'Wolverine 3' Marks Hugh Jackman's End To 'X-Men' Career
By Tanya Diente | May 14, 2014 4:03 PM EST
"Wolverine" follows the life of a mutant named Logan, played by Hugh Jackman. In this Marvel Comics-inspired movie, Hugh Jackman has extreme healing abilities, so extreme that it gave him the "curse" of immortality. He has since been into different life-threatening situations all throughout his years. He has become a soldier, a samurai, a superhero, an X-Man and an Avenger. This has always been the case in the Marvel comics. Wolverine does not die. However, according to Screenrant, Wolverine must die especially since Hugh Jackman, now at 45, is not getting any younger.
Australian actor Hugh Jackman poses as he attends the "X-Men: Days of Future Past" world movie premiere in New York May 10, 2014.
The timing couldn't be perfect. Two weeks ago, Marvel Comics has revealed their plans of killing Wolverine and it's going to happen in September. EW announced that Marvel has developed a new story in Wolverine's history in "3 Months to Die." This story, written by Charles Soule, will strip Wolverine of his healing abilities, and it will conclude in a four-part miniseries called "Death of Wolverine."
"Death of Wolverine no. 1" (photo) debuts on Sept 3, while the next three issues of the series will follow every week, climaxing with "Death of Wolverine no. 4" on Sept 24.
The idea to kill Wolverine, according to Marvel's executive editor Michael Marts, came out during a discussion among the writers and editors of Marvel.
"For a long time, no matter who Wolverine was battling, he's been the eternal victor. Now he finally comes up against an adversary that he cannot win against, he cannot fight," Marts told EW. Meanwhile, Soule hopes that "Wolverine" fans would feel that Wolverine died in a way that was true to him.
Wolverine's death will have implications throughout the Marvel Universe at large and this includes "X-Men." Will "Death of Wolverine" be Hugh Jackman's end to his career with "X-Men?"
Hugh Jackman has stuck with his role as Wolverine for fourteen years (photo), starting at age 31 when the first "X-Men" opened (photo). However, he is also well aware of the fact that, someday, the role of Wolverine will be recast. The actor admitted to Daily News last year, that it's only a matter of time before age will catch up to him, and he would no longer be able to undergo the physical training needed for his role.
However, filmmaker Lauren Schuler, seems reluctant to recast the part when she declared that she'll "cry" if Jackman decides to leave. Does Marvel Comics also share the same sentiment over the recast, that they decided to kill Wolverine instead? Hugh Jackman has become an iconic symbol the moment he played Wolverine. It would somehow feel like an "insult" seeing a new actor playing his role. The image of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine has stuck to fans everywhere. Ask someone what their favourite movie is of Hugh Jackman, and "Wolverine" comes out even before they knew it. Regardless, Marvel's "Death of Wolverine" should end the recast rumour.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage