NBA News: Utah Jazz to Tap John Stockton as Head Coach?
By James Patrick Quizon | May 14, 2014 7:20 PM EST
Good news for hardcore Utah Jazz fans: the franchise is expected to ask former player and NBA great John Stockton if he’s interested in re-joining the squad as head coach.
While Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey has neither confirmed nor denied the report, about 20 candidates will be interviewed in one form or another for the head coaching gig and Stockton is part of that group according to ESPN.com.
“All the speculation is very premature,” said Lindsey, who admitted that the Jazz aren’t ready to declare anyone as the top candidate.
Tyrone Corbin was sacked last April and will not return as head coach for the job. Corbin replaced long-time coach Jerry Sloan in 2011 and spent three years with the Jazz with a 112-146 win-loss record.
Other candidates rumoured to replace Corbin are Jim Boylen (San Antonio Spurs assistant and former coach of University of Utah), Adrian Griffin (Chicago Bulls assistant); Brad Jones (current Utah Jazz assistant); Quin Snyder (former coach for Missouri) and Ettore Messina (European coach) among many others.
Stockton also played under Sloan in all of his 19 years in the NBA. Though he has zero coaching experience, he is considered the “best pure point guard of all time” and his knowledge of the game can easily help him from being a successful former player to head coach.
The 52-year-old Stockton is the all-time assists leader (15,806) and the all-time steals leader (3,265) in NBA history. He was also inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2009.
The Jazz have already taken in former Stockton buddies in Karl Malone (as development coach) and Sloan (team advisor) in recent years. Former teammate Jeff Hornacek is also back in the NBA as well leading the Phoenix Suns to a successful regular season in his first year as head coach.
Should the Jazz hire former the NBA legend as head coach?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related