'Wolverine 3' Marks Hugh Jackman's End To 'X-Men' Career
By Tanya Diente | May 14, 2014 4:03 PM EST
"Wolverine" follows the life of a mutant named Logan, played by Hugh Jackman. In this Marvel Comics-inspired movie, Hugh Jackman has extreme healing abilities, so extreme that it gave him the "curse" of immortality. He has since been into different life-threatening situations all throughout his years. He has become a soldier, a samurai, a superhero, an X-Man and an Avenger. This has always been the case in the Marvel comics. Wolverine does not die. However, according to Screenrant, Wolverine must die especially since Hugh Jackman, now at 45, is not getting any younger.
Australian actor Hugh Jackman poses as he attends the "X-Men: Days of Future Past" world movie premiere in New York May 10, 2014.
The timing couldn't be perfect. Two weeks ago, Marvel Comics has revealed their plans of killing Wolverine and it's going to happen in September. EW announced that Marvel has developed a new story in Wolverine's history in "3 Months to Die." This story, written by Charles Soule, will strip Wolverine of his healing abilities, and it will conclude in a four-part miniseries called "Death of Wolverine."
"Death of Wolverine no. 1" (photo) debuts on Sept 3, while the next three issues of the series will follow every week, climaxing with "Death of Wolverine no. 4" on Sept 24.
The idea to kill Wolverine, according to Marvel's executive editor Michael Marts, came out during a discussion among the writers and editors of Marvel.
"For a long time, no matter who Wolverine was battling, he's been the eternal victor. Now he finally comes up against an adversary that he cannot win against, he cannot fight," Marts told EW. Meanwhile, Soule hopes that "Wolverine" fans would feel that Wolverine died in a way that was true to him.
Wolverine's death will have implications throughout the Marvel Universe at large and this includes "X-Men." Will "Death of Wolverine" be Hugh Jackman's end to his career with "X-Men?"
Hugh Jackman has stuck with his role as Wolverine for fourteen years (photo), starting at age 31 when the first "X-Men" opened (photo). However, he is also well aware of the fact that, someday, the role of Wolverine will be recast. The actor admitted to Daily News last year, that it's only a matter of time before age will catch up to him, and he would no longer be able to undergo the physical training needed for his role.
However, filmmaker Lauren Schuler, seems reluctant to recast the part when she declared that she'll "cry" if Jackman decides to leave. Does Marvel Comics also share the same sentiment over the recast, that they decided to kill Wolverine instead? Hugh Jackman has become an iconic symbol the moment he played Wolverine. It would somehow feel like an "insult" seeing a new actor playing his role. The image of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine has stuck to fans everywhere. Ask someone what their favourite movie is of Hugh Jackman, and "Wolverine" comes out even before they knew it. Regardless, Marvel's "Death of Wolverine" should end the recast rumour.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People