Home Team Brazil Announce World Cup Squad, Kaka, Ronaldinho Out
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 14, 2014 6:18 PM EST
Brazil's home team are heavy favourites to win the 2014 World Cup this year. South American teams have historically done very well on home soil and the list of warriors who will attempt to take the trophy from Spain have been announced.
Brazil forward Neymar celebrates after scoring against South Korea in their international friendly, October 12
Following the trend in other teams such as England and Germany, Brazil Team Manager, Luis Felipe Scolari seems to have gone along with the trend by choosing youth and hunger over experience and celebrity. The biggest names that have been left out are veterans Ronaldinho, Robinho and Kaka.
Napoli player Henrique also caused much controversy as many believe that he is not worthy of a spot in the Barazil team. Scolari however, knows the player well after working with him in Palmeiras when he was in charge in 2012 before Henrique moved to play in Italy.
"He's an average to below average player. He's not good enough for Brazil. Other than Henrique, there's nothing that crazy on the list," said ESPN journalist Leonardo Bertozzi.
Chemistry within the team will be helped by the presence of several players who play for the same clubs. David Luiz, Ramires, Oscar and Willian all play for Chelsea FC.
Barcelona striker Neymar Jr. Will be expected to shine in the tournament despite his mediocre performance in Barcelona this season where he has yet to prove himself worthy of his € 57 million transfer fee.
Scolari was also at the helm of the Brazil squad that won the Confederations cup in 2013 defeating Italy Uruguay and defending World Cup Champions, Spain.
Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Toronto FC), Jefferson (Botafogo), Victor (Atletico Mineiro)
Defenders: David Luiz (Chelsea), Dante (Bayern Munich), Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain), Henrique (Napoli), Maicon (Roma), Dani Alves (Barcelona), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Maxwell (Paris Saint-Germain)
Midfielders: Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg), Paulinho (Tottenham), Fernandinho (Manchester City), Ramires (Chelsea), Oscar (Chelsea), Willian (Chelsea), Hernanes (Inter Milan)
Forwards: Hulk (Zenit St. Petersburg), Bernard (Shakhtar Donetsk), Neymar (Barcelona), Jo (Atletico Mineiro), Fred (Fluminense)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions