BlackBerry Ltd Releases Low-cost Touchscreen Smartphone, Racing against Apple Inc in the Emerging Market
By Athena Yenko | May 14, 2014 3:43 PM EST
The low-cost Z3 is the very first offering of devices manufactured by FIH Mobile Ltd that belonged to Taiwanese Foxconn Technology Group. Foxconn is one of Apple Inc's chief supplier for its iPhone and iPads.
The Z3 is being sold at $200 and will begin roll out on May 15. The price is an answer to consumers' reaction to the expensive BlackBerry 10.
In an interview with Reuters, Ryan Lai, market analyst at consultancy IDC, said that the device is the deciding factor whether BlackBerry should continue with its smartphone production in the future.
"If this device allows them to grow again, even if it's just small, steady growth, that's a success in itself. That says there is still room for BlackBerry in Indonesia ," he said.
New BlackBerry Chief Executive John Chen put up with all the challenge as the device was the very first phone launched under his leadership.
"If the market doesn't receive this product well, then we definitely have some negative issues to deal with," Chen said during the launch in Indonesia.
"From conception to delivery, the BlackBerry Z3 Jakarta Edition was designed specifically with our Indonesian customers in mind. The device will allow users to type in Bahasa and come with a special set of BlackBerry Messenger, or BBM Stickers featuring local characters," said Chen.
Meanwhile, Upstream and researcher Ovum said that Apple is the most desirable phone among emerging markets even if consumers could not afford it.
Unfortunately, Apple had not come up with more affordable units to meet these demands. The iPhone 5c is still too expensive for consumers in the emerging market.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS