'Wolverine 3' Marks Hugh Jackman's End To 'X-Men' Career
By Tanya Diente | May 14, 2014 4:03 PM EST
"Wolverine" follows the life of a mutant named Logan, played by Hugh Jackman. In this Marvel Comics-inspired movie, Hugh Jackman has extreme healing abilities, so extreme that it gave him the "curse" of immortality. He has since been into different life-threatening situations all throughout his years. He has become a soldier, a samurai, a superhero, an X-Man and an Avenger. This has always been the case in the Marvel comics. Wolverine does not die. However, according to Screenrant, Wolverine must die especially since Hugh Jackman, now at 45, is not getting any younger.
Australian actor Hugh Jackman poses as he attends the "X-Men: Days of Future Past" world movie premiere in New York May 10, 2014.
The timing couldn't be perfect. Two weeks ago, Marvel Comics has revealed their plans of killing Wolverine and it's going to happen in September. EW announced that Marvel has developed a new story in Wolverine's history in "3 Months to Die." This story, written by Charles Soule, will strip Wolverine of his healing abilities, and it will conclude in a four-part miniseries called "Death of Wolverine."
"Death of Wolverine no. 1" (photo) debuts on Sept 3, while the next three issues of the series will follow every week, climaxing with "Death of Wolverine no. 4" on Sept 24.
The idea to kill Wolverine, according to Marvel's executive editor Michael Marts, came out during a discussion among the writers and editors of Marvel.
"For a long time, no matter who Wolverine was battling, he's been the eternal victor. Now he finally comes up against an adversary that he cannot win against, he cannot fight," Marts told EW. Meanwhile, Soule hopes that "Wolverine" fans would feel that Wolverine died in a way that was true to him.
Wolverine's death will have implications throughout the Marvel Universe at large and this includes "X-Men." Will "Death of Wolverine" be Hugh Jackman's end to his career with "X-Men?"
Hugh Jackman has stuck with his role as Wolverine for fourteen years (photo), starting at age 31 when the first "X-Men" opened (photo). However, he is also well aware of the fact that, someday, the role of Wolverine will be recast. The actor admitted to Daily News last year, that it's only a matter of time before age will catch up to him, and he would no longer be able to undergo the physical training needed for his role.
However, filmmaker Lauren Schuler, seems reluctant to recast the part when she declared that she'll "cry" if Jackman decides to leave. Does Marvel Comics also share the same sentiment over the recast, that they decided to kill Wolverine instead? Hugh Jackman has become an iconic symbol the moment he played Wolverine. It would somehow feel like an "insult" seeing a new actor playing his role. The image of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine has stuck to fans everywhere. Ask someone what their favourite movie is of Hugh Jackman, and "Wolverine" comes out even before they knew it. Regardless, Marvel's "Death of Wolverine" should end the recast rumour.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 'Sylvester Stallone Dies In Horrible Car Accident’ Death Hoax Goes Viral
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoiler: Revelation Of Reason Why Penny, Leonard ‘Not’ Getting Married Soon
- Emmy Awards 2014: Where To Watch Live Online, Top Nominations [VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelorette' Update: Andi Dorfman And Josh Murray To Setup Career In Hollywood- Reports
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett to Rediscover Nathan Fillion's Rick Castle; 'Derrick Storm' Coming to ABC [VIDEO]
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza
- US, Syria to Work Together to Vaporise ISIS
- European Central Bank Advises Action to Boost Demand and Employment In EU