BlackBerry Ltd Releases Low-cost Touchscreen Smartphone, Racing against Apple Inc in the Emerging Market
By Athena Yenko | May 14, 2014 3:43 PM EST
The low-cost Z3 is the very first offering of devices manufactured by FIH Mobile Ltd that belonged to Taiwanese Foxconn Technology Group. Foxconn is one of Apple Inc's chief supplier for its iPhone and iPads.
The Z3 is being sold at $200 and will begin roll out on May 15. The price is an answer to consumers' reaction to the expensive BlackBerry 10.
In an interview with Reuters, Ryan Lai, market analyst at consultancy IDC, said that the device is the deciding factor whether BlackBerry should continue with its smartphone production in the future.
"If this device allows them to grow again, even if it's just small, steady growth, that's a success in itself. That says there is still room for BlackBerry in Indonesia ," he said.
New BlackBerry Chief Executive John Chen put up with all the challenge as the device was the very first phone launched under his leadership.
"If the market doesn't receive this product well, then we definitely have some negative issues to deal with," Chen said during the launch in Indonesia.
"From conception to delivery, the BlackBerry Z3 Jakarta Edition was designed specifically with our Indonesian customers in mind. The device will allow users to type in Bahasa and come with a special set of BlackBerry Messenger, or BBM Stickers featuring local characters," said Chen.
Meanwhile, Upstream and researcher Ovum said that Apple is the most desirable phone among emerging markets even if consumers could not afford it.
Unfortunately, Apple had not come up with more affordable units to meet these demands. The iPhone 5c is still too expensive for consumers in the emerging market.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Tweens Fool Their Parents Online, McAfee Reports
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Transfer News: In Demand Everton Midfielder Silence Speculations by Penning New Deal [VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Transfer News: Star Midfielder Pledges Future with Manchester City [VIDEO]
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand