'Wolverine 3' Marks Hugh Jackman's End To 'X-Men' Career
By Tanya Diente | May 14, 2014 4:03 PM EST
"Wolverine" follows the life of a mutant named Logan, played by Hugh Jackman. In this Marvel Comics-inspired movie, Hugh Jackman has extreme healing abilities, so extreme that it gave him the "curse" of immortality. He has since been into different life-threatening situations all throughout his years. He has become a soldier, a samurai, a superhero, an X-Man and an Avenger. This has always been the case in the Marvel comics. Wolverine does not die. However, according to Screenrant, Wolverine must die especially since Hugh Jackman, now at 45, is not getting any younger.
Australian actor Hugh Jackman poses as he attends the "X-Men: Days of Future Past" world movie premiere in New York May 10, 2014.
The timing couldn't be perfect. Two weeks ago, Marvel Comics has revealed their plans of killing Wolverine and it's going to happen in September. EW announced that Marvel has developed a new story in Wolverine's history in "3 Months to Die." This story, written by Charles Soule, will strip Wolverine of his healing abilities, and it will conclude in a four-part miniseries called "Death of Wolverine."
"Death of Wolverine no. 1" (photo) debuts on Sept 3, while the next three issues of the series will follow every week, climaxing with "Death of Wolverine no. 4" on Sept 24.
The idea to kill Wolverine, according to Marvel's executive editor Michael Marts, came out during a discussion among the writers and editors of Marvel.
"For a long time, no matter who Wolverine was battling, he's been the eternal victor. Now he finally comes up against an adversary that he cannot win against, he cannot fight," Marts told EW. Meanwhile, Soule hopes that "Wolverine" fans would feel that Wolverine died in a way that was true to him.
Wolverine's death will have implications throughout the Marvel Universe at large and this includes "X-Men." Will "Death of Wolverine" be Hugh Jackman's end to his career with "X-Men?"
Hugh Jackman has stuck with his role as Wolverine for fourteen years (photo), starting at age 31 when the first "X-Men" opened (photo). However, he is also well aware of the fact that, someday, the role of Wolverine will be recast. The actor admitted to Daily News last year, that it's only a matter of time before age will catch up to him, and he would no longer be able to undergo the physical training needed for his role.
However, filmmaker Lauren Schuler, seems reluctant to recast the part when she declared that she'll "cry" if Jackman decides to leave. Does Marvel Comics also share the same sentiment over the recast, that they decided to kill Wolverine instead? Hugh Jackman has become an iconic symbol the moment he played Wolverine. It would somehow feel like an "insult" seeing a new actor playing his role. The image of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine has stuck to fans everywhere. Ask someone what their favourite movie is of Hugh Jackman, and "Wolverine" comes out even before they knew it. Regardless, Marvel's "Death of Wolverine" should end the recast rumour.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen