Home Team Brazil Announce World Cup Squad, Kaka, Ronaldinho Out
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 14, 2014 6:18 PM EST
Brazil's home team are heavy favourites to win the 2014 World Cup this year. South American teams have historically done very well on home soil and the list of warriors who will attempt to take the trophy from Spain have been announced.
Brazil forward Neymar celebrates after scoring against South Korea in their international friendly, October 12
Following the trend in other teams such as England and Germany, Brazil Team Manager, Luis Felipe Scolari seems to have gone along with the trend by choosing youth and hunger over experience and celebrity. The biggest names that have been left out are veterans Ronaldinho, Robinho and Kaka.
Napoli player Henrique also caused much controversy as many believe that he is not worthy of a spot in the Barazil team. Scolari however, knows the player well after working with him in Palmeiras when he was in charge in 2012 before Henrique moved to play in Italy.
"He's an average to below average player. He's not good enough for Brazil. Other than Henrique, there's nothing that crazy on the list," said ESPN journalist Leonardo Bertozzi.
Chemistry within the team will be helped by the presence of several players who play for the same clubs. David Luiz, Ramires, Oscar and Willian all play for Chelsea FC.
Barcelona striker Neymar Jr. Will be expected to shine in the tournament despite his mediocre performance in Barcelona this season where he has yet to prove himself worthy of his € 57 million transfer fee.
Scolari was also at the helm of the Brazil squad that won the Confederations cup in 2013 defeating Italy Uruguay and defending World Cup Champions, Spain.
Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Toronto FC), Jefferson (Botafogo), Victor (Atletico Mineiro)
Defenders: David Luiz (Chelsea), Dante (Bayern Munich), Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain), Henrique (Napoli), Maicon (Roma), Dani Alves (Barcelona), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Maxwell (Paris Saint-Germain)
Midfielders: Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg), Paulinho (Tottenham), Fernandinho (Manchester City), Ramires (Chelsea), Oscar (Chelsea), Willian (Chelsea), Hernanes (Inter Milan)
Forwards: Hulk (Zenit St. Petersburg), Bernard (Shakhtar Donetsk), Neymar (Barcelona), Jo (Atletico Mineiro), Fred (Fluminense)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics