Home Team Brazil Announce World Cup Squad, Kaka, Ronaldinho Out
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 14, 2014 6:18 PM EST
Brazil's home team are heavy favourites to win the 2014 World Cup this year. South American teams have historically done very well on home soil and the list of warriors who will attempt to take the trophy from Spain have been announced.
Brazil forward Neymar celebrates after scoring against South Korea in their international friendly, October 12
Following the trend in other teams such as England and Germany, Brazil Team Manager, Luis Felipe Scolari seems to have gone along with the trend by choosing youth and hunger over experience and celebrity. The biggest names that have been left out are veterans Ronaldinho, Robinho and Kaka.
Napoli player Henrique also caused much controversy as many believe that he is not worthy of a spot in the Barazil team. Scolari however, knows the player well after working with him in Palmeiras when he was in charge in 2012 before Henrique moved to play in Italy.
"He's an average to below average player. He's not good enough for Brazil. Other than Henrique, there's nothing that crazy on the list," said ESPN journalist Leonardo Bertozzi.
Chemistry within the team will be helped by the presence of several players who play for the same clubs. David Luiz, Ramires, Oscar and Willian all play for Chelsea FC.
Barcelona striker Neymar Jr. Will be expected to shine in the tournament despite his mediocre performance in Barcelona this season where he has yet to prove himself worthy of his € 57 million transfer fee.
Scolari was also at the helm of the Brazil squad that won the Confederations cup in 2013 defeating Italy Uruguay and defending World Cup Champions, Spain.
Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Toronto FC), Jefferson (Botafogo), Victor (Atletico Mineiro)
Defenders: David Luiz (Chelsea), Dante (Bayern Munich), Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain), Henrique (Napoli), Maicon (Roma), Dani Alves (Barcelona), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Maxwell (Paris Saint-Germain)
Midfielders: Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg), Paulinho (Tottenham), Fernandinho (Manchester City), Ramires (Chelsea), Oscar (Chelsea), Willian (Chelsea), Hernanes (Inter Milan)
Forwards: Hulk (Zenit St. Petersburg), Bernard (Shakhtar Donetsk), Neymar (Barcelona), Jo (Atletico Mineiro), Fred (Fluminense)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones