Home Team Brazil Announce World Cup Squad, Kaka, Ronaldinho Out
By Christine Jane Caparras | May 14, 2014 6:18 PM EST
Brazil's home team are heavy favourites to win the 2014 World Cup this year. South American teams have historically done very well on home soil and the list of warriors who will attempt to take the trophy from Spain have been announced.
Brazil forward Neymar celebrates after scoring against South Korea in their international friendly, October 12
Following the trend in other teams such as England and Germany, Brazil Team Manager, Luis Felipe Scolari seems to have gone along with the trend by choosing youth and hunger over experience and celebrity. The biggest names that have been left out are veterans Ronaldinho, Robinho and Kaka.
Napoli player Henrique also caused much controversy as many believe that he is not worthy of a spot in the Barazil team. Scolari however, knows the player well after working with him in Palmeiras when he was in charge in 2012 before Henrique moved to play in Italy.
"He's an average to below average player. He's not good enough for Brazil. Other than Henrique, there's nothing that crazy on the list," said ESPN journalist Leonardo Bertozzi.
Chemistry within the team will be helped by the presence of several players who play for the same clubs. David Luiz, Ramires, Oscar and Willian all play for Chelsea FC.
Barcelona striker Neymar Jr. Will be expected to shine in the tournament despite his mediocre performance in Barcelona this season where he has yet to prove himself worthy of his € 57 million transfer fee.
Scolari was also at the helm of the Brazil squad that won the Confederations cup in 2013 defeating Italy Uruguay and defending World Cup Champions, Spain.
Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Toronto FC), Jefferson (Botafogo), Victor (Atletico Mineiro)
Defenders: David Luiz (Chelsea), Dante (Bayern Munich), Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain), Henrique (Napoli), Maicon (Roma), Dani Alves (Barcelona), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Maxwell (Paris Saint-Germain)
Midfielders: Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg), Paulinho (Tottenham), Fernandinho (Manchester City), Ramires (Chelsea), Oscar (Chelsea), Willian (Chelsea), Hernanes (Inter Milan)
Forwards: Hulk (Zenit St. Petersburg), Bernard (Shakhtar Donetsk), Neymar (Barcelona), Jo (Atletico Mineiro), Fred (Fluminense)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build