BlackBerry Ltd Releases Low-cost Touchscreen Smartphone, Racing against Apple Inc in the Emerging Market
By Athena Yenko | May 14, 2014 3:43 PM EST
The low-cost Z3 is the very first offering of devices manufactured by FIH Mobile Ltd that belonged to Taiwanese Foxconn Technology Group. Foxconn is one of Apple Inc's chief supplier for its iPhone and iPads.
The Z3 is being sold at $200 and will begin roll out on May 15. The price is an answer to consumers' reaction to the expensive BlackBerry 10.
In an interview with Reuters, Ryan Lai, market analyst at consultancy IDC, said that the device is the deciding factor whether BlackBerry should continue with its smartphone production in the future.
"If this device allows them to grow again, even if it's just small, steady growth, that's a success in itself. That says there is still room for BlackBerry in Indonesia ," he said.
New BlackBerry Chief Executive John Chen put up with all the challenge as the device was the very first phone launched under his leadership.
"If the market doesn't receive this product well, then we definitely have some negative issues to deal with," Chen said during the launch in Indonesia.
"From conception to delivery, the BlackBerry Z3 Jakarta Edition was designed specifically with our Indonesian customers in mind. The device will allow users to type in Bahasa and come with a special set of BlackBerry Messenger, or BBM Stickers featuring local characters," said Chen.
Meanwhile, Upstream and researcher Ovum said that Apple is the most desirable phone among emerging markets even if consumers could not afford it.
Unfortunately, Apple had not come up with more affordable units to meet these demands. The iPhone 5c is still too expensive for consumers in the emerging market.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports