Home Team Brazil Announce World Cup Squad, Kaka, Ronaldinho Out
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 14, 2014 6:18 PM EST
Brazil's home team are heavy favourites to win the 2014 World Cup this year. South American teams have historically done very well on home soil and the list of warriors who will attempt to take the trophy from Spain have been announced.
Brazil forward Neymar celebrates after scoring against South Korea in their international friendly, October 12
Following the trend in other teams such as England and Germany, Brazil Team Manager, Luis Felipe Scolari seems to have gone along with the trend by choosing youth and hunger over experience and celebrity. The biggest names that have been left out are veterans Ronaldinho, Robinho and Kaka.
Napoli player Henrique also caused much controversy as many believe that he is not worthy of a spot in the Barazil team. Scolari however, knows the player well after working with him in Palmeiras when he was in charge in 2012 before Henrique moved to play in Italy.
"He's an average to below average player. He's not good enough for Brazil. Other than Henrique, there's nothing that crazy on the list," said ESPN journalist Leonardo Bertozzi.
Chemistry within the team will be helped by the presence of several players who play for the same clubs. David Luiz, Ramires, Oscar and Willian all play for Chelsea FC.
Barcelona striker Neymar Jr. Will be expected to shine in the tournament despite his mediocre performance in Barcelona this season where he has yet to prove himself worthy of his € 57 million transfer fee.
Scolari was also at the helm of the Brazil squad that won the Confederations cup in 2013 defeating Italy Uruguay and defending World Cup Champions, Spain.
Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Toronto FC), Jefferson (Botafogo), Victor (Atletico Mineiro)
Defenders: David Luiz (Chelsea), Dante (Bayern Munich), Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain), Henrique (Napoli), Maicon (Roma), Dani Alves (Barcelona), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Maxwell (Paris Saint-Germain)
Midfielders: Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg), Paulinho (Tottenham), Fernandinho (Manchester City), Ramires (Chelsea), Oscar (Chelsea), Willian (Chelsea), Hernanes (Inter Milan)
Forwards: Hulk (Zenit St. Petersburg), Bernard (Shakhtar Donetsk), Neymar (Barcelona), Jo (Atletico Mineiro), Fred (Fluminense)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015