Also, the "Star" option to highlight an important mail is replaced by a "pin."
Interested readers can check out the killer tips and tricks for Gmail by clicking here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet